True Temper Flint Edge roofers hatchet.

Can anyone shed light as to what the TFH stands for? Also does that date it?
42968c59562b8f4a70c42a36f65568ca.jpg
bf4829935c7c2138f2bebbb86c37e010.jpg

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

The earliest I have seen these marks are on the Dynamic, Tomahawk and Tommy axe that I think came out in the forties.
For instance the Dynamic would be "No DH" or DHF for possibly Dynamic Hatchet Flint Edge.
Not saying yours is from the forties but it could be and No THF probably stands for True Temper Flint Edge Hatchet.

I think yours is what is called a half hatchet from what I can see and not a roofers hatchet.

I've seen these designation on lots of True Temper Hatchets. My broad hatchet is marked 'TB2'. Maybe 'B' for broad hatchet?

I've seen these designation on lots of True Temper Hatchets. My broad hatchet is marked 'TB2'. Maybe 'B' for broad hatchet?

That's cool. I hadn't seen them on broad hatchets. I have seen the F used without the Flint Edge stamp. I suspect they had the Flint Edge decal but not the stamp. Not sure I could prove it though.

Just a thought after I posted Pegs. Is that hatchet a two pounder?

Maybe the 2 is referring to a standard broad hatchet size 2. This catalog shows broad hatchet sizes numbered from 1 to 8, and the number 2 broad hatchet has a weight of 1-3/4 pounds and a cut of 4-1/2 inches. Number 3 weighs 2-1/8 pounds with a cut of 5 inches.

https://archive.org/stream/catalogueno110ge1917geob#page/24/mode/2up

[on the same page, check out the knob handle on the riggers axe]

Thanks Steve, So the 2 is a model number.
Page 9 was interesting with the Perfect hatchet being stamped OH probably for the octagon handle that replacements are listed above. Which may be the whole point to these stamps?

I wonder if those Dynamics stamped DFH rather than DH had a different handle? I know there was different handles and not sure how much was due to years of production or model? Both?
I just checked one of my Dynamic hatchets with the original flat sided handle. It has no letter stamps. I suspect these are earlier but as always reserve the right to be wrong.

The Car builders hatchets in that catalog are interesting. It appears that they are the same head with the exception of a milled hammer poll. Different numbers for different handles because the milled one intended for rougher work had a slightly wider thicker handle. They could have just made one handle big enough but it would make some unnecessary sacrifices with
the lighter duty one in weight, comfort and handle shock.
It's amazing what we had and what we get today.
I read it wrong. They are the same head with different finishes not sure why the different handles. Maybe he same?

Back