1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Triad lock stuck?!

Discussion in 'Cold Steel Knives' started by mwhich50, Jun 6, 2019.

1. mwhich50

mwhich50 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 18, 2011
    I just received my 'Summer Sale' Golden Eye, and Swift 1. Both had fingerprints all over the blades (?).
    After only a half dozen deployments the Golden Eye's blade is STUCK in the open position. The backlock won't budge a mm. I think I have seen this problem reported in the CS forum before. I don't remember what the suggested fix was, but I think it worked. I don't want to take it apart, or mar the G-10 trying to force it, and I don't want to send it back in the open position. :(
    Any assistance would be appreciated.

2. jux t

jux t Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2018
    I think I read someone used the edge of a table to depress the lock. Maybe it has to be cycled a bunch or sanded somewhere.

DocJD and mwhich50 like this.
  3. Brhowser87

Brhowser87 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 3, 2016
    Disassembly might be your only option. If you can force it to unlock lube it good and cycle it if not take it apart and you should be able to see what's hanging up and lightly sand it.

mwhich50 likes this.
  4. willc

willc Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 13, 2013
    Try the edge of table or something stable to get it depressed.
    Once opened use a liberal amount of oil in the tang area and try to cycle it a lot.

This happened to me with my Counterpoint XL but in the end I took it apart and polished the mating parts.
    It is actually way easier to take apart than most backlock knives.

Good luck with it.

DocJD and mwhich50 like this.
  5. bikerector

bikerector Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Have you tried putting the blade in a vice and hanging 800 lbs from the handle yet?

I just got a golden eye and broken skull from the same sale, and my broken skull's lock is pretty sticky as well. I'm planning to drop some 3-in-1 in there. I think there was some extra paint on a few parts of metal and so I'm thinking it needs flushed out. There were some visible flecks of paint hanging off near the pivot that I picked off.

mwhich50 and mdrgn79 like this.
  6. jlauffer

jlauffer Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Once you get it unlocked, leave it half open overnight. Have not had this issue myself, but have read where others have done this and it worked.

jbmonkey and mwhich50 like this.
  7. kreole

kreole

Jul 23, 2009
    I had a brand new backlock from a different brand get stuck like that. There was a little wire edge of metal off the liners or lock bar (can't remember) that had been left during production, and after a handful of openings, it broke off and lodged in there. Disassembly and cleaning solved it.

mwhich50 likes this.
  8. mwhich50

Jan 18, 2011
    I grabbed my rubber mallet, and gently tapped the back lock. It disengaged on the 6th tap. The G-10 was unaffected. I had already oiled it before it got stuck, so I tried opening, and closing it again. It got stuck again, and disengaged with three taps. I opened, and closed it x10, and it has not jammed again. Cold steel is the only brand that can have a major malfunction, and still be a perfectly functional knife. Pretty weird. Thanks for the assistance everyone!

Dadpool likes this.
  9. mwhich50

Jan 18, 2011
    I really like the Golden Eye. Pros: blade shape, handle color/ergos, and boy is it thin/light! The only thing I don't like so far is the sharp thumb hole. My thumb tip is a little sore. I don't mind the gold hardware. If you guys haven't grabbed one yet, you may want to before they are gone. It is a terrific deal for the $.

The Swift is pretty good too. It has the lock on the handle which works really well. The handle texture is moderately grippy, and not cheap looking. The ergos are really good. It deploys really hard. I can understand why it might break. We'll see what happens.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    bikerector likes this.
  10. AF

AF Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2000
    When I get a sticky Tri-Ad that does not improve after several openings, I disassemble and gently sand the tang where it interfaces with the lockbar. That has worked for me. I have also just cycled the lock but it can take hundreds of openings to improve.

DocJD likes this.
  11. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    :) I've had more than my share with "lock stick " .

Use table edge or some non marring tool to depress lock . Lubricate , then open & close briskly ~10,000X ! :eek::poop:

Even the worst ones EVENTUALLY smooth out perfect . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Or , I've read , you can take apart and polish up the lock faces manually . That's what you are doing more slowly by just opening and closing . ;)

The "leaving the blade half open " is to help with hard opening detent (not lock stick ) .

katanas, gotgoat, jlauffer and 2 others like this.
  12. jlauffer

jlauffer Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Sorry, my bad :oops:

DocJD likes this.
  13. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    No harm , no foul ! ;)

I always do this because the CS detent is usually overly strong for my use . Not too sure if it helps , but it can't hurt either ! :cool::thumbsup:

jlauffer likes this.