Trailmaster cs BK9

My first post with this forum hello all. Considering either a C.S. Trailmaster carbon-v or a BK+T BK9.Have a C.S. SRK and am very happy with it. Very sharp out of box with good retention.
Cannot find any description of the 0710-C steel in the Becker. How does it compare with carbon-v(what is carbon-v?)and other steel?
How does the quality of the 2 knifes compare--fit+finish, heat treat, temper.
The cheapest I can find the Trailmaster is $108, the Becker $55-$60. Is the Trailmaster more than twice the knife?
I welcome all opinions and facts. ThankYou

Hello and welcome! :D Well, I have had some experience with the Trailmaster, but none with the BK+T, and I don't own either so, for what it's worth... :rolleyes: Based on my handling time of the Trailmaster, my observations with other's usage oof it, and my own experience with the SRK that I DO own, I can recommend the Trailmaster easily. I like the handle feel and blade heft, as well as the steel. You can get a factory second for $100 from Cold Steel. I think that, whatever way you go, you won't lose. However, for my money's worth, I'd take the Trailmaster. Or a Swamp Rat. If you have the money, I have heard they are awesome knives and would like to someday get one. Here's a link to their site:

http://swampratknifeworks.com

Good luck and welcome.

I have both, and greatly prefer the BK-9. Better sheath, better handle, probably the same steel.

I own several Beckers and recently "handed down" my 8 yo Trailmaster to a friend. I had great performance from the Trailmaster but found the BK-9 and the BK-7 for that matter, an equal if not more capable performer. The handles are more comfortable and the sheaths more versatile. It's true that the CS Trailmaster seconds can be had for @$100 but a first rate BK-9 can be found for @$60 making quite a bit more reasonable.

Dayuhan

Welcome aboard Derf. I have the BK9 and wholeheartedly recommend it. It is the best bang for the buck bar none. As noted above, the steel is on par (if not the same) as Carbon5. Becker wins outright with the knife, and also in customer service and warranty. If you decide to spend about triple the price you can find a marginally better knife.

Thank you for your replys. I should have included this at first.
Can i expect the BK9 to be as sharp out of the box as my SRK was,or the Trailmaster fop that matter. Also, is there a pocket in the Becker sheath for a Leatherman or whatever you would want to put in? I would like that.:cool:

My BK9 came extremely sharp. There is a pocket in the sheath that holds my Leatherman ST200 (without tool sheath, of course), so it will hold prolly any size multi-tool.

If it helps, I like my BK7 a lot more than I like my SRK. I suppose that is somewhat analogous to the BK9 vs. the Trailmaster.

Speaking of the trailmaster ... why is the price so low now? I have been outside of the knife loop for a while, but the last time I looked, Trailmasters were about $250 retail. Now they're pretty close to $100. Any reason for that?

Originally posted by rhino

Speaking of the trailmaster ... why is the price so low now? I have been outside of the knife loop for a while, but the last time I looked, Trailmasters were about $250 retail. Now they're pretty close to $100. Any reason for that?

Probably because they don't have the satin finish anymore(I'm guessing it's cheaper to put on the black coating than a satin finish), and they aren't the top of the line Cold Steel bowie anymore. The Laredo took that position.

Back