Truck Buying...Toyota Tacoma vs Tundra...

Anyone plow snow with a Tundra?

The plow I run is 770 pounds with about another 105 pounds for the vehicle mount on a Non-ota.:D

I guess my question should be, is a Tundra Transmission and front end strong enough to handle this task?

In this area I mostly see the big 3 trucks with plows.

Just my opinion here, but I wouldn't have ever put a plow on mine without beefing up the suspension first, I had to beef up the rear suspension with airbags just to keep it from bottoming out with a max capacity load (mine was used primarily as a work truck). That was a 2007 model year... perhaps the suspensions are better on the new ones?? I think the big V8 engine, and the transmission (especially the models with transmission coolers) would be up to the task, the suspension would be my only concern.

I found more on this subject after a little Google-Fu. :D

Best set up '11 Tundra Fisher http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=130538

tundra021.jpg

I have had several pre tacoma Toyota PU's all had 200,000 + on them with nothing other than normal maintenace type repairs. I then started towing trailers that needed more power. So I got a 2002 Tundra with a V8. It ran great and would get 20+ mpg if I payed attention to what I was doing. It would tow what it was rated for and probably a little more than that. Sold it wil 193,000 on it and again nothing other than normal PM's.

About 3 years ago we decided to get a 5th wheel camper and the one we liked was over the limits on my 02 tundra. Shopped around a while and found a 08 long bed double cab back in 2011 with the 5.7l engine. It tows our 5th wheel just fine. We towed it to Charleston SC last spring and it did great going thru the monutians (climbed north on Saluda Mtn at no less than 55 and wasn't pushing it). Around town I usually get 16-18, on one road trip where I really watched my driving I was able to hit 20 for a 400 mile trip. Towing the camper I only got about 9mpg. I would like better gas mileage, but that wasn't what I got the truck for. It has a 8' box which is great for hauling stuff. The double cab seats 5 adults pretty comfortably. The biggest complaint I have is I don't have the leather seat package that now only comes in the Limited package. The 02 had that and they were very comfortable and easy to keep clean. The cloth ones are a bitch to keep clean.

IMO I would go with the tundra unless you just really want a smaller truck. Fuel mileage isn't that much different and the space difference is considerable. I also second the motion of the Tundra being the one truck on the market today that has the highest amount of american made components. Assembled in San Antonio Tx.

In my opinion, i would go american! Just my opinion, my father used to have an old t100 i think it was, and that was a workhorse, pulling down trees and general tough work.. It never let him down, except when the frame rotted away he got a F150 which i think is pretty tough...Thanks
The Tundra is made in San Antonio! Buy made in Texas!

The Tundra is huge ! My friend just bought a Tacoma .A work truck for him .Searched for a good dealer got a nice price.That should keep him happy for years ! The frame corrosion was due to and outside frame maker who forgot to rust proof some frames . Today Toyota is extra carefull to check to see that they are made properly. My friends is 4 door, 6 cyl, 4x4, all needed here.

Depends on the amount of weight and size of cargo you might need to carry. Toyota makes the best compact truck on the market. As far as class 1 trucks go the Tundra is competitive but you can use the fact the the big three (or big two now plus another) give great trucks to help lower the price.

I bought an '09 four wheel drive with the Off Road and factory tow package brand new, rolled 96k on it this afternoon. Not one issue with it, still drives and runs like new. I live in Florida and drive it on the beach at least once a week, sometimes more, with absolutely no frame corrosion issues. I think that was a 1st generation issue. I tow a 22 ft pontoon like nothing, and have towed heavier boats. The bed is small, I often use a utility trailer for loads a full size could haul in the bed. Two of my buddies have new Tundras, great trucks, but huge. I can get down trails they can't negotiate. No matter what the ratings, the gas mileage difference in town between the Tundra and Tacoma is quite noticeable. I've owned Chevys and Fords, when this truck finally dies I'll replace it with another Tacoma. I average 19-21 mpg. I wish that was better, other than that, it's about perfect for what I use it for. I put a small lift, tires, TRD bolt ons, etc. on it and it goes anywhere reasonable. Don't think you can go wrong with either, depends on your needs. If you go with a two wheel drive, look at the PreRunner Off Road. It has a push button diff locker. I've seen em go where you would think you'd need 4WD. And both the TRD packages have much better seats than the regular SR5. Or least they did when I was shopping them.

IMG_0388.jpg

Last edited:
The Toyota Tacoma is "plenty" of truck for what I would do with one. The V6 Pre Runner 2WD Access (extended) cab was my first thought. Then I thought for just a little more money I could go with the 4 door Double Cab to gain some additional rear passenger room and they do offer that with the longer bed as well. The resale value would be better and there aren't as many of those around as other cab/bed configurations.

Have owned / driven Toyota 4WD pickups since 1987. Three have been Tacomas and one Tundra, a 2001 extra cab TRD. Back then Tundras were more of a 3/4 size pickup, today they are beastly. While my Tundra was very nice and had super comfortable captain's seats, I prefer current Tacomas over current Tundras. Currently drive a 2011 4-door 4WD Tacoma and wouldn't have anything else ... it is "plenty" of truck for me, much easier to drive around town / park than a Tundra and the difference in gas mileage adds up. After owning both styles, IMO access cab doors are not nearly as handy as four doors, especially for occasional rear seat passengers or even loading gear. The extra space is well worth the small premium. Everyone's needs are different, but if mine got stolen today I would buy another one in exactly the same configuration tomorrow. Have you priced insurance for both? Here's a snap of my current taco.

2011tacoma.jpg

Good luck with your decision.

I've got a 4-door 06 Tacoma SR5 Prerunner and I haven't had anything wrong with it yet. If you're going to be doing a lot of hauling, plowing etc then if go for the Tundra but if not I would get a Taco. I'm 6' 5" and the back seats of my truck aren't the most comfortable for me but I'm sure a normal sized person should fit fine In the back.

A637CC13-BCDC-4F32-8772-B7631158B92F-23054-00000DE0418DBB31_zpsdca16f4f.jpg

12BB7E78-1684-4C6C-B0E5-B6850704FC0B-23054-00000DDFFA994939_zps03ae6483.jpg

Last edited:
The newer Tundras are really big(to me). Some people need a larger truck, but otherwise I think the newer Tacomas are actually closer to the size of my '01 Tundra.
Just bought a new Corolla to use as a daily driver, while keeping my Tundra for when I need a truck. It got its "60,000 mile maintenance" at over 200,000 miles, when I decided to get the timing belt changed. The only other maintenance has been oil changes, and new spark plugs at 150k. It gets better gas mileage now than when I bought it, and should hit 249,000 the next time it's driven. That truck is the single best thing I have ever bought in my life.

First of all...Thanks for all the responses. It's taken me a while to get back here due to extra work schedule. After much thought and after reading responses here and other reviews/forums across the web, I think I have narrowed it down to the Tacoma.

I do not need the towing/pulling ability of the Tundra. Yes, parking would definitely be easier in a Tacoma. As far as my need for passenger room, other than the two front chairs...the rear seats would only be occupied by young teenagers...and that would be rare. However, I do like the idea of inside storage for security reasons and to keep luggage out of the weather. I have no desire for a cover for the bed...to me that kind of defeats the purpose of a truck. Like some have mentioned, I too would use a small utility trailer if I need to move something larger than the bed capacity. That would be rare. I've lived without a truck since '97 so I think a Tacoma will do the job.

I don't really have the need for 4WD. I have a perfectly good '96 Camry to handle any winter weather driving I may have to deal with here in upstate SC. I will definitely go with at least a Pre-Runner...not sure about any of the TRD packages. I would love to get into a manual transmission...that's all I drove from 86 until 97. However, I feel I may regret that since I've gotten older and my knees do bother me sometimes. Traffic is much worse now everywhere than it was in the mid 80s. I would have to go with a 4WD model if I were to get into a manual transmission as well...for whatever reason, the Pre-Runner models are only offer with auto transmissions.

One final question...do any of you have a newer Tacoma with the V6/6 speed manual? If so, is the first gear a deep low? Or, are they providing two overdrive gears? I would think on a truck that they offer a deep low/first gear but with 4WD, going into low range would easily provide that as well.

Thanks gain!

John

One final question...do any of you have a newer Tacoma with the V6/6 speed manual? If so, is the first gear a deep low? Or, are they providing two overdrive gears? I would think on a truck that they offer a deep low/first gear but with 4WD, going into low range would easily provide that as well.

Thanks gain!

John

I've got the V6/6 speed, I would say 1-5 are pretty much the same as any other 5 speed toyota I've driven, and the 6th gear is more of a highway over drive. You can take off easily in 2nd down hill, and even from a level stop but you'd be riding the clutch. It's not geared as low as my old Landcruiser which I could start in first gear and it would easily keep going without using the clutch or stalling out.

I'm currently driving a '12 4wd 4.0 taco trd with the suicide doors and full size bed. I get much better gas mileage than the 4 door taco, and any tundra. It's rated @ 6500 towing, came with trailer brakes, back up camera, and all kinds of bells and whistles my '07 LJ didn't have. In '10, toyota put a bigger power plant in 'em & it's definitely an improvement over older models. My brother daily drives a '98 v6 sr5 4wd with almost 400k miles on it. He drives 110 miles each direction to work every day (he makes enough $ it's not an issue). If gas mileage wasn't an issue, I'd have gotten a tundra, but 5.7 liters ain't a gas sipper! You really can't go wrong with either choice IMHO. The major difference is a midsize truck vs. a fullsize truck. Let us know what you end up gettin' & post pics!

I have a '99 V6 TRD Extracab Tacoma 5 speed that I bought used in 2000 with 40,000 miles on it. It now has about 205,000, runs great, and gets the same mileage as new (about 19 mpg on the highway). I love this truck, and can't believe how well it has held up for the last 13 years. I had the timing belt changed at 140,000 miles, and the mechanic couldn't tell the difference between the old and new belt. I've never had to touch the clutch, and the only major change I made was to install Firestone airbags on it. Toyota trucks/SUVs seem to like to sag over time, and mine is a far better hauler now with the adjustable suspension.

I like the length of my bed, as I've slept in the back many a time. For a single guy the extra cab is fine, but I have a family now with 3 kids and one more on the way. We're going to have to upgrade to a larger truck to fit the whole family, and it will be a Tundra.

photo0661q.jpg

I am on my second Tacoma. Great truck with no problems. Current one is a 06, first was a 97. Father in law still drives the 97 without any problems.
My 06 is V6 and I average about 25 MPG (auto trans). I had a co-worker with a 2010 Tundra. He said it was averaging about 11 MPG at 6 months of ownership. It was a nice truck but a gas hog.
My 97 was a 4 cylinder with manual and got 32 MPG. Should have never sold it to my FIL.

Those are some amazing numbers for fuel economy -- far higher than Toyota listed them at. Care to share your secret? Drive 35 mph everywhere?

...If you go with a two wheel drive, look at the PreRunner Off Road. It has a push button diff locker. I've seen em go where you would think you'd need 4WD...[/IMG]

One note on the locker, if you live in snow country: definitely get the four wheel drive instead of the Pre-Runner. I've used my locker a couple of times in snow, and it was scary. A locker rear end makes both tires slide if you're off camber, which sends you sliding towards the abyss -- not fun.

That said, I like having the locker. I've used it a few times in sand/loose dirt, and it made a big difference. I don't use my truck for rock crawling, so don't really need a locker for that.

I've also been very impressed with how low the gearing is on my truck. I wanted an auto when I bought the truck, but couldn't find one with the options I wanted. I get tired of shifting all the time, but I do like how slow the truck will go in low range 1st. On the steepest downhills I've tried, I don't even use the brake in 1st -- the truck just won't speed up.

Personally I suggest anything with a 5.9L Cummins in it. 24 or 12 valve it doesn't matter. With an economy mod chip you can get around 20-22 mpg deepening on the load your hauling. If I have to get anything with a bed on it it has to have a diesel under the hood. I know diesels are not for everyone, but a V6 or V8 just sometimes doesn't cut it.

I started in 1984 with a Chevy, after 70K it needed major work to the drivetrain, and I never abused it. Switched to Toyota 4x4 truck in 1988, put 290K on it with zero problems. Totalled in an accident, got a 2008 Tacoma, suicide doors, 4x4, 2.7 liter 4 cylinder. Been a great truck so far, but only have 90K on it. I'll let you know in a few years.

A little sarcasm there. I'll probably never buy anything but Toyota for my trucks. Great ground clearance (I like to off road), strong drive train, and built for easy maintenance ( I do all my own). Love them.

I've pretty much made up my mind on Tacoma but have gotten so busy at work and trying to sell a house in my father's estate that I haven't had time to pursue it much lately. If I see the right one on the lot I might make a move but otherwise I'll probably order what I want when time allows.

Thanks for all the feedback from everyone... I'll update with pics when I make a purchase.

John

Back