"Tribute knife" by Ed Fowler

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by 2knife, Jun 13, 2012.

1. 2knife

2knife

Mar 13, 2002
    Here is something special. If you dont love this one from Ed, there is no hope for you! :) This is called his "Tribute knife". Made to honor several makers from history that have been a source of inspiration to him. Ed brought it to Blade and there were many of us fawning over it after the first look. It is truly a beautiful achievement.
    Hope you will enjoy.
    Thanks, David

[​IMG]

2. GRIM 62

GRIM 62

Mar 29, 2009
    Wow,I have always been an admirer of Eds work.That is an outstanding example of it right there!:thumbup::thumbup:

3. someoldfart

someoldfart

Sep 1, 2009
    Outstanding!!!

4. AV8R

AV8R

Aug 28, 1999
    David:

That is a truly great looking knife.

Pete

5. v-man

v-man

Jan 20, 2001
    Great knife.
    As good as the picture is (and it is a GREAT picture), it still doesn't do this knife justice.

V

6. PhilL

PhilL

Oct 1, 1999
    I think Ed would agree that he's a better knife maker than photographer.
    David that's a great knife and I can't think of anyone who deserves it more than you.
    Congratz!

7. v-man

v-man

Jan 20, 2001
    I can ME!!!!! :D

8. JParanee

JParanee Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Very cool knife I like Ed work very much

If I may ask which makers ?

9. Kevin Jones

Kevin Jones

Oct 28, 2006
    Possibly one of my all-time favorites from Ed.

10. Lorien

Lorien KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 5, 2005
    that looks like the same knife he made during his Blade article on grinding.
    I'm very happy for both of you, that is a sick knife indeed!

11. Jon Brand

Jon Brand Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2007
    Nice knife!

12. Phil Dwyer

Phil Dwyer

Feb 28, 2006
    Hey David and Friends,

I hope you'll forgive my ignorance (and I in noway mean this disparagingly) but how does that knife achieve that? Another way to ask might be, what's different?

Is it the stubby clip/swedge? The subtle up-swept spine? The slight semi-recurved edge? Seems like he does that a lot, maybe not with the front bellying out and dropping down so much though? Is it actually dropping below the ricasso a bit? Or is it just that the edge near the ricasso is lifted up making it look that way?

It's intriguing the way the widest part of the blade is across where the spine and clip meet and the edge bellies out.

It looks like if a line was drawn from the top of the ricasso at the guard to the blade tip, it would show a pretty typical Ed profile. Which brings me back to, is there more than just the clip/swedge that's different?

As are all Ed's knives, that's a cool looking piece!

[​IMG]

13. AWGunS

AWGunS

Sep 16, 2006
  14. 2knife

2knife

Mar 13, 2002
    Thank you for the comments. Lorien, you are correct- and i need to renew my subscription! Phil, Ed will have to say the thoughts that went into this- i can only say what are my own impressions. I do like the added blade width and the flow of the knife. The spine has a nice sweeping line to it, followed through to ricasso and handle. The clip is a more pronounced "Bowie" style, compared to this one made last year- with some similar ideas:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  15. Ed Fowler

Ed Fowler

Jul 21, 2001
    Phil: the clip is inspired by a my favorite bowie an early Huber, rather than having sharp lines it is blended to the convex lines of the blade, the tip is very stout, the swedge is not sharpened.

The concave spine and entire top line of the knife was inspired by Michael Price Senior. As was the complex convex blade geometry that does not show up well in the photo but readily appreciated by the touch. The blade is a reverse taper from ricasso to tip providing strength to the tip as well as flow of cut from the ricasso to the mid third of the blade. This was also inspired by Michael Price Sr.

Rudy Ruana also made an early knife with some of these thoughts. During cutting and chopping tests these variables come to prominence. Naturally I put them together my way.

The sheep horn is absolutely deluxe to my eye and hand, It is not an easy knife for me to make and a real challenge all the way.

Thus the knife is my tribute to their thoughts that have come to me over the years through knives they made. What to they have in common? To my eye - an appreciation of nature.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  16. Phil Dwyer

Phil Dwyer

Feb 28, 2006
    Thanks guys for the explanations!

17. HJK

HJK Moderator Moderator

Jun 30, 1999
    Big fan. Incomparable knife.