true running belts

Got a question for ya'll. I have a 72" belt grinder that was custom made. The individual that made it has been making this same machine for at least 20 years. I have noticed that some belts run true and even and some don't. I bought a belt package from Koval Knife Supp. to get me started and to see what works best. Most of the package is 3M belts and it seems that the coarser grit belts are the one that want to wobble. All wheels have been trued. I've messed with speed and belt tention and gotten some of the wobble out, but not enough to really suit me. It's hard to get that nice straight cut when you're working on a hollow grind up close to the racosso(never did know how to spell that). Can anyone give me some hints?
Thank you and take care,
Robert

I don't think it's your machine. I had the same problem and thought it was the grinder. Try turning the grinder by hand and see if your belts are cut straight. Mine weren't I sent them back some were as much as a 1\4 inch out of line. These were the blue zicronia belts.
Take Care
TJ Smith

Howdy There..!
I to have a custom build grinder and have had the same problem. It is the belts, if they are that far out send them back for replacement. Belts sometime just come that way. Good Luck..!

"Possum"

------------------
Thomas Clegg

Get used to it...its one of things that you have to learn to live with....some run true, some dont.

Back