Travel cutlery case

Hi everyone,

I made this case for a beautiful knife and fork set made by Dutch knifemaker Dan Adriolo. The leather is veg tan, the inlays ostrich. First time trying out ostrich :)

Hope you like it, comments are most welcome!

Frederiek

I really really like this! Excellent design and very well executed. I have a couple of suggestions if I might? On something this refined and elegant I think if you tightened up your stitch length a little it would add to your project. To the left of the Sam Browne stud when the case is closed you have the one stitch wehre the tension was too tight and the stitch is raised. Don't ya hate that. Whole project stitched perfect and then you have one raised stitch. It happens. I got this trick from Steve at The Leather Machine Co. I took a phillips jeweller's screwdriver and ground the end smooth. Basically making a blunt, smooth icepick. Using this, push that stitch back down. Works good with a couple light taps from a hammer. Now this will open the leather a little as your stitch pusher downer is gonna be of a larger diameter than the needle that punched the hole. But in a couple of days the leather will close up and be normal. Done right only you will ever know there was a raised stitch there.

Pure class on this one. Just lovely.

I agree with Dave about stitch count. Looks like it's about 5spi? If so, 7spi would look great. Only thing about tight stitches is that you need to be careful when pulling them tight. I've had the thread cut through the leather and that's a huge bummer when it happens.

Thanks for posting this. I had a gorgeous Santoku commissioned for my wife. The maker (Ian Hall) was kind enough to include a nice slip, but something like your design would be far better. As it stands my wife won't take the knife camping with us, but she might with a nice travel case. :)

Frederiek, I think this is extremely professional and anyone would be happy to have it tag along with them. Some things can be argued but your eye for detail isn't one of them.

Back