TW-90 in New Shop. Convert to 220?

I've just moved my grinder to my new shop. I used it in 115V configuration for several years in my old place, but my new shop only has GFI 115v and 4 prong twist lock 220v single phase plugs. I've always wanted to convert the TW-90 to 220 input, but the stock power cord has only three wires and the 4 prong twist lock plugs need 4(?). I'm no electrician and am probably going to bring one in to help me, but I'd like to get it up and running sooner if possible. I don't know if I need to get a 4 wire power cord and plug or a three wire plug of some sort and change one of the 220 wall plugs into a different format. The KBAC-27D VFD says not to use the unit with GFI 115v plugs and to change the jumper wire internally over to 230, which I already did. Other than that, the manual I dowloaded was a bit over my head, but it appears there are only three input terminals. If there's a simple solution, I'd love to hear about it. Travis is so busy I hate to take him away from his work, so I thought I'd ask here since a number of TW-90 users follow this board. Thanks.

By the way, the Hammer-In at Wuertz Machine Works was great. I learned a lot and really feel energized to try out some new stuff. I wasn't following Forged in Fire beforehand, but I had lunch with two guys who were contestants. I was really impressed with that till all the contestants at the Hammer-In posed for a group picture. As it turns out, there were 7 guys in attendance who had been on the show.

When wired for 220VAC, the motor only needs 2 hots and a ground, or three wires; there is no neutral. You can technically use the 4 prong twist lock and just not use the neutral lug on your cord end, but I'd probably just change the outlet receptacle and use 3 prong for both. Just put a wire nut over the neutral and tuck it into the box.

Also make sure that you install a Double pole switch on your motor if Travis didn't use one all ready. You want BOTH hot leads isolated when the motor is switched off.

When wired for 220VAC, the motor only needs 2 hots and a ground, or three wires; there is no neutral. You can technically use the 4 prong twist lock and just not use the neutral lug on your cord end, but I'd probably just change the outlet receptacle and use 3 prong for both. Just put a wire nut over the neutral and tuck it into the box.

Also make sure that you install a Double pole switch on your motor if Travis didn't use one all ready. You want BOTH hot leads isolated when the motor is switched off.
So You mean that He will use two phases. That circuit makes only 200V. It will work but not so effective like on 220-230V. If You do this the motor and whole construction have to be properly grounded! Otherwise You risk serious injuries or death! If You don't know what to do let it do for skilled electricians!

So You mean that He will use two phases. That circuit makes only 200V. It will work but not so effective like on 220-230V. If You do this the motor and whole construction have to be properly grounded! Otherwise You risk serious injuries or death! If You don't know what to do let it do for skilled electricians!

No, he'll still be using only single phase. The VFD is what converts the 110VAC or 220VAC single phase into three phase. 1 phase in, 3 phase out.

As for getting only 200V, I'm not sure where you get that idea? The VFD will output the same as the input voltage in this case.

I will agree with your point on grounding, and its always best to have a knowledgeable electrician perform the work if there are any doubts.

No, he'll still be using only single phase. The VFD is what converts the 110VAC or 220VAC single phase into three phase. 1 phase in, 3 phase out.

As for getting only 200V, I'm not sure where you get that idea? The VFD will output the same as the input voltage in this case.

I will agree with your point on grounding, and its always best to have a knowledgeable electrician perform the work if there are any doubts.

It's my fault. I didn't fully understood your terminology especially in shortcuts. What I imagine is He uses 115V 2 phases (two hots You said, I understood hot=phase). I already asked uncle Google to tell me what is GFI. What You mean with "4 prong twist lock 220v single phase plugs."? There's already 220V on the wall and he solving only connections from wall to VFD on grinder? 200V You will get if You use two 115V phases with no grounding. As we in our region can use 2x 230V to get 1x 400V. I know what is VFD, I use one everytime I start my grinder and yes I understand how it is working. But My one converts 1x230V to 3x230V. There is no voltage change.

It's my fault. I didn't fully understood your terminology especially in shortcuts. What I imagine is He uses 115V 2 phases (two hots You said, I understood hot=phase). I already asked uncle Google to tell me what is GFI. What You mean with "4 prong twist lock 220v single phase plugs."? There's already 220V on the wall and he solving only connections from wall to VFD on grinder? 200V You will get if You use two 115V phases with no grounding. As we in our region can use 2x 230V to get 1x 400V. I know what is VFD, I use one everytime I start my grinder and yes I understand how it is working. But My one converts 1x230V to 3x230V. There is no voltage change.

why would you spout off to someone about not knowing what they are saying when you had no Idea if he was giving sound advice or not? (which he was giving sound advice )

Last edited:

I see, it seems to just be a bit of a language barrier. Phase and "hot" are not exactly the same, but I think you have a general idea of what I'm saying. As for "4 prong twist lock", it's a type of plug/power cord end, that when inserted can be twisted and locked into the wall outlet so that the cord can't be easily pulled out. There are both 3 and 4 pronged versions of this, for various amperages and voltages. The three pronged are configured for either 115V or 230V, and will have either a hot, neutral and ground connection for 115V, or 2 hots and a ground for 230V. The 4 prong will have 2 hots, a neutral AND a ground, and is typically used in circuits where you need both a 115V AND 230V power supply (hence the neutral).

In the case of the TW-90, you only need the 230V supply, so a neutral will not be used or needed.

I see, it seems to just be a bit of a language barrier. Phase and "hot" are not exactly the same, ... it's a type of plug/power cord end, that when inserted can be twisted and locked into the wall outlet so that the cord can't be easily pulled out. ... The 4 prong will have 2 hots, a neutral AND a ground, and is typically used in circuits where you need both a 115V AND 230V power supply (hence the neutral).

In the case of the TW-90, you only need the 230V supply, so a neutral will not be used or needed.

Ah, I think I understand. Thank You for explanation. And sorry to everyone who feel touched by my replies. My aim was help prevent injuries and not start a flame war.

Wow. This was great. Thanks so much for the information. It makes sense now since there is no neutral wire needed. I went out and got a 4 prong plug that matches my wall sockets, wired it up and the grinder runs perfectly. I was a little worried it might run backwards or something, but no problem.

Last edited:
I see, it seems to just be a bit of a language barrier.

Not just a Language barier

In USA and Canada, we share the same electrical standards

His profile lists him as from Slovakia

Europe and UK have completely different standards from us

Here, we put two 110 together to make 220
So 220 single phase is two hots and a ground. (usually black, red and green)

There he has 220 in one wire
As we in our region can use 2x 230V to get 1x 400V.

It's drastically different

Not just a Language barier

In USA and Canada, we share the same electrical standards

His profile lists him as from Slovakia

Europe and UK have completely different standards from us

Here, we put two 110 together to make 220
So 220 single phase is two hots and a ground. (usually black, red and green)

There he has 220 in one wire

It's drastically different

You have right, it is. Just finished reading some documents about power distribution in USA. Now I understand (i hope) what You mean with term two hots. :) Simple they are two wires from transformer that You (meaning in USA) have front of Your house. On its primary is 19 kV (or so) and on secondary there are two coils, giving 115V each, connected with common ground. That's why You have choice for 110(115)/220(230)V. In Europe (or surely in Slovakia) we have one big transformer for whole village (or few for city, depend on size of city) and 230V with no other voltage choices for apartments. There are incoming three phases to every house, 120° rotated to each other. That's why we have 400V from 2x230V. :)

Last edited:
Back