TRM "NEWtron"; anyone on board?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Hackenslash, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Hackenslash

Hackenslash Don't feed the Trolls Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    I've owned my Three Rivers Manufacturing Neutron for a little over a year now and it's one of my favorite EDC knives. TRM is celebrating the 2nd Anniversary of the Neutron with the release of the Neutron 2, aka the "NEWtron". In my opinion it fixes my two biggest gripes with the knife.

The liners are now nested in the scale material which will allow more options for materials and 3d milling. I've always wished that my Neutron had a little more girth and sculpted scales will fix that.

Also, the handle is drilled for a deep carry clip, like that available for the Atom. I've always hated how much of the knife sticks out of pocket with the standard stamped clip and placement.

Is anyone else looking at these? I'm tempted to buy a Neutron 2 just for the options now available. I believe the TRM Neutron/Atom are one of the best sub-$200 knife options out there and they keep getting better!
    [​IMG]

MolokaiRider and Dadpool like this.
  2. Random Dan

Random Dan Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 21, 2012
    Looks nice. Doesn't seem like enough change to warrant replacing an old neutron, but a positive change nonetheless.

Hackenslash likes this.
  3. Therom

Therom

Nov 13, 2013
    I am on board for this one

Hackenslash likes this.
  4. Hackenslash

Jul 25, 2014
    I agree, I don't think I'd sell a Neutron 1 to buy a Neutron 2...but the thought of using the old Neutron to open up the box that carries the new Newtron makes my knife-nerves get all jittery.:D

5. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse

Apr 9, 2019
    Can you post a pic of it opened? I'm curious about the blade shape.

6. Hackenslash

Jul 25, 2014
    Here’s a picture of my Neutron. It’s a fairly simple drop point.
    B1F57615-52D8-4C8B-909C-91B034F9D156.jpeg

7. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse

Apr 9, 2019
    Thanks! Is the forward choil usable for fingers or is it more of a large sharpening choil? It seems like part of it is obstructed by the handle to be used as a finger choil.

8. Hackenslash

Jul 25, 2014
    It's an enlarged sharpening choil. If you had really slender fingers, you might be able to choke up onto it, but I would never try. I do wish the knife had a trace of a thumb ramp and some fine jimping along the blade spine, but for the size and intended purpose, it's not really necessary.