Twin Tantos

SolarStorm50

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
This was a graduation present from a father to a son. They are avid hikers and wanted something that also bound their faith in their knives. Matching 6" CuMai Tantos. Ironwood scales with a custom pin to mark their faith. There is a glass breaker point on the pommel, and one of the knives has "Love Dad" etched into the pommel.

rs=w:480,cg:true,m

rs=w:740,cg:true,m

rs=w:740,cg:true

rs=w:740,cg:true

rs=w:640,cg:true,m

Beautiful work

Im very knew at this hobby - any tutorials out there on how to make an organized graphic handle like that? the strips and the little thing in the middle?

All the knife handles i have made come from those pre-made handles that are nice but the graphics are random patterns.

This is really nice!

the “strips” are just different materials glued together. The black is Micarta, the strips are colored micarta, and the wood is a type of ironwood. Im not much help because I make it all myself to lower my costs. Making a segmented handle scale is just careful alignment and clamping. they are glued with epoxy. Having a micarta liner between the handle and scale gives you something to glue to, as well as adding a lot of accent to the handle.

The mosiac pins are made by I guy I use in Russia. Reasonable prices and good work. But there are a ton of guys that will make mosiac pins. Just search the facebook groups.

You are a master -

I checked out your site.

You still selling these pieces?
Such a work of art Bravo

I really on do custom orders. I this piece that I have been trying to work on in my spare time, but everything else I have built is a custom commission

I am really hoping to have this one done by the end of April but have to finish up two a cumai billet I am selling to another smith and I have another rose to make for Mother’s Day.

https://solarstorm.ca/blog/f/etching-the-cobra

I call this one the cobra. I chose a different block of Burl for this one because it looks like my stabilization of the birch didn’t penetrate to my liking and it turned more pink than red. I chose a very blue/black Burl that I think will look great.

Back