Turco

I've searched this forum and the other one and the internet.

I can't find the official high temp for Turco.

-or-

Does anyone have first hand info on using this with ats-34 or S30V up around 1975 degrees?

Thanks,

Steve

I am not sure what the official high temp is, but I commonly use it to harden D2 at 1870F with great results. I like to quench the D2 as fast as possible and use oil. I can have ablade in the oil within a couple of seconds since there is no unwrapping.

I tried a batch of S30V at 2000F and decarbed 5 blades badly-I just threw them away.

Steve,
I haven't used Turco in a long time. Best I remember, it's 1900°, but I may be wrong.
Something you may want to try. Use 1" thick Aluminum plates (mine are 12"x12") and foil wrapped blades. When you pull them out of the oven, don't waste time cutting them out of the foil. Throw em on the plate, put the other one on top, and use squeeze clamps. I wrap 1 or 2 blades and only do 3 packs at a time. The decarb comes when you expose the hot blade to the air. This way, it doesn't happen.
The aluminum will bring them down fast and then you can cut the foil and do the temper. I consistently get Rc 59 from 1950° and 500° x 2 temper. That's with S30V.

I consistantly get good results using Turco on 440C @ 1650 and oil quench. Followed by a snap temper, Dry ice and acetone then two more tempers.
Last time I tried ATS34 it decarbed the hell out of the blades even at 1850.
Also found if you can bead blast first then coat W/Turco it sticks really well and evenly.

Thanks so much guys. That's good hard information.

OK so the turco for my 52100, but I'll have to buy some foil <sigh> No free lunch.

I love the plate idea, Kit. That's a go. The local scrap metal yard has a nice collection. I'll try aluminum and copper.

Steve

Gad - I'm really enjoying this.

Back