Twenty 3V HD Field Knives (THE N.A.S.K!), micarta, "Delta 3V"

Nathan the Machinist

KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
This will unlock at 3:00 eastern time. Being a new pattern I wanted to give folks a chance to read and understand what is for sale without being in a hurry. Futures sales of this pattern will be out on the main "Fixed blade for sale" area, in about four weeks.

We're going to try to shoot some video for the new pattern today.

The Heavy Duty Field Knife was designed as a collaboration with Lorien Arnold. It is a well made, extremely durable, high performance large utility knife designed for comfortable extended rough use. The steel is Delta heat treat optimized Crucible CPM 3V at HRC 60-61 with very good edge retention and edge stability. You'll be surprised how sharp this gets and how well it holds an edge. If you have never used 3V like this, it is gonna blow your mind.

This steel does not need to be extremely thick to be nearly unbreakable, so this was taken down to .025" before sharpening and it was sharpened 20 degrees per side. It's a hard-use knife that cuts well.

They're hand ground after machining utilizing tooling and a process we developed to reproduce the complex bevel geometry found on a competition cutter with three world championships on it. We're developing that capability for another project but decided to include it on this new pattern. It incorporates a very shallow S grind that is mostly flat, but convex at the shoulder and behind the edge and includes an approximate 100" hollow grind in the center of the grind.

Some might consider this a tactical knife but the point is not reinforced and it is not shaped or balanced as a weapon. It is a hard working cutting tool that could be carried into combat, a big skinning knife and a hard use woods knife.

This is our most developed hand grip yet. It supports multiple positions to reduce fatigue and accommodate multiple tasks including a pinch grip and choil grip at the balance point for detail work, a regular hammer grip and saber grip and also a rearward 3 1/2 finger grip that allows you some extra length that makes it a surprisingly effective chopper for its size. The full size handle has been thoroughly tested and designed to minimize hand and arm fatigue during extended use.

Unnecessary weight is removed where possible and the tang is internally skeletonized for a neutral balance. The scales are 3D sculpted CNC machined. The blade is made of .220" 3V with a heat treat that has been optimized for edge durability in rough use. You can baton and pry with it. You might damage the edge if you set your mind to it, but the knife itself is practically unbreakable.

A side effect of this heat treat is a higher percentage of free chromium, so although it is not stainless, it is nearly so.

Specs:
CPM 3V, Delta heat treat, tested 60-61 HRC, .220" thick at ricasso
Total length 11.825"
Blade length 6.5"”
Weight 12.8 oz
Grippy 3D machined scales in micarta and Terotuf.
Black oxide treated 18-8 stainless steel fasteners

The price includes a very nice Mashed Cat sheath with TecLok. This is not a small knife so if you'd prefer a dangler sheath rather than a TecLok add $15 to substitute a dangler sheath.

(If you're putting it on or in your pack or carrying it horizontal you might prefer the TecLok but if you're planning to carry it vertically on your belt you might prefer a dangler)

Tell me what scale option you choose and I'll build it. There are Twenty knives available in this sale. The knives in the picture are not the knives you will receive. They need scales and sharpened. We'll start shipping early next week but they won't all be finish until end of next week.

Today is Jo's birthday. I think she turned 29 again. She won't be contacting people today because it's her day off. Please be patient, it might be Monday.

s8rLJNH.jpg

WgbpU9U.jpg

tC4xd4F.jpg

djgMrqp.jpg

obHWWKf.jpg

c1X2f8u.jpg

FjCrADB.jpg

KhMrqn6.jpg

AdbzuR0.jpg

6MOLfJK.jpg

3BhKjpc.jpg

L5PkPvo.jpg

fltobj8.jpg

QdAdiDy.jpg

Price is:
$330 in black or natural micarta
$345 in OD green Micarta on black micarta liner
$355 in black (gray) Terotuf (ugly material that works awesome) on black micarta liner
$365 in maroon Micarta on black micarta liner

Price includes a good kydex sheath with TekLok. Change from TekLok to dangler add $15.

Shipping is $10

I take paypal, cash, check, young able-bodied children (does not need to be first born) or MO.

Jo will contact you via PM or email on Sunday or Monday. Emails though BF often get lost in spam filters. If you don't hear from her by Monday please contact Jo on her PM, or send us an email at carothersknives at g mail dought com

We're going to have a few 10" 4V Light Chopper prototypes here on our forum in a couple weeks. These will be the last of that pattern.

Due to limited quantities, please limit one order per post

Thanks for looking,
Nathan

Last edited:
I will take one in black unbuffed Micarta with dangler. Or Antique Micarta handles if possible.

YES!!

Last edited:
I’ll take one, please!

EDIT: OD Green Micarta and teklock sheath version. Thanks!!

Last edited:
One HDFK in polished OD green micarta with black liners, please. Sheath with Tek-Lok. Thanks Nathan and Jo!

I'd like two please:
One maroon, one od green canvas. Thanks!

Last edited:
I'll take one
Maroon Micarta on Black Micarta Liner
+ Dangler

Back