Two Basic 7s, Slightly Different Grinds

I am trying to choose between two new Basic 7s. Both are fresh from the shop, haven't been re-sharpened. They both seem equally sharp. Upon close inspection, one of them has a much more substantial grind on the left side than the other has. It is not quite equal to the grind on the right side of the blade, but much closer to what one would call "normal" edge geometry. Perhaps experienced Busse users can advise me on which knife they would select?

Thanks for your thoughts,

DPD.

A higher edge grind (assuming identical stock and primary grinds), means that the edge is ground at a more acute angle. This means the cutting ability with be higher and the edge durability lower.

Personally I would go with the more acute edge as odds are any edge profile you get will not be optimal for you anyway, and it is far easier to make an edge more obtuse than more acute.

-Cliff

Cliff,

I appreciate your advice very much. Your logic sounds compelling to me. Glad I could get one before they are gone!

Thanks again,

DPD.

If you were to compare seven of the same style Busse knives, you would find slight variations between them. These variations show the true semi-custom nature of a Busse.
Yours in nuclear variations,
Andrew Pinchen:cool:

Back