Twitch 2

sorry for the second post, i was going to just edit my other thread but i couldnt edit the title.

is there any thing bad about the twitch 2's (i ask bad specificly because im expecting a lot of good responces). do the assist mechanics get dirty easily or are they sealed up pretty well?

anyother oppinions about them would be appreciated but my biggest thing is just trying to see if there is any reason to not get it (i know there are plenty of reasons to get one)

thanks a lot
-matt

No dirt, unless you use them in dirt, I just rinse mine out out occasionally.

They work perfectly...(fun) :cool: .....sometimes takes a few hours (break in) of use to get maximum blade opening speed.

Do not buy one if you don't want to have lots of fun (hour after hour) and all your friends will want to try it....and then want one too.

Robbie Roberson. ;)

very cool, after it breaks in is it better to store it with the blade open or doesnt really matter (i ask because i dont really know how them mechenism work so i dont know when stress is put on the spring, or what ever pushes the blade out)

thanks alot
-matt

I don't think it matters at all on blade storage. I've had several closed for over three years now with no problems at all.............and besides, if a spring breaks (coil). I'm certain SOG would fix it under warranty.

They are fun knives, I have several Flash IIs also.

Break in for twitches are not always needed, yours may not need it, but some I have seen need a few hours of opening and closing to make them really fast and smooth.

Hey, you live over the hills from me................

Robbie Roberson ;)

thanks alot, i ordered a twitch 2 black tie and a assisted opening box cutter this morning, now i cant wait.

lol ya over being the key word, my sister and brother in law just up form you up in KT (well some of the time, they have to travel for their work alot but ya)

thanks for the help, now i just have to figure out if its worth it to rist taking it to collage next year where "nothing that can be consitered a weapon is allowed in the dorms even if it is for a class"
-matt

Matt, you should also consider buying a Twitch-1: this one really could go with you everywhere - i wore mine as a tie pin and people never noticed
the only "bad" thing i could say is i haven't been able to find a torx so small to match the pivot for "fine tuning"

thanks, i might in a few months, the university im going to is kinda strict about "weapons" in the dorms (which lead to one reason i got all black... even though i probably would have any way, but hopefuly the all black will conseal better).

here in va the knie laws are pretty chill, as long as its under 3 inchs you can pretty much keep the folder consealed.

ill see how it all works out and go from there, thanks
-matt

The Twitch II is a cool looking little knife. I'm not sure if tolerances have been adjusted on recent models, because the one I own has some up/down play in the open "locked" position and I've not been able to adjust it. No side wobble, just some up down play. It's annoying at times and I suppose it's not an issue if you're doing light cutting (envelopes, tape, small packages), but it definitely doesn't give one the confidence to use it for any heavier tasks.

hmm, i thought i read that they have an adjustment screw for that. maybe im thinking of a differant knife
-matt

There's the pivot screw that can be tightened, then there's a smaller screw near the top. Adjusting either of them doesn't help except to adjust the tension of the blade when opening. There's no side to side wobble at all. Just some up/down play. Also, the blade on my sample leans toward the liner when closed no matter how one adjusts the pivot screw. Now, the AO feature functions as it should, it's just that you can feel the slight up and down wiggle when it's locked open. When I bought my Twitch II I thought it may have been defective, but I went back and I examined 2 others at the store I bought mine at and they were pretty much the same. It's a neat little knife which would probably get more use if it weren't for the slight play. I guess I'm spoiled on folders with zero bladeplay. :D

The Twitch II is a cool looking little knife. I'm not sure if tolerances have been adjusted on recent models, because the one I own has some up/down play in the open "locked" position and I've not been able to adjust it. No side wobble, just some up down play. It's annoying at times and I suppose it's not an issue if you're doing light cutting (envelopes, tape, small packages), but it definitely doesn't give one the confidence to use it for any heavier tasks.

After reading this I had to check if mine had any play, and I'll admit it did have a little, but I didn't even notice it until I went looking for it.

i think over all a little bit of play in any knife that is maing mass produced has to be there. if you want to have truly interchangable parts you cant have tolerances that are so tight each knife needs to be fitted to its self...

now if im paying in the 100's of dollars, i dont care how many of them they make some one better be hand fitting and finnishing them down to be as tight of tolerances.

-matt

i think over all a little bit of play in any knife that is maing mass produced has to be there. if you want to have truly interchangable parts you cant have tolerances that are so tight each knife needs to be fitted to its self...

now if im paying in the 100's of dollars, i dont care how many of them they make some one better be hand fitting and finnishing them down to be as tight of tolerances.

-matt

In the past I would have agreed with you, however, I'm of the opinion that these days even mass produced "inexpensive" knives can be made with virtually zero blade play. The Twitch II's up/down play is minimal, but we're talking about a small modern lockback folder with steel liners and aluminum scales, not Zytel or some other type of thermoplastic. Now, before you begin to think I'm a SOG basher, I'm not. I've owned sever SOG folders and fixed blades and have been extremely satisfied with them and I've always consider SOG to be one of the top specialty knife companies out there. However, I feel that if other manufacturers can throw out relatively inexpensive mass produced assisted openers (ie, Kershaw) with tighter tolerances so can SOG. I like small folders and the Twitch II certainly seemed to fit the bill and have the cool factor I was looking for, but alas, it will be reserved for casual use.

My zytel flash 2 has some play in all directions i dont worry about it though. Its used and has had the stop pin hit who knows how many times. Im about to take it apart and rotate the stop pin a bit and see what happens. If your knife has such a pin and your comfortable with taking it a apart try turning the pin a bit and see if it helps. Ive thought about a new stop pin a number of times. What would happen if you put a strong spring behind a stop pin? It would make sense that sucha pin would absorb the impact and push against the blade giving the blade a much more solid lock up feel.

I like my Twitch II. I like the Blink also, but you really have to be careful with that little handful; it will cut you.

you can adjust the vertical bladeplay by making the stop pin thicker
i've used a bit of duct tape on my Twitch 2 (rolled over the pin) and a dab of acrylic glue on my Twitch 1 (the pin was not secured and was rattling when the knife was shaken)
for the lateral bladeplay use militec

i just recieved it and its a nice little blade, very sharp definatly is smaller than i had expected but i knew it would be (if that makes any sence).

mine obvisouly needs break in but its not opening all the way unless i push pretty hard on the kick. is that normal?

also is the break in just losening up or what?
-mat

Yes, break in.

I have read somewhere here where certain people don't like to do this, but it works very well for all mine in the past.

One or two drops of "light weight" oil in the pivot area and on pivot side where you see a "tiny" hole in pivot, this is where the coil spring is.

Not thick oil, light oil, like sewing machine oil, this will provide an instant cure for a new tight blade.

Then sit and watch tv while opening and closing, it will get really smooth and fast.

Robbie Roberson ;)

ok very cool, ill use some light oil i have for paint ball guns (its lighter than most sewing machine oils)

hmm wow this this is sharp as crap, i was trying to close it and the knife sliped a little and just poped on its side (honest msitake not liek i was being stupid to let it happen) . hmm wow that sucked o hey it didnt go in at all just a little small line... hmm wait its starting to turn red.... wow im bleeding i didnt even feel that. given its not a deep cut at all but wow nice edge, i guess i need to figure out a better way to make sure im closing it safely.

-matt

Back