TSProf vs. KME systems.

lock1888

Gold Member
Good morning all.

As the title suggests I am looking at the KME and TSProf sharpening systems.
I am pretty much sold on the KME deluxe kit. It has everything I would want as far as stones and honing material.
My question is: is anyone familiar with both?
I only want to have to purchase 1 system and hope that system lasts well… a life time (with the exception of replacing worn stones).
Anyway. What are your thoughts on these two systems?

Thank you for taking the time.

Last edited:
I was just looking at both systems and KME looks like a toy from a Kinder Egg compare to lets say TSProof Pioneer kit with 5 diamond stones.

If you can afford it, TSPROF is a much better and higher quality system, and of course much much more pricey. That being said I've been using the KME for a few years now with diamond plates and I'm really happy with it.

TSPROF is a higher quality system and there are far more compatible stones on the market. The larger stones also remove material faster. If it is within your budget, I'd definitely go TSPROF over KME. That said, the KME is a great system also and if TSPROF is too costly you will definitely be able to get great edges off the KME.

I have the TSProf K03.

Lucky it comes with two straight clamps. That can only be used on wider, flat blades.

Hollow ground? Takes another kind of clamp. $100

Thin small blades like a Case folder? Guess what? Another clamp is required. $100

Want to do a concave edge? Yeah buddy. $100

Here's the deal with the k03. As delivered, it has everything to be able to sharpen 70% of knives. However, to have a system that'll do it all. Using their basic diamond stones. You'll be looking at ~$1500.

Add another $500 for cbn stones.

Very happy with my TSProf Kadet pro. It is possible to sharpen smaller knives on it also. Just take one of the arms off and voila it works. The Convex attachment is only $20 too. Not sure Ill ever use it but I got it as well. Watch some of the knife youtubers. A lot of them list codes for 10% off TSProf.

If the angle cube mounted on the guild rod is an option. I recommend it. It makes angle adjustments easy.

If a titanium guild rod is available. It's something I want for mine. The factory guild rod is solid steel rod. It's actually kinda heavy.

Iv had the kme since 2018 and I love it. Some features I like is it is a hand held sharpener with options for making it stationary, it has rubber on the inside of the jaws for stability, one handed rotation with tensioner for bigger heavier blades, easy thumb screws so no tools needed to make adjustments, all stainless construction, comes in a nice case to store extra odds and ends. I have had 1 little bit if an issue with the race that the pivot ball sites in it would come loose an make the rod slide a little funny but would snap back in with a light squeeze (this only just started to happen the past few times sharpening) and so I called them up before writing this post an they have a new one shipping out tomorrow so excellent customer service and great warranty super easy no questions asked 😉.

About a year ago, I sold my KME and bought a TSPROF K03 Pro Hunter. While the KME is very capable of producing a fine edge, there were two main areas that concerned me. I never felt like the blade was held stable in the clamp. Most knives would have a little flex. The other concern was the angle adjustment. Relative to the K03, it was pretty crude and a source of frustration. One thing I liked about the KME was you could move the knife, even take it outside, without removing it from the clamp. With the two clamps that come with the K03, I've never mounted a knife that wasn't rock solid. That's with all kinds of blades (tall flat grinds, hollow grinds, etc.). I did buy some "L" brackets ($48). They allow you to use the two clamps provided flush against each other while keeping them centered on the center line of the sharper. The TSPROF angle adjustments are much more precise and very user friendly. I'm using Veneve Orion diamond stones and use diamond emulsions from Gunny Juice and Stroppy Stuff. Honestly, I can't tell much difference Plus using 6" stones is much faster than the 4" stones for the KME. I wish I had gotten the K03 first, but I never envisioned myself buying knives that cost 2.5 times as much as the KME. Good luck as the sharpener rabbit hole is pretty deep.

Good morning all.

I am pretty much sold on the KME deluxe kit. It has everything I would want as far as stones and honing material.
I only want to have to purchase 1 system and hope that system lasts well… a life time (with the exception of replacing worn stones).

I own the kme and it's great on anything except big knives.

A 5 inch blade or less is easy, but a 7 or 8 inch blade is a pain.

I plan to get a tsprof as soon as I can.

Another KME fan here. It does look outdated next to the newer fancy ones, but it does everything you need it too. I've read complaints about the clamping systems from all the brands. Some don't like the rubber in the KME, some don't like the clamps on the other systems either. So that's a wash IMO. KME will be cheaper, and you can easily pick it up and move it around any way you want. I find that helps me see the edge in perfect light. As others have said, if you're doing longer knives the 6 inch stones that come with the other systems would be an advantage.
You really can't go wrong with any of the top systems out there.

AFAIK, TSProf does not have magnetic tables, and their fillet clamps do not allow 15 degrees per side on narrow blades. The Kadet that I have does not provide any good place to put the angle gauge, and angle adjustments are awkward.

The Hapstone R2/V8 system has a magnetic table, better clamps, and easier angle adjustments.

I’ve owned both. The KME first. Which I sold and got the TSPROF. In my humble opinion the TSPROF is a far superior system. Especially the one with the built in angle finder. Both will work just fine though.

Good morning all.

Attached is copy of a post of mine from a week or 2 ago. I hope you get it in time before you make your decision.

This contribution has 2 intentions - to give my recent experience on guided systems, and with the diamond stones used by them
I have recently bought a TSprof Pioneer and couldn't be more satisfied. It replaced a KME which I soon realised had too many shortcomings on blades longer than 150mm which is pretty well all my kitchen knives. Here in Australia there is no such thing as a legal EDC unless it has less than a 100mm blade.
Those shortcomings include the tightening of clamps on both the blade holder and the stone holder, the large angle variation from tip to centre as a result of the geometry of the frame, the 4" stones and more.
The TSprof while 50% more expensive including stones solved all these issues. If you buy only the kit without stones it's cheaper than the KME with diamond stones.
As for stones, in Australia we have ready access to Chinese items including diamond stones via Temu. A Jende 6"x1" diamond stone from a local sharpening retailer costs me A$80 delivered, a 6"x0.75" stone from Lanboashi in China via Temu costs A$5 delivered. I doubt that the cheap ones will last as long as the Jende but my experience so far is that the Jende won't last 10 times as long, even allowing for the odd manufacturing shortcoming in the Chinese product (in the 12 stones I have bought to date had no issues). The saving in 4 stones enables me to buy a Miyabi gyuto.
Bottom line is that I have a TSprof with 6" Chinese diamond stones, for the same price as a KME kit with it's 4" diamond stones.
This is not a knocking of other's views, just my experience.

Back