Trapper Bill and sodbusters.

For many years my friend who was a Frederick country knife maker had a shop right on old rt 40 heading west from Frederick to Boonsboro Maryland. The shop was sort of a Mecca or gathering place for knife buffs in general and all kinds of strange folk. Some of the crowd were hard core hanger on's and loafers, some were just there to see Bill Moran work on his knives. Bill would do silver inlay on maple that was truly beautifully. One of the people who came by on a fairly regular basis was this strange but likable local character, Bill B---k, a real professional trapper. Nobody in Frederick county knows more about animals and their habits than Trapper Bill. About medium height with a big bushy brown beard and somewhat scruffy attire, he is a mix of Gabby Hayes and Yosemite Sam, but very affable.

But as much as Trapper Bill admired nice knives like Bill Moran would make, he wouldn't have alot of money in what he himself carried. On many occasions I had run into him at Morans shop, and I had seen him sometimes take out a VERY well used yellow Case sodbuster with a almost black blade, when the Bill Moran B.S. society loafers were comparing pocket knives. Now Trapper Bill had alot of respect from these guys, all hard core hunters. Advise from Trapper Bill was a coveted and valued thing. Where were the deer moving to up on the mountain, whats the best spot on the Monocacy river for ducks? Bill gets paid a good sum by rich hunters out of Washington and Baltimore for his guide services. So when the loafers were comparing their Fighting Roosters or latest Case or Queen, it was surprising that Bill the trapper would show off his old soddie with pride.

After Bill Moran passed away almost a year ago, the members of what we began calling the Bill Moran Bull S-----r society made a promise to meet at least once a week at the Middletown Diner up the road. Now we do meet every Friday, in addition to any get togethers during the week. A couple of Mondays ago we got together for an old crocks day at the movies, and saw "Letters From Iwo Jima" for the senior citizens afternoon price. But last Friday Bill the trapper showed up at the Middletown diner and breakfast with us.

We had not seen Bill for a while and he was filling us in on his trapping business, and how he had a very lucrative thing going supplying pidgins/doves for the live bird shoots some rich doctors and lawyers have up on private estates in Western Maryland and up in Pennsylvania. Told us how their shotguns cost more than some cars. While he was talking he was trying to open one of those little square plastic things the jelly for the toast comes in. Finally loosing patience with the foil tab tearing off he takes out his old Case and cuts open the jelly pack. The blade was black as the Earl of Hell's riding boots, and the yellow delrin handle looked nicked and worn. I remarked on him still carrying his old Case, and expressed some surprise that he never got something a little newer.

He smiled and reached in his other pocket and took out another yellow Case soddie with a blade that was only a light grey in color. He told me that was his new knife for when his old knife finally wore out. After using a Case yellow handle sodbuster for so many years, he saw no reason to change. And this from a man who makes his living trapping and tracking game for high dollar sportsmen.

Maybe with a Case soddie in each side pocket he's a bit more Yosemite Sam than Gabby Hayes. Never under estimate a two soddie trapper.

Last edited:
Great tale, jk! Talk about faith in a soddie; all the knife you'll ever need!! As long as you have a spare;-)

Once again, the difference between a real user who is using a quality tool that works and the rest. Super steels, fancy materials, fancy fittings, are not required for real, every day using. Great tale that once again makes the point, JK.

And lucky you for the company you've been able to keep over your life. Of course, like us, they probably consider themselves lucky to hang around you.

Heck yeah, soddies rule. Soddies, Peanuts, and Scouts are probably my favorite patterns.

Sodbuster got enough point to work well on small game chores, or is it too blunt for that? They're inexpensive and I wouldn't mind having one to beat up on, but never having owned one, I'm a bit apprehensive about the blade shape. I'm used to clip points. I hate spear points on small game, like the camper and SAK's have, works very poorly. I had one drop point, hated it too, but it was a 4'' long by 1'' tall blade. Sodbusters are cheap enough that they avoid that old "knife costed too much to use" syndrome, IF ya'll have 'speriences with one that can testify that they work or no. Was that confusing enough wording???:confused: :D

Beleive it or not some of us younger folks actually listen to what you guys talk about. Not too long ago after reading one of your other posts I went out and bought an old Soddie at a pawn shop. It's managed to work it's way into my EDC. Love that flat grind. Keep em coming Jacknife.

I love my yellow handle Sodbuster jr with CV blades. My favorite carry knife. I have a yellow handle stockman cv that I try to carry every once in a while, but it just doesn't have the same feel as the sodbuster. So, I always set it back down and throw the sodbuster in my front right pocket. That is its home.

Back