Tsukamaki questions (handle wrap)

John Cahoon

JWC Custom Knives
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Well I'm making an aikuchi like object and practicing my coreless paracord wrap. I completed the full length today for the first time except for finishing the butt wrap and it's definitely better than yesterday! That's blue richlite scales underneath and nothing's been glued up yet. I added the nubby guards because I can't abide a smooth transition from handle to edge, seems too dangerous if one's hand slips. My plan is to eventually add a turk's head knot to the front maybe. I do have a couple of questions:

You can see my diamonds aren't near good enough yet and my twists seem to migrate out towards the tang edges instead of staying centered. Do I just push them in with a fine tool or something? I've seen repeated references to hishigami, tiny little paper triangles that go under each wrap but don't know if they are for holding the twists toward the center.

In the vertical view you can see it's kind of a mess. I did not tap these down with a mallet in this picture, haven't tried that yet. Is that what I need to do?

My plan is to finish by brushing on cyanoacrylate and a source for a small can would be helpful, I need a bunch of other supplies and would like enough to do many more of these. Hopefully it would have a long shelf life cause it will be a while.

IMG_2943.JPGIMG_2944.JPGIMG_2945.JPG

Here's links to the 2 sites I'm using: http://www.cottontailcustoms.com/tsukamaki/ and

In the video the guy goes slow so that's pretty helpful and cottontailcustoms is a pictorial/written. both seem pretty good.
And finally, I wasn't planning on using the blaze orange except for practice but either red or black as shown, for aesthetics what do you prefer?

Last edited:
Do yourself a favor and get real ito cord, or long flat shoe lace to wrap with. Paracord just makes it harder and never looks great with that wrap.

Superglue will not work well and just make it hard. Get some impregnanting resin or flex coat.

Wrappring is not hard, what is hard is doing it correctly to have it come out nice. Here is one I did with Max CLR from Polymer composites it can be bought from Amazon and Ebay as well as directly from the company.

Ito cord can be bought on Amazon and Ebay as well.

qWvZcwM.jpg

I second Adam's advice. Get some cotton ito and practice with it.

If the links are still good, there is tsukamaki tutorials and info in the Stickys.

Thanks for the advice guys I'll do that. I tend to stay away from big A and the auction site but has anyone used swordparts.com? They seem to have a good selection at reasonable prices.

ETA a lot of dead links in the stickies, 50/50

Last edited:
I went with Amazon (don't like monopolies but what are you gonna do eh? ) after all and ordered 5 colors to spread out the shipping. Ordered Monday and got them today, must say I was impressed. 5 meters by 1/2". At full stretch it narrows to 5/16 or so. Thanks again Adam and Stacey for the sound advice as always.

So this is working out much better, diamonds are much more even. After 2-3 tries I realized that 2 twists was sending the twists out onto the spine so I thought why not just one twist. My theory is real katana handles are taller maybe? Anyway this worked better but it's still just encroaching onto the spine. wip2a.jpgwip2b.jpgwip2c.jpg

The other thing I realized is that maybe the twists are supposed to "nest", the top next to the bottom one, not one on top of the other. The videos and written descriptions don't come right out and say that but it seems to make the vertical view more better. BTW if anyone has a good vertical view straight down on the spine that'd be great because I really don't know what they are supposed to look like.

So I have a lot more practice runs ahead here and if you see anything obvious that I'm screwing up please chime in.

You need to read a tsukamaki tutorial closely.
1) They are folds ... not twists.
2) They nest into each other.
3) The direction of each fold is very important (up and under/down and over).
4) You are criss-crossing your wraps. The sides should be paralell up to the folds.

I think on a handle the size you are doing 8 or 10mm would be a better size ito. Take a look at Adam's wrap to see how it is done neatly.

Back