trail guns article in G/A

there is a couple page "review" of some .22 "trail guns" in the new Guns And Ammo magazine. didnt get a chance to read it but looked like the classis rugers and some brownings maybe. i see the question about them on here sometimes so i figured id throw it up. although gun magazines tend to give good reviews to every gun. go figure. -CB

Not to start up a can of worms, but those five guns were selected for that article simply because they did what they were supposed to do. They would not have been included if they didn't. :)

The unfortunate part is that space apparently didn't allow for the performance charts submitted so you could compare how they did overall and against each other.

The Ruger Single-Six, despite its long hammer fall, was very competitive with the autos and more accurate across the board than the little S&W 34 kit gun.

As far as giving good reviews to every gun goes, you only see the ones that are good enough to make print, which kinda skews the argument. :) Those that aren't, don't.
Cancelled a piece this morning on one that didn't pan out at the range, it happens.

Denis

Bill Siegle

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
DPris, I have heard that same reasoning before applied to the knife mags.....for the most part if the gun and knife magazines aren't writing anything about a product, many times it is because they simply can't find anything good to say. Very few times are the idustry insiders simply unaware of a product on the market :) Gotta get myself a copy of the new G&A and read the article. Most of my gun collection could fit the category of trail guns. Everything from 44mags to pocket sized 22lr. I could probabl;y convince myself how each one is the perfect trail gun :)

i can understand that argument and im sure theyd make some companies mad by calling their product junk. it just seems biased when they dont. i believe i got one a few months ago and it talked about the ruger hawkeye and after the author gave it a review he said something to the affect of "i havent actually held or fired the gun yet, but im sure when i do it will be great". haha now that was a joke. i think G/A does review good guns. its more so the less distributed "tactical so and so" magazines that really say everything is great when i have used the same product that is def. junk. -CB

With the 1400-word space restriction on that article, there wasn't room for anything more than an overview, but each of the guns shown would be a good choice as a small game getter in a trailgun or emergency role.
I don't write up junk. :) If it's junk, it's outa here quick and I'm on to the next project.

The Ruger Single-Six and S&W 34 were already mine, we had enough other Ruger .22 autos in the house so the test sample was returned, and I personally prefer the older blued 4-inch S&W rimfire to the longer stainless version so that long-barreled Smith was also returned to its maker when the project was done. The Browning impressed me enough to buy, and it was a popular shooter when we had family over a couple weeks back with kids running from 8-12 in age.

I won't comment on gun mags in general or other writers, but what you see in that G&A thing is factual. :)

Denis

FWIW, I found that Gun Tests is one magazine that tells it as it is. They buy their guns at gun stores, don't take them direct from the manufacturer, and rate them pretty strictly but fairly based on their intended use. They tell all the warts as well as the good things.
Hope this helps.

Bill Siegle

DPris, I don't suppose you have enough pull to convince S&W to give us a 4in 34 do you? I love my 4inch 617 but to have one of the original kit guns would be sweet! :D As far as the validity of articles in any magazine, I take em all with a grain of salt. Same as any other experiance/opinion I get second hand. I have learned that your pot of gold might be my chamber pot and vice versa. The way gun companies get my $$$ is by most times putting out good products and also by taking care of the defective few in a professional and timley manner. That probably explains why S&W,Ruger, and Glock get a lot of my money(lots of others too but I don't feel like listing everything).

Ed,
Not strictly true.
Denis

I've heard this as well, and I do understand that magazines are out to get sales and sponsorship/advertisement are as important as sales. I do like that Gun Tests will test comparable firearms and rate them against each other...I know fluff exists, but it's a nice review when trying to decide on a compact 9mm, J-Frame or .22 plinker, etc. It must be hard to do a positive review if the firearm doesn't function well, FTF/FTE's or is just plain inaccurate. I know a lot of firearms are probably sent back to the manufacturer for replacement, but even that is a good thing as it gives them a chance to remedy the problem for the public.

ROCK6

Bill,
I have every bit as much pull with S&W as you do. :D
While they are doing more blued models (they say the stainless customer demand has shifted a bit), I'm not sure they'll re-introduce a blued 4-inch .22 revolver.
In my case, I picked up my near mint 34 off one of the gun auction sites a while back. When I was 10, an uncle introduced me to exploring the back country, old mining areas & so on, something I still love to do today. During a couple of those trips he allowed me to carry his 34 on my belt and we shot it a bit along the way. It was the first revolver I ever got to shoot and it made a lasting impression. They are great classic little kit guns & it was sad to see them dropped from production.
I'd suggest you haunt the Internet, they do turn up & they're well worth searching for. :thumbup:
You should view anything you see in print from the same angle as any other source of information- evaluate it, recognize that opinions and conclusions vary, and if you find something useful for your applications and needs then make it your own. If not, dump it.

Rock,
Straight comparisons are useful, and it's nice to have somebody else do the testing & provide you with a guideline on which gun to buy if you're in the market.
As I have mentioned elsewhere regarding Gun Tests, I know of one specific instance where they got their test sample directly from the same maker who loaned one to me (who knows how many other products reviewed were acquired in the same way without being mentioned?), they do not always understand the use (context) of a given gun they review, and they often base their judgements on what I consider side issues. In two subscriptions I've had with them over the years, several times I saw the equivalent of "Gun A was very accurate and never jammed once, but it had a grip panel that wasn't fitted perfectly. Gun B wasn't quite as accurate and it did jam a few times, but it sells for $200 less, the grip panels were perfectly fitted, and it worked most of the time, so we voted Gun B as the best buy of the two." :)

Not saying GT is useless, just understand that you need to apply the same criteria in reading their material as you do material from any other source:
Does the writer seem to understand the gun?
Does he (or she) seem to understand how it's used?
Does he understand how the gun compares to other guns of a similar type?
Does he seem to understand the importance of certain features?
Does he give useful info on the physical features of the gun?
And finally- does what he's saying make sense & will it work for me?

The ultimate test of ANY gun, of course, is what a specific sample does in YOUR hand. YOU have to be the final judge, we can only give you info on the gun & how one particular test sample worked for us with conclusions based (hopefully) on a certain amount of experience relative to the subject at hand.
Most of us stick to guns we know something about, I'd be lost trying to cover hunting & sporting shotguns since I have no experience or frame of reference with 'em & I'm very much aware of that.
I think one problem with GT is that they often have people reviewing guns & gun types that don't have a background with them that allows the best basis for reviewing them.
That is not a criticism of any individual at GT. :) If you find GT issues useful, keep on buying them. If not, don't, and the same thing goes for any other publication.

Denis

Bill,

If you are interested in a round-butt 4" Model 34-1 (with a Hunter holster to go along with it), I know where there is one available. I just traded it at my local gunshop here in Texas, and it's in great condition.

Ron

Everything from 44mags to pocket sized 22lr. I could probabl;y convince myself how each one is the perfect trail gun
I think guns are much like knives- they must be paired up to provide the best utility. The article was very interesting BTW.

JK Knives

Just got the magazine in the mail today. Interesting article, well written. I agree on the Single Six, I`ve had mine over 20 years now, I`ve sold and traded a lot of guns, but this one is a keeper!

John

Bill Siegle

Well since this thread and the mag article got me rethinking of the S&W Kit Guns I thought I would share this beauty :) My new(to me) S&W 34! Just got it today at the guns show for $350! Added the Tyler Tgrip when I got home but the gun is in awesome condition. I can hardly wait to get it to the range later today or tomorrow :)
SW+34.JPG

The little 34s are on a short list of S&W's greatest DA models ever made.
I need to find a couple more.
Bro-in-law can't be talked out of his, either.
Denis

Four-inch Browning standard blued Buckmark URX, four-inch Ruger 22/45.

Denis