1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

True Temper Flint Edge roofers hatchet.

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by BamaDADx3, Jan 20, 2017.

1. BamaDADx3

BamaDADx3

Jul 1, 2016
    Can anyone shed light as to what the TFH stands for? Also does that date it?[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

2. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    The earliest I have seen these marks are on the Dynamic, Tomahawk and Tommy axe that I think came out in the forties.
    For instance the Dynamic would be "No DH" or DHF for possibly Dynamic Hatchet Flint Edge.
    Not saying yours is from the forties but it could be and No THF probably stands for True Temper Flint Edge Hatchet.

I think yours is what is called a half hatchet from what I can see and not a roofers hatchet.

3. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    That's definitely a half hatchet, which is just a general use utilitarian tool.

4. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    I've seen these designation on lots of True Temper Hatchets. My broad hatchet is marked 'TB2'. Maybe 'B' for broad hatchet?

5. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    That's cool. I hadn't seen them on broad hatchets. I have seen the F used without the Flint Edge stamp. I suspect they had the Flint Edge decal but not the stamp. Not sure I could prove it though.

6. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    Just a thought after I posted Pegs. Is that hatchet a two pounder?

7. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    Maybe the 2 is referring to a standard broad hatchet size 2. This catalog shows broad hatchet sizes numbered from 1 to 8, and the number 2 broad hatchet has a weight of 1-3/4 pounds and a cut of 4-1/2 inches. Number 3 weighs 2-1/8 pounds with a cut of 5 inches.

https://archive.org/stream/catalogueno110ge1917geob#page/24/mode/2up

[on the same page, check out the knob handle on the riggers axe]

8. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
  9. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    Thanks Steve, So the 2 is a model number.
    Page 9 was interesting with the Perfect hatchet being stamped OH probably for the octagon handle that replacements are listed above. Which may be the whole point to these stamps?

10. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    The OH model on page 9 also has an octagonal poll.

11. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    I wonder if those Dynamics stamped DFH rather than DH had a different handle? I know there was different handles and not sure how much was due to years of production or model? Both?
    I just checked one of my Dynamic hatchets with the original flat sided handle. It has no letter stamps. I suspect these are earlier but as always reserve the right to be wrong.

12. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    Good point.

13. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    The Car builders hatchets in that catalog are interesting. It appears that they are the same head with the exception of a milled hammer poll. Different numbers for different handles because the milled one intended for rougher work had a slightly wider thicker handle. They could have just made one handle big enough but it would make some unnecessary sacrifices with
    the lighter duty one in weight, comfort and handle shock.
    It's amazing what we had and what we get today.
    I read it wrong. They are the same head with different finishes not sure why the different handles. Maybe he same?

14. BamaDADx3

BamaDADx3

Jul 1, 2016
    You guys knowledge astounds me! Thanks so much for sharing!

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Gator39 likes this.