Turning a HI WWII-khukri into a ”tactical” survival knife (lots of pics!)

The idea to this project did not come from me, I was inspired by a website I found a few months ago. Link here: http://www.m4040.com/Survival/Ghurka/Khukri Modification.htm . I was intrigued by the khukri modification on that particular site, and started reading up on this blade style. This happened at the same time when I started getting into bigger knives for added chopping power – a quest initiated by the purchase of my beloved Busse NO-E. I came to the conclusion that I need a khukri! I admire and collect all sorts of antique edged weapons and tools, but when it comes to user knives I dislike traditional looks and prefer the appearance and “benefits” of modern materials. So I decided to make a khukri modification similar to the one on M4040-s homepage. The Sarco khukri propagated by the website was so expensive to import that the whole idea of using a cheap khuk was moot. So, after reading Cliff Stamp’s HI khukri reviews, and lurking in the HI forums for a while, I decided that HI was the way to go – they’re reputed to make some of the best khukris out there. So I got my 16,5” WWII from a fellow forumite in the Exchange forums (A special thanks to you, RAT-30, for having the trust to send this khukri halfway around the world!).

I decided to document my work with the WWII – I did not use a lot of tools, just what most of us have at home (the most hi-tech items were sandpaper, a Swisstool and the Dremel). Modifying this knife was great fun, so I hope you enjoy this small “tutorial”!

The original khuk as photographed by RAT-30:
1-1.jpg

The fist thing was to sand off the handle rings. They felt very uncomfortable in my hands. I also changed the shape of the upper part of the butt; it feels less restrictive in chopping now. The polished handle feels great, but is a bit too slippery (more on this later):
3-1.jpg

Next, I removed some small scratches and kinks in the blade and straightened and deepened the blade grooves using a Dremel and some needle files (they’re still not perfectly straight). This took quite some elbow grease… I etched the blade using vinegar in a plastic bottle (heated by warm water in the kitchen sink). I also removed the cho – this was a tough decision, but I prefer the functionality of a choil (I also removed a potential stress riser (?)).
2-1.jpg

The result:
4-1.jpg

Removing the leather from the wooden scabbard slabs was easy, I just pulled out the nails and removed the thread that held the stitching in the back.
5-1.jpg

6-1.jpg

The sheath slabs were sanded and impregnated with varnish. To hold them together and to increase the water resistance they were covered with electrician’s tape. A strip of the original leather was left to protect the edges:
7-1.jpg

8-1.jpg

A small piece of wood was applied to the front of the sheath to provide extra grip purchase for the belt frog.
9-1.jpg

A piece of green canvas was folded over and fitted to the scabbard. The edges were marked and then sewn on a sewing machine. The sock-like covering was turned inside out (to hide the stitching) and pulled over the sheath:
10-1.jpg

(Continued in the next post)

A piece of a cordura shoulder strap from an old backpack was turned into a belt frog for the sheath. My girlfriend had to help me with the sewing because I didn’t get along with the sewing machine. The frog is constructed so that the knife can be worn either horizontally or vertically.
11-1.jpg

The last step was the addition of a front cordura pocket to store some small items. The pocket is actually a Blackhawk S.T.R.I.K.E. MOLLE single-mag pouch - the size is conveniently adjustable. I added some extra lashing holes to make the pouch fit snugly to the sheath. Finally, I wrapped the sheath with a length of paracord.
13-1.jpg

14-1.jpg

Here is the finished knife together with some “survival” items that fit in the pouch. I wrapped the handle with more paracord to increase the grip, and a piece of bicycle inner-tube prevents the paracord from unravelling while it adds some extra grip. This is the first ”gadgeted” setup that I have tried, and I am not sure if I will like all the extra stuff on the sheath in the long run, but making all of this was a lot of fun. The WWII in this setup is by far my best chopper; I have brought up the edge to shaving sharpness, but it needs some more thinning to reach its full potential IMO. Hopefully, I will have some time to try it out this weekend.
15-1.jpg

16-1.jpg

17.jpg

Great job! You gotta love them Khukuris! I will be interested if that cord wrap holds for you after a couple of chopping sessions. Enjoy!

Excellent post Krav Dragon :thumbup:

I did nearly the same thing there a little bit ago , you're right it was a lot fun , I really enjoyed doing it.
After I completed the sheath though , I found the whole package to be very weighty and cumbersome , I could see keeping it in my truck's toolbox for use but I would not want to have to carry it.

Questions , so does WWII mean yours is World War 2 era ? I dont know anything about HI's blades.
Also , are the knife laws in Sweden pretty friendly ?

Good job on your thread again :)

Great job, Krav! :D :thumbup: :thumbup:

It looks like you had a great time making the modifications! I really like the outcome - I'm glad I could help get you that fine blade.

Best regards,

John

Great job! But, darn it, you've given me the urge to try the same thing this winter and I've got too many projects now. Oh well. When stationed in Korea in 1980, I was in charge of a platoon of Ghurka GIs who guarded a sensitive area at night. They all carried a khukri stuck in their belts in the middle of their backs. Their sergeant gave me one when I left Korea so it's a surenuff khukri with the two little knives in the sheath and all that. Mine has a wooden handle and it's split over the years since then so a new handle will be a must. I'll need to test the blade also and see how good the steel is.
Anyway, great job and I'm sure you had a ball doing it.

Hey guys, thanks for the kind words... :eek: :)

sodak, you might be right about the cord wrap... Fortunately, I have a few back-up plans, one is to just roughen the grip by dotting it with a pyrograph. That would look good too!

rebeltf, thanks. ;) WWII is the model name. The khukri itself is fairly new, but the model (shape & size/weight-ratio) has been around since WWII, much like a Ka-Bar. (I wouldn’t do that to a vintage blade... :) ) Knife laws here are pretty restrictive, but can be interpreted in different ways; carrying a multitool in public is probably okay, while a locking folder is probably not. That makes at least one of my EDC-s probably illegal… :D

Leatherface, Old CW4, try it, it's fun! It handles better than an original HI too...

Old CW4, that's cool. I showed my modified khukri to a former British Army Gurkha (I know him from a neighboring department) and he really liked my modifications. The cool thing was that he was treating the knife just like any everyday object, he didn't chew me out for removing the cho, or perform the "ceremonial gurkha khukri knife dance" when he saw the knife or anything like that...

Just stumbled on to this post. What you did to the Khukri looks awesome. The handle mod especially. I hope it holds out for you once you start working it. Best of luck on a great looking set-up.
:thumbup:
Maybe post some more pics after some heavy chopping.

Back