Turn Your Radio On!

EflkJC.jpg

SA1CtT.jpg

cBdNlU.jpg

VLYk9x.jpg

Love that ebony paul :)

Is there a difference between a radio jack and a crown lifter? or just the name?

The Ebony Diamonds are shaping up nicely. A little insight into how hard they are to finish,
[quote Bill] Remind me never to put a printed shield in a smooth handle (again).

Especially a diamond shield!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [unquote Bill]
:eek:
These are difficult to do. Bill will fulfill his contract, but may never make another one quite like this.:

I took a look at a few antique Diamond-Shielded D-Es that I have, and the shields are quite small! It is because it is too easy to sand off the corners, losing the stamping, while you are finishing the nice curves of the knife.
I knew I had read this somewhere!

No real difference, just cosmetics. Charlie's SFO Radio Jack was different because it had a bolster/cap on each end, brass liners, a little cut-out to reach the nail nick on the screwdriver/caplifter, and the diamond shield.

Surfing the web I found some cool old pictures to wake up the Radio Knife thread.

Don't see too many utility patterns with a wire skinner. I am digging the term "gouge blade" in the catalog. Also never heard the term "toggle" for a bail.

The photos were provided to The Multi-Tool Museum by G.L. of New Jersey. The ad was scanned from a 1929 Hibbard, Spencer, Bartlett & Co. Catalog.

Circa ~1915-1929.

We need to see more of these!

My one Radio Jack. I love it! And, I'm getting excited to see Charlie's Diamond shield on some upcoming Orchard Jacks!!

I'm going to have to find one of these SFOs!

Here's a photo of some oldies...

screwdrivers_zpser7ebzru.jpg

L to R: Schrade w/ locking electrician screwdriver (push on the back of the blade to release the lock), Morley "Radio Tool", Remington Radio Knife w/ locking screwdriver and button release, Robeson Radio Electrician's Knife, Remington with easy open blade.

morley_zpspa288fwj.jpg

radio-tool_zpstdlr8qkz.jpg

morley1_zpsp06k4xnw.jpg

Last edited:
The diamond series 15 is such a timeless design. I love the embellished shield. Hope to see more of these in the future.

I'm going to have to find one of these SFOs!

Here's a photo of some oldies...

L to R: Schrade w/ locking electrician screwdriver (push on the back of the blade to release the lock), Morley "Radio Tool", Remington Radio Knife w/ locking screwdriver and button release, Robeson Radio Electrician's Knife, Remington with easy open blade.

morley1_zpsp06k4xnw.jpg

Really nice Jake, especially like that Morley. Nice to see you around again!

Hear-hear pistons&gears in fact it's GREAT to see you here again Jake, by the way LOVELY collection of older radio utilities there my friend.

Last edited:
Bob, great to see that matching RJ and HJ pair. Hope you're well!

supratentorial, glad you're back and thanks for posting pics. That Radio Tool is something: I love the way the blades have been fit so well into the handle, and the bone jigging is really striking.

LastRodeo: You got a good one! Nice, even dark color on your chestnut RJ. I wish my red were more like that! :)

Back