TRM Questions and Comments

Good Morning Everyone
TRM has taken off during the last year and some days my social media time is limited. Please feel free to contact me directly mh@threeriversmfg.com or Customer Service Jennifer@threeriversmfg.com if your question goes unanswered.

I am not an expert on the rules of Blade Forums. If this post is not appropriate, please let me know.

I have also tried to establish a TRM Forum but haven't been able to set that up.
Any help would be appreciated.

Marianne Halpern
Co-Owner TRM

You all are handling yourselves very well, IMO. I was lightly critical in review of the Neutron for slightly sharp scale corners and for being a little thicker behind the edge than I had hoped. Seems the Atom has improved in both of those areas, which would leave me with 0 gripes. That kind of continued evolution is awesome to see. Looking forward to seeing what you all do going forward.

Be well.

I have tried to contact Spark to pay for a
manufacturer forum or to upgrade my membership. We'd certainly be glad to pay. So far no response.

I am really glad to see your knives, which are appropriately thin at the stock and the edge as cutting tools, in the current market filled with overly thick blades.
I will definitely purchase Atom when I can.
Good work!

manufacturer forum or to upgrade my membership. We'd certainly be glad to pay. So far no response.
Edit: see Benchwarmer380 below.

Last edited:

If TRM is a knife manufacturer, which they appear to be, that link doesn't apply.
Manufacturers can have their own forum here for free, they just need to have their moderator present.

Marianne, start a thread in tech support (click here) requesting a forum for TRM forum. Be sure to tag Spark, the site owner and admin, and he'll get you taken care of.

If TRM is a knife manufacturer, which they appear to be, that link doesn't apply.
Manufacturers can have their own forum here for free, they just need to have their moderator present.

Marianne, start a thread in tech support (click here) requesting a forum for TRM forum. Be sure to tag Spark, the site owner and admin, and he'll get you taken care of.
You're ruining my commission. Kidding, and thanks for the info...edited my post.

As a knife noob who is very interested in the TRM Atom, I have a question about a construction/design choice for both the Atom and the Neutron: the titanium liner lock.

My understanding is that liners in liner lock knives are typically made of stainless steel. Presumably, titanium was chosen for these knives to reduce weight. To explain my concern, let me first discuss frame locks. Many titanium frame lock knives boast steel lockbar inserts for durability and to avoid lock stick. Others titanium frame lock knives do not have inserts, but supposedly that can be OK if the interface is carbidized. (I assume that was done on the TRM knives.)

Typically, the face of frame lock, where it interfaces with the blade tang, that lacks a steel lockbar insert is quite a bit thicker than that of a liner lock. I know this can vary, but I think the general comparison holds. The titanium liners on the Atom and Neutron both seem fairly thin. No reviews I've seen so far of either knife mention lock stick, so my only concern is the long term durability of the lock. Am I worrying for nothing?

One possible point in favor of not worrying about it is the unusually thin blade stock on these knives. Do thicker, longer, and/or more massive blades require stronger lockbars? That's actually not obvious to me, because while the lock must obviously bear the leveraged weight of the blade, it also must be beefy enough to resist shocks, which seem proportional only to the blade length. As one data point, my Massdrop Gent, which is variously considered to have a liner lock or a frame lock by different people, has a carbidized titanium lock face that seems thicker than the Atom's based on video footage despite having a shorter blade.

Any thoughts from you forum experts out there?

I own an atom. The titanium is spilt and slides alone the side of the blade. The blade stops against a steel pin on opening and closing. Its really quite strong as both liners act like a spring . I have had mine about a year .
But haven't carried it .

Jake

I have both an atom and a neutron. They have probably been my most carried knives since I got them a couple of months ago. In my opinion you are over thinking it.

Can someone provide the thickness behind the edge of Atom?
I like thin stock thin edge knives.

Neutron Well my number came up . 3 months after the order . First off well worth the wait . And they keep you up to date on their progress. Looks like it mailed out the same day they received the PayPal payment. USPS. Did their part too and three days it was in the mail box ! And the box was in mint condition.
Its a remarkable design really . A lot of well thought out design features . The thinness. Much thinner than my small sebenza. And that what i like in an edc knife . This is accomplished by thin titanium liners. And super thin handles.
Well thought out design, that allows one to change at will . But , the screws are tiny . So i recommend getting their handle and bit kit . Titanium screws into titanium liners , you must use care .
While i am on the liners , the lockup is about 50%. Angled perfect to the blade ,just like a sebenza.
This system will last for decades. No worries there .
The blade . A spyderco leaf design. Super thin , super sharp and dual thumb studs. They are also well thought out !
Its centered with zero ,i mean zero blade play. It opens with ease. Care was taken when it was assembled, not a rush job . Oh almost forgot 20cv , its become my favorite. I dont know the Rockwell hardness and really dont care .
I dont think its going to dull easily. Its a smooth even edge. Almost a flat ground.
Fit and finish. I really cant find a flaw. But in a little i will get my loupe out . I think it will be a waste of effort.
Its as close a perfect edc as it gets . A edc propose is to cut , but being eye candy never hurts. This isnt a light duty knife in any way.

Jake

Back