Tricked Out Sere 2000

I got a Sere 2000 recently and instantly fell in love with the lines on this knife. To my eye, this is the stuff knives should be made of.

Unfortunately, I was also instantly dissatisfied with the finish of the piece. All the edges were way too sharp (except the blade of course, which was just right
smile.gif
) and the thumbstud was a bit slippery and hard to engage. So I got out the Dremel and went to work.

First I used a soft abrasive wheel with a medium grit to take down all the sharp edges. It did a pretty good job and I didn't make too many slips. After about half an hour of fiddling around the knife is super comfortable.

Next I hogged out the thumbgroove area of the handle so as to improve access to the thumbstud and liner lock. I used a drum sander on the Dremel and finished it off by hand with 180 and 220 sand paper. Much better clearance.

Lastly, I felt that my thumb was still slipping off the thumbstud a bit too often, especially when my hands are dry which they always are this time of year. I wanted a rock solid never miss opening on this great knife. So I decided to put a small piece of heat shrink tubing on the thumbstuds. It works well because the tube really conforms to the knobby design and the result is extremely comfortable and positive opening. Huge improvement all around.

Now if I could just figure out a more satisfactory way to eliminate that damned shiny clip in favor of a black one. I don't want to paint it and there must be a better way than the electrical tape that I currently have on it.... maybe more heat shrink tube. Maybe I should just make a new one out of titanium.

------------------
Peter Atwood

email:fountainman@hotmail.com

Fountainman, The heat shrink tube sounds like a great idea to improve the stud. Where to you get heat shrink tube?

[This message has been edited by Willie Boy (edited 12-11-2000).]

Willie Boy, you can get heat shrink tubing at any electronics store. Radio Shack even carries it. Colors other than black are also available in you are so inclined.

Fountainman, It is pricey, but you can always have the clip powder coated. Check to see when the local powdercoater is going to spray the color you want.That way you don't pay any set up or change over fee.
Post some pictures when you are done. I would like to see the finished knife.

[This message has been edited by Easyrider (edited 12-12-2000).]

Hmmm, powder coating sounds like the way to go. I'll look into it. Can't be that expensive for such a small piece.

I'll have to do some tests to figure out how to post pics.

------------------
Peter Atwood

fountainman,
You and I and a bunch of others, have found this knife to be the stuff knives are made of! my first impression was one of amazement. How could so much knife cost no more than it did. I have used the Dremel on a couple of Emerson CQC-7's to widened tha thumb groove to my preference. Just today I was looking at the thumb groove on the Al Mar and thinking....... So now I see someone else has the same idea! I didn't have any problems with the edges being too sharp though. Handle feels good in my hand. The shrink tubeing is pure genious. Never thought of that but its a great idea, as those thumb studs are a bit slippery. Thinking about ordereing some thumb studs and bronze washers from Sheffield Knifemakers Supply. Going to use replace the nylatron or teflon washers with bronze or copper. Just personal preference as I liked the look on the LCC with this type washer. Number for Sheffield is 1.800.874.7007 if anyone is interested. They have a lot of stuff for the budding tinkerer.

------------------
Art Sigmon
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Php. 4:13

"For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword"
Heb. 4:12

Hey guys,

Have you thought about bead blasting the clip? I work at an industrial electronics repair center and we have a sweet bead blasting cabinet. I don't technically work in an area to use it regularly, but have snuck in a couple of times after hours to dull my Military and Centofante clips. It works very well (picture a Microtech LCC clip finish). I'd be happy to bead blast a couple of clips if you're interested. Just pay return shipping and I'll try to take care of them ASAP. I am not doing this on a regular basis or for money, but as a favor to fellow BF members, so I'll only do a couple every now and then (IOW, don't open the flood gates
wink.gif
). If I lose a screw in the cabinet, you can't sue me, either.
smile.gif

Take care,
Chris
atcf00@netzero.net

I just got a new SERE 2000 in the mail today. Like everyone has been saying, this knife is a tank. I fell in love with it as soon as I picked it up. The blade is as sharp as any of my Microtechs. The liner is unbelievably thick. It locks up a little further to the right than I would like to see, but it isn't to the center of the blade so I'm not worried about it. I still love my Microtechs the best, but this knife is right up ther with them. I got it from Patrick at Triple Aught and he provides fantastic service.

I took a scotch-brite pad to my clip, giving it a nice subdued satin finish.

------------------
Dennis Bible

mylogosmall.gif

Art,

Would the bronze washers give a smoother opening than the nylatron washers that are in there now? Or are you strictly going for looks? I know what you mean as the bronze washers look great on the Microtech and Sebenza. Now, the LCC has a very sweet action when opening, but so does the CRKT Kasper which IMO is one of the easiest and sweetest opening knives I've ever handled.

Chris, the bead blasting sounds great and you are very generous to make that offer. I'd sure take you up on it!
smile.gif

------------------
Peter Atwood

[This message has been edited by fountainman (edited 12-12-2000).]

Peter,
Not sure if they give any smoother opening or not. I like the looks, but I also tighten my blades tighter than most folks, and this tends to deform the type washers present now. They are not currently deformed in any way but the extra tightness may cause some undue wear. It is for this reason that I may change over to the bronze or copper washers.

Meant to mention this earlier but forgot. I had read earlier where Dennis had said he used a scotch brite pad. I took some 600 grit wet/dry paper and took the "shiney" off of my clip. Still silver, but much subdued. Heard some people use an enamel paint to cover the clip. I don't know how well that would stand up. An epoxy based paint might do well.

------------------
Art Sigmon
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Php. 4:13

"For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword"
Heb. 4:12

Art,

I guess I'll stick with the plastic for now. Say, that Wortac you've got for sale is a beauty! Very nice lines on that knife and it looks quite comfortable. I'd be tempted but I've got way too many knives already this year. Got to chill out a little. Besides, autos are definitely illegal in MA and I like to be able to carry and use all my knives.

------------------
Peter Atwood

Got a sandblaster unit from Sears the other day. A small unit is available for about $50 and the 000 grade sand is carried by building supply houses for about $6 for a 100 lb bag. It hooks up to an air compressor and even my ancient and wimpy little Speedaire had enough power to run it.

The finish on the clip comes out looking just like the MT LCC or the Sebenza. No glare! Very easy to do and now I can use the unit for all sorts of other things like cleaning up rusty old tools. Not sure why bead blasting would be different- I couldn't really see much difference between the sand finish and the other knives which supposedly have a bead blasted finish.

------------------
Peter Atwood

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fountainman:
Got a sandblaster unit from Sears the other day. A small unit is available for about $50 and the 000 grade sand is carried by building supply houses for about $6 for a 100 lb bag. It hooks up to an air compressor and even my ancient and wimpy little Speedaire had enough power to run it.

The finish on the clip comes out looking just like the MT LCC or the Sebenza. No glare! Very easy to do and now I can use the unit for all sorts of other things like cleaning up rusty old tools. Not sure why bead blasting would be different- I couldn't really see much difference between the sand finish and the other knives which supposedly have a bead blasted finish.

</font>

I'll have to check into getting one. A sandblaster unit sure could come in handy!

------------------
Dennis Bible

mylogosmall.gif

Back