1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Twice as sharp or tomek

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by cap'njake, Sep 3, 2017.

1. cap'njake

cap'njake

Aug 15, 2016
    So I have been sharpening scissors on stones for awhile now and am looking at an upgrade. I kinda want a tormek t8 for pretty much everything I can sharpen on it. Chisels, knives, plane blades, drill bits, turning tools, everything. But for sharpening scissors and shears does the tormek stand up to the wolff twice as sharp at all?

2. cbwx34

cbwx34

Dec 27, 2004
    I've never used a TAS, so can't make a comparison... but I've sharpened common household scissors on the Tormek, and it does a good job. (Never done hairstylist scissors, so don't know about those... there was a guy years ago on the Yahoo Tormek forum, that did those with an adapter he made, but for most "pro sharpeners" I think the TAS was favored). I'm pretty sure the TAS would easily win a "speed contest"... don't know if that matters to you or not... but how many you do may also matter.

Seems to me the question also is.... do I want a device that will sharpen: "chisels, knives, plane blades, drill bits, turning tools, everything"... or a device that will only sharpen scissors?

3. cap'njake

cap'njake

Aug 15, 2016
    Either way I will end up getting a tormek. I am just curious if the twice as sharp does a better job. Speed is kinda a factor as I do sharpen some for money but it is strictly a part time gig and where I get customers is from the quality of my sharpening. Also any money i make goes towards buying more stones, grinders, belts, and things like that. So if I could get a better quality sharpening job off the tormek even if it is a little slower I will choose the tormek.

4. cbwx34

cbwx34

Dec 27, 2004
    Never having used a TAS... I don't know. (Sounds like you'll end up with both at some point...). ;)

A 3rd option, since you own a belt sander... there's a YT poster (gravediggermax)... that has adapted the TAS scissor holder to work on his belt sander. Not sure if it's a route you can go (his is a Viel which has a scissor jig that the adapter fits too)... but might be worth looking into.

5. cap'njake

cap'njake

Aug 15, 2016
    Never really thought about that but ya that might be very possible. Actually would probably be easy to do convex beauty scissors if I used a slack belt for them and then put a flat platen on for beveled scissors. Thanks this is why I love asking these questions on here. Everyone has different views and experience and most everyone is incredibly supportive.

6. wvdavidr

wvdavidr

Mar 21, 2007
    I'd be careful trying to sharpen hair scissors with a belt. If you mess them up, you'll be expected to replace them. The standard is so high that, if the scissors pull one hair, it's a 'fail.' I would even doubt that the Tormek can reach that standard. I sharpen regular scissors with the Edge Pro scissor attachment. I'll decline any salon scissors.

7. cbwx34

cbwx34

Dec 27, 2004
    Good point, and in thinking about it... I’m not sure even the TAS is used for hair scissors? (At least not the basic setup). I think most used a special horizontal wheel, from what I remember.

8. razor-edge-knives

razor-edge-knives Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 3, 2011
    The TAS is an amazing machine for standard industrial scissors, and it can be used for convex beauty shears but you must have the training for it and use their special attachment (purchased seperately). It is still cheaper than their Hira-To which is over $2k but one of the best systems on the market imho. I have a TAS but freehand it on the belt now, much quicker =)

9. MaxfromVirginia

MaxfromVirginia

Feb 25, 2017
    the Viel belt sander i use (gravediggermax) has a penn state variable speed motor - i use the veil new style scissor arm, but i use the TAS clamp. i does a great job on industrial / household type scissors. now i will say that 3 of my fellow sharpeners, 2 in NC and 1 in TX were using the same, but just recently all 3 have purchased the TAS and the fast rpms.............the 3 love the TAS over the belt...fyi.....i plan on a new T8 tormek this week and will purchase the scissor attachment for it.....

10. FuelBoat

FuelBoat

Sep 28, 2016
    Have you looked at Wicked Edge, they just updated their scissor attachment.

11. cap'njake

cap'njake

Aug 15, 2016
    I actually ended up getting the TAS I got the whole kit. Even the convex scissor jig. Works really well. I am happy with it. Convex scissors I found it is really important to take them apart and tend to the ride line. I use shapton pro stones to work that.

12. cap'njake

cap'njake

Aug 15, 2016
    Also plan on getting a tormek next. Was thinking about taking the arm from the TAS and the convexing jig from it and making a base to set the tormek on that the TAS jig assemby could mount to so j could use the convexing jig on the tormek. Tormek has that 4000 grit japanese stone and I bet it would work really well on beauty scissors and wouldn't have to worry about getting them hot at all with the added bonus of it being slower and slightly more controlled.

13. HeavyHanded

HeavyHanded

Jun 4, 2010
    A little off-topic, but what are you using as a test for sharpness on the convex shears?

14. cap'njake

cap'njake

Aug 15, 2016
    I use either hair or single ply toilet paper or a damp kleenex. I like the toilet paper and kleenex to test most because you can see exactly where it pulls or tears instead of cutting really easily

15. cap'njake

cap'njake

Aug 15, 2016
    Also you can dampen the kleenex to test also. That really seems to show any issues.

16. HeavyHanded

HeavyHanded

Jun 4, 2010
  17. cap'njake

cap'njake

Aug 15, 2016
    No problem at all.