TRM "NEWtron"; anyone on board?

Hackenslash

Don't feed the Trolls
Gold Member
I've owned my Three Rivers Manufacturing Neutron for a little over a year now and it's one of my favorite EDC knives. TRM is celebrating the 2nd Anniversary of the Neutron with the release of the Neutron 2, aka the "NEWtron". In my opinion it fixes my two biggest gripes with the knife.

The liners are now nested in the scale material which will allow more options for materials and 3d milling. I've always wished that my Neutron had a little more girth and sculpted scales will fix that.

Also, the handle is drilled for a deep carry clip, like that available for the Atom. I've always hated how much of the knife sticks out of pocket with the standard stamped clip and placement.

Is anyone else looking at these? I'm tempted to buy a Neutron 2 just for the options now available. I believe the TRM Neutron/Atom are one of the best sub-$200 knife options out there and they keep getting better!
1696851094.jpg

Looks nice. Doesn't seem like enough change to warrant replacing an old neutron, but a positive change nonetheless.

Looks nice. Doesn't seem like enough change to warrant replacing an old neutron, but a positive change nonetheless.
I agree, I don't think I'd sell a Neutron 1 to buy a Neutron 2...but the thought of using the old Neutron to open up the box that carries the new Newtron makes my knife-nerves get all jittery.:D

Here’s a picture of my Neutron. It’s a fairly simple drop point.
B1F57615-52D8-4C8B-909C-91B034F9D156.jpeg

It's an enlarged sharpening choil. If you had really slender fingers, you might be able to choke up onto it, but I would never try. I do wish the knife had a trace of a thumb ramp and some fine jimping along the blade spine, but for the size and intended purpose, it's not really necessary.

Hackenslash both TRM Neutrons are obviously outstanding, but unless you just have the cash and really want the update I’d stick with original. I have the 2 and it’s been in my pocket everyday since they were released.

The differences you mentioned are good upgrades; I think the 2 is slightly thicker w/ G10 (amber ale) scales (which is a little more comfortable) and sure the nested liners are very nice but not significant enough to buy the 2.

Just for kicks I modified a set of original scales to fit the 2. Had to mill out pockets and drill new holes for deep carry but final fit was good. OK to carry but not as comfortable. You’d need to check specs but it “seems” the 2 are slightly thicker if that matters enough.

Did I make this more confusing for you? Sorry if so. Either way you have a phenomenal knife for life. 👍

The atom is more in my size range but I have often considered getting a large and a small and this change certainly makes that decision more attractive. I cant seem to time up the drops for the TRMs though. Been lurking on and off on their site and trying out the email notifications for a year or so now and have missed every Atom drop.

Back