1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Tsunami blade tang...

Discussion in 'SOG Specialty Knives' started by carnifex, Mar 31, 2000.

1. carnifex

carnifex

Dec 22, 1999
    I have a question about the Tsunami for you guys at SOG.
    I was considering strpping off the Kraton handle and replace it with something a bit more durable, like Micarta or G10. Or hell, maybe even a semi traditional japanese handle.
    But, I don't wanna do that without having atleast a rudimentary idea of what the blade tang looks like. Any chance I could see a picture or maybe a sketch of what the tang looks like without the Kraton?
    I am aware that this procedure would void the warranty, but that really doesn't concern me too much.
    I love the Tsunami, but I just never really liked the Kraton handles. I much prefer Zytel handles like the one on the Seal Knife 2000. I hope you guys will consider mowing away from the Kraton in general as I atleast consider the Zytel to be a far superior handle material. I am fairly confident I am not the only one of that conviction.
    Look forward to your response, Ron.

------------------
    Regards
    Joshua "Kage" Calvert

"Move like Water, strike like Thunder..."

2. Ron Andersen

Ron Andersen

Mar 23, 2000
    Hi Joshua,

Thanks for your comments. Kraton is a wonderful, much used handle material, but it is a love/hate thing...either one thinks it's the best handle they have every wrapped their hand around, or that it's aweful and won't last long at all.

From my experienced vantage point as the one who handles all returns for SOG, I think Kraton is much better than you are giving it credit. I have seen knife abuses that you just can't believe. I've also seen knives that have been USED! I mean REALLY USED! I'm talking "three wars" used. And besides the dog that ate the Kraton handle on a SOG Tech, those handles have held up remarkably in the field. Also, if it becomes defective, it will fall under our lifetime warranty and you are covered.

Now to your question. I don't have any photos or drawings for you. And you are right, removing the handle will void your warranty. I have seen some of our knives with the handles removed (though I have not seen the Tsunami, I am guessing most of our knives are similar in this way). The tang tapers a bit after (or at) the crossguard then continues to the butt of the knife (the lanyard hole goes through the end of the tang). I've seen some tangs on other manufacturer's knives where there are just little spindles though the handle...this is not the case with SOG. Though ours are not as broad as the blade, I'd say it is about 50% tapered and consistant to the butt. (I'm not a techi person, so I hope this description communicates well.)

If there is anything else I can do for you, please let me know.

[email protected]

------------------
    Email: [email protected]

3. nick1016

nick1016

Mar 25, 2000

4. Ron Andersen

Ron Andersen

Mar 23, 2000
    Hi Kage,

I did take a Tsunami apart. The tang is exactly as I described it: "The tang tapers a bit after (or at) the crossguard then continues to the butt of the knife (the lanyard hole goes through the end of the tang)...it is about 50% tapered and consistant to the butt."

Hope this helps.

[email protected]

------------------

5. carnifex

carnifex

Dec 22, 1999
    Thank you for the info, Ron. I appreciate and yes, it does help. Now I know that I will probably take my Tsunami apart and fit it with a better handle.
    Sorry, Ron. I just don't trust Kraton in the longterm.
    I do have one additional question regarding my Tsunami.
    The grinds seem somewhat sloppy to tell the truth. There is a significant difference between the two sides of the blade. I don't know if this is something that would warrant a return to you people or if this sort of thing isn't covered by your warranty. Should I send it in to you guys so you can take a look at it? Ofcourse, I will do this before I strip the handle [​IMG]

------------------
    Regards
    Joshua "Kage" Calvert

"Move like Water, strike like Thunder..."

6. Ron Andersen

Ron Andersen

Mar 23, 2000
    Hi Kage,

We do hold our knives to the highest of standards, but they are productions knives and slight differences in grinds will happen. You said that there is "significant difference" between the ginds on either side of the blade. If that is the case and the blade is in new condition and never before sharpened, warranty applies. Give me a call and we can talk more about it.

[email protected]
    Ron Andersen
    888.SOG.BEST, ext. 228

------------------