Trying out the combo edge Benchmade around the house - happy October photo!

cchu518

Basic Member
So as much as I like many of the major brands out there, primarily Spyderco, Boker, CRKT, my favorite hands down major knife maker is still Benchmade. So I just wanted to show off a new acquisition the Benchmade 527 mini-presidio in combo edge in the much maligned 440C AND combo edge to boot! Lol.

Well after using the knife often for a week I'm getting quite comfortable with the combo edge. This is the first CE that I have ever owned that wasn't a not so great hardware store special which makes all the difference. CE's definitely have their use and place. While I wouldn't make a CE blade my normal EDC, I can see where it excels and that is in multi-use arenas. For any type of fast rough cutting the CE works great. The styrofoam tombstones that my wife and myself made for our annual Halloween lawn decoration needed new stakes to go into the yard and the 527 dispatched some new stakes with ease. In particular the serrated section was especially good at stripping bark.

20131012_1414241.jpg

I can see where someone might want a lengthier plain edge portion of a CE knife though. While the PE on the 527 is usable it needs maybe another inch of blade to work really well. That said I really happy the mini-presidio. It makes me want to get another BM that has a blade that is thinner than my mini-grips like a Sequel. The 527 is going to be a workhorse around the house for a while though, so I don't envision that happening just yet. For some reason, my wife tolerates Axis lock knives, so much so that if I have the grip or not the 527 around in the yard, and she needs something to cut with she says, "give me MY knife..." meanwhile there is a perfectly usable and SHARP Opinel and Spydie sitting in the pile. I'm just happy that she at least likes one type of knife and isn't bashing away at a tree branch with a kitchen knife or worse opening boxes with the car keys. Anyway enjoy the great October weather that we've been having!

My last purchase was also my first real CE. I went with a Endura in ZDP. So far I like having the serrations there, I like having something different to play around with and they do have there place. It totally destroys vegetation, I always here serrations don't act like a saw blade but when I'm cutting throw thick weeds it works much quicker then a plain edge.

Back