travel knife

Hi all,
I've recently been thinking of getting a 3in or under folder for travel and was hoping to get some recommendations and experiences with small Spydercos. Any help is appreciated. Also, where can I get some good pictures of Spyderco knives; current and newer models. Thanks in advance.

If you're talking air travel, I'd recommend sticking with plainedge if at all possible. I've never had a problem with the Co-Pilot, Navigator/Pegasus, Cricket, Dragonfly or Ladybug. The exception would be European travel- A few years ago when returning from Germany, I was relieved of my Co-Pilot. It was given to the flight crew and I received it back when I got to Boston. I was in France last summer and had no problem carrying my plainedge Co-Pilot on the aircraft in both the U.S. and France.

Any of the above is a first class product.

For pictures try www.spyderco.com, www.knifecenter.com or www.skylandscutlery.com

Ben

------------------
"If you're upside down and burning, you probably went too fast."

[This message has been edited by Fozzy (edited 07-26-2000).]

After too many trips to count, I've only gotten one second look with my Dragonfly, and that was nothing more than that, a second look. Plus, it cuts like a much bigger knife. Don't leave home without it
smile.gif

Do the SS versions do any better with security than the "evil" black lightweight versions? Just a thought... Might be able to boost sales of the blue and red Ladybugs that way!
smile.gif

I'd go check it out myself, but I'd rather keep my knives and stay out of jail!

------------------
John Rollins Jr KD7BCY
http://jrollins.tripod.com/
http://www.geocities.com/jrollins.geo/

[This message has been edited by jrollins (edited 07-26-2000).]

I took my serrated Dragonfly in my back pocket through Japan and China, and only once did they ask me to hand it over to security for safekeeping (I got it back at the other end, but I had to make my travel companions wait for me at least half an hour, and a helpful stewardess had to run around a bit and find out who it was delivered to).
Many people have said here that this can usually be avoided, just by tucking the knife into your carry-on instead of your pocket. If you then need it on the flight (e.g. airline "knives" not sharp enough -- they usually aren't!) then just take it out of your carry-on. They don't check you for sharp objects on the way out.

I usually carry my plain edge Military or my Starmate when traveling by air. Or sometimes my Police or Khalsa. Can't wait to get my Gunting and try it.
rolleyes.gif

Just kidding. I haven't had any trouble carrying my Spyderco Mouse. It is a great little knife and looks "cute". A dragonfly also works great. Wish Spyderco would make them in different handle colors.

CF Dragonfly has never received even a first glance when used as a money clip and tossed in the change tray (money side up!). Centofante Jr. in the carry-on has passed through the x-ray machine at Oakland, San Francisco, Dulles, Washington National, and Baltimore.

Of course, for ultimate airplane travel, I accidently carried a Camillus Tuxedo (it's a small two blade pen knife) through the metal detector in Zurich, without setting off the alarm.

------------------
Dave

Signature line needed. Apply within.

Delica - Just the right size and weight saving and a half-serrated spydercard in the wallet for those rainy days!
biggrin.gif

Sam

------------------
have spydies
will travel...

I flew from Cleveland to New Orleans last week.Boy, are my arms tired.I carried a plain edge Spyderco Delica as a money clip.It was no problem.The metal detector alarm did go off from something else in my pocket.I had to walk through the detector again,and it still went off.It was finally discovered to be the 3" ballchain keyring with my suitcase key attached.They finally let me through.Oddly enough, the keychain was attached to a "Keating" Stinger.Nothing was said about that.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Yes, airline travel is my main concern. I recently had my Spyderco Wegner taken from me at an airport in Texas. They wouldn't even hold on to it until the flight was over. Instead they mailed it back to me. I'm leaning toward the Spyderco Dragonfly with the stainless handle. I figure it'll look more like a small gents folder with that kind of handle on it. Thanks again.

The lightweight models (zytel) have so little metal that will go through almost all metal detectors.
This does not mean that you should try to "sneak" a knife on board, but for a Dragonfly or Cricket-sized knife, you just avoid the two-minute delay of explaining what it is.

The lightweight Cricket in plain edge is my travel knife of choice.

I really recommend the Dragonfly, stainless, w/plain edge. It's small enough, but like others have said, cuts like a bigger knife.

It's an ideal size for travel, with a blade length that's well under the 3" size limit. I'd also rec. plain edge, because people get a little nervous around the serrated edge blades (I prefer straight anyway).

The Dragonfly is a great, all around knife. I've got five Spydercos, but I carry the Dragonfly the most.

I'd go for the plain edge zytel Dragonfly. I used to fly Atl to San Jose & LA with one and they never gave it a second look. I also used to take a Sebenza but always put it in my checked baggage for fear of having in confiscated (expensive knife!!). That's the beauty of the zytel Dragonfly - it's affordable and if for some reason you weren't able to keep it it won't break the bank.

I'm thinking of upgrading to the CF Dragonfly but can't decide if I want it more than a Centofante...
frown.gif

Jon

Originally posted by Ghecko:
I'm thinking of upgrading to the CF Dragonfly but can't decide if I want it more than a Centofante...
frown.gif

Jon

Go with the Centofante.

------------------
Dave

Let no one ever from henceforth say one word in any way countenancing war. It is dangerous even to speak of how here and there the individual may gain some hardship of soul by it. For war is hell, and those who institute it are criminals. Siegfried Loraine Sassoon

My Cricket is serrated, but used as a money clip it's never even been looked at. My plain edged Boye folder with a 2 7/8" blade has only been looked at once as the tray passed by.

I like to carry a couple self addressed stamped cassette mailers so that if some rent-a-cop at a security gate thinks either one is a real threat, I can mail it to myself. Haven't done Europe yet, but I have carried these through three Caribbean trips, two times to Hawaii, once to Alaska and once to Cozumel Mexico. (No, I'm not rich, my wife is a Travel Agency Supervisor for AAA and it's amzing the deals she can get.)

Because my Boye folder is so flat and thin, I can slip it into my wallet and it's never seen. That's also after I've taken out all the credit cards, movie rental cards and other stuff you need at home but not traveling. It's amazing how much your wallet will stretch from all that stuff.

And speaking of stuff. I make sure that I pick the busiest line at the airport detectors, then I make sure that I put my Cricket and Boye in the plate first, and then I pile everything from my pockets on top of them, pens, change holder, memo pad, nail clippers, twezers, etc... . All the while I'm holding on to the plate, patting my pockets and holding up the line. I'm cooperating to the nth degree, smiling and chatting, and they're trying to hurry the nice slightly befuddled old man along. Many times, by the time I've handed them the plate and stepped through the detector, they haven't even looked in it.

Just a little camoflauge and mis-direction.

------------------
All you need is love... a sharp blade and a full clip

Back