True American - Mann Edge Tool Co

Another piece of the puzzle is that the Pulaski tool was not widely adopted by the Forest Service until after prototypes and testing were done in the 1930s (at the earliest):

"It was at an equipment standardization conference at Spokane in 1936 that the pulaski tool was proposed for national distribution. The conference instructed the USDA Forest Service's Region 1 to develop and further test a prototype suitable for servicewide use."

from
The True Story of the Pulaski Fire Tool
by James B. Davis
Fire Management (quarterly periodical), USDA Forest Service
1986 Volume 47, Number 3, page 19-21
https://www.fs.fed.us/fire/fmt/fmt_pdfs/047_03.pdf

Here are the pics as promised. I checked the head and it actually says <TRUE AMERICAN> on the one side and MANN LEWISTOWN USA on the other.
DSC_0093.jpg
DSC_0099.jpg
DSC_0096.jpg
DSC_0095.jpg
DSC_0094.jpg
DSC_0098.jpg

I just received a Mann military Hatchett made in 1944. It is the one that was posted in the Individual sales section under axes and hatchets. The rust you can see in the photos, came off with a little use of steel wool, and did not affect the paint. After lunch I will put a little oil on the head, which is remarkable tight on the handle. I collect (loose term!) mostly military stuff and with this Mann, now have a Hatchett, a Plumb 1943 pick axe, a M1910 e-tool, a friend gave me, whose brother was issued it in the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps) a M1951 e-tool, a tri-fold e-tool and a Mattax (axe/pick issued as the tri-fold was a poor digger IMO) to go with it, and the Fiskars USMC tri-fold. Now I just need to get a M1943 e-tool and I will have what was pretty much issued to soldiers and Marines since WWI. John
PS I got that M1943 e-tool, so am now set.

Last edited:
I have one with a label just like Hacked in post #53 and my experience mirrors his. It's the hardest axe I own, so hard I took it to the treadle grinder rather than file. Just before I typed this I had it and another True American(Military I think) and a True Temper with eye ridges and a fresh Pferd file. The True Temper is the softest of the three and it's not that close.
It's a small sample size though. I am reluctant to believe that Mann would make a statement that the product couldn't back up. If I had hemlock locally I would find out.

I just noticed Mill Hall location so it was produced between 1903 and 1926
Good eye. I was trying to figure out who's name was on it.
So it's advertised as being made for Hemlock knots and manufactured by the old process. Made between 1903 and 1926. That advertising aged well. If true I picture a dimly let forge and an old guy watching the colors run. Would not surprise me...

I’ve got a couple old Mann axes worth mentioning.
Most recently this Mill Hall, KnotKlipper double bit with an awesome handle that has some serious experience and looks frozen in time.
I know Mill Hall burned down and only had that 1903-1926 production period but I would love to know more about it which one of the Mann’s was operating the facility when it was made etc.
xnzNfQQ.jpg

Mann Edge Tool Co
Mill Hall
QmsnerR.jpg

Knot Klipper
Warranteed
9HMMIHH.jpg

jXLSqUv.jpg

viMpnpz.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve got a couple old Mann axes worth mentioning.
Most recently this Mill Hall, KnotKlipper double bit with an awesome handle that has some serious experience and looks frozen in time.
I know Mill Hall burned down and only had that 1903-1926 production period but I would love to know more about it which one of the Mann’s was operating the facility when it was made etc.
xnzNfQQ.jpg

Mann Edge Tool Co
Mill Hall
QmsnerR.jpg

Knot Klipper
Warranteed
9HMMIHH.jpg

jXLSqUv.jpg

viMpnpz.jpg
http://www.yesteryearstools.com/Yesteryears Tools/Mann Edge Tool Co..html
After reconsidering building a plant in Western Pennsylvania another location was chosen. As the head of the M.E.T. Co., Joseph R. Mann decided to build in Mill Hall. The properties that had originally been Robert Mann & Co. (the Upper Plant) and Thomas Mann & Co. (Lower Plant) were acquired in 1903. The A. A. & T. Co. had decided to abandon the sites but before they did, they removed everything they wanted to be used elsewhere. The sale was then made and a new plant was constructed on the site of the old Upper Plant. The Lower Plant property was leased to others. Business continued to boom and Robert Mann's sons were made managers of the Mill Hall operation.
By September of 1909 Joseph and his brother, Alfred C., had reached a point where the board made a concerted effort to remove them from the company. The meeting was not conducted properly and the termination action was forestalled but the reprieve was only temporary.
In January 1910 the plant was subjected to yet another major fire. That led to a meeting of the reorganized board and in addition to deciding to rebuild they terminated Joseph and Alfred C. Apparently Robert Jr. who had previously been dismissed was reinstated in the company as general sales manager but that was only for a short time. He died on a company business trip in New Orleans in August of 1910. A relatively new board member named John Stephens Jr. of Birmingham, Alabama was appointed as the new head of the company.
Sometime during 1910 Joseph relocated to West Weymouth, Massachusetts where he resided until his death in 1929. By 1920 none of the other Manns were left in the company.

Back