True Temper 1957 catalog

I have noticed that most of the undercutters seem to to show up here in the north west. Not sure if I have ever seen them from other areas?

Dropping a 'pecker pole' in the boreal forest of n. Ontario doesn't require finesse but those huge first growth trees in BC sure needed help to clear out the 'mouth' of a felling notch. Early chainsaws didn't like to function beyond 90 degrees off of fuel-gravity-feed 'cutting' vertical. The upper angled cut was easy enough and the lower was intentionally horizontal but clearing this out was a chore that undercutter axes could do much easier and faster.

Undercutters.

Undercutters%202.jpg

Unhung:
Flint Edge
Warren
Collins

Hung: 2 Warrens

Pretty sure there's another TT FE around here somewhere unless I sold it.

Really neat that you've managed to gather these up. Only the Collins looks to be ad-libbed. Any chance that that one is a 'Mann-made' jobbie? The others look to have been carefully thought-out renditions.

I think the Collins is pre-Mann. I can't imagine any reason why a maker would have made one in 1966 or later. It's smaller size is curious to me. If I had only one I'd want a larger one.

I used to find these on the 'bay listed as pulaskis. Some bargains were found. Not so much anymore.

Back