Tweeking a photo of mine..thoughts?

I did this photo a while back and I was just doing a little photoshop looking for opinions? It was project that I did for my co-workers.
1337121043_f55de3eae4_o.jpg

Thanks,
Jason

very nice, maybe a little too bright, but otherwise I like it a lot.

I think it would look better if the lightning was centered more in the background to get rid of the dark right side of the picture,then you could darken the overexposure from the large lightning bolt without making any more of the photo black.It is a good photo,nice work.:thumbup:

I like the composition as shown, but to me the extreme brightness of the white hats detracts from the overall effect. Hats need to look more like the one on the far right.

I think it's Cool. Nice Work.:cool::thumbup:

The only thing I see that is bad with this Image is, 555 can not Photoshop yet. :D :)

The font on the bottom has kerning issues. Drop shadows need work. Lose the bevel & emboss on the white lettering. Try the Burn tool for the hats.

don't know if it's available but they would look really cool if they were all running (galloping)across the field with that lightning in the back ground

What Rat said and....
Switch the lines of type.
Ride the lightning in the dark area top right.
Horse patrol line centered under the line of horses.

Headline first.
Explanation/who second.

Without the type...nice. I'd tone down the hats a bit, otherwise...nice :D

SharpByCoop

Enjoying the discussions
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I don't love the sepia tone. What's it look like in color?

Possibly a sepia/color tone hybrid. How would just the men and horses look with color?

Coop

Gollnick

Musical Director
I like the composition as shown, but to me the extreme brightness of the white hats detracts from the overall effect. Hats need to look more like the one on the far right.

Exactly. With all due repsect to John B. Stetson, no hats made are as bright as a lightening bolt.

Because you asked.
I would reverse the lighting, so it's forking right to left. It could then be made larger, perhaps even spanning the whole line of riders. Center the line of riders. I don't like mixing fonts, I would use something like Legal Tender, to make it look more governmental. I would also increase the size of the type.

I don't mind the Sepia, you could certainly try what Coop suggests and make a muted color version, kind of like what you see in "Deadwood" from HBO. The white hats don't bother me, it's artistic license. If every tone in an image were correct most photos would be horrible. It's why we do image editing in the first place.

Upon further review ;)

Soften up the horizon line.
That cut is hard & sharp, artificial.

The white hats...hey, they're the good guys right? :D

The "Ride the lightning" typeface is horrible.
The kerning is atrocious.
One typeface is the way to go, and that aint it.
You could even go with one of the "woods" faces like "rosewood" for that old west look.

"Skootch" the lightnin to the right a little to get it off the fellow's hat, in the center, would help some too.

Oh my, it is fun being an art director :D
The hardest things for me to learn in art school were:
Learning to accept criticism
and
There is no B&W right and wrong, just varying shades of gray, good and bad :D

Juat a quickie copy & paste job, I think somethng like this flows better.

328450124.jpg