Two cool knives that have influenced me as a knifemaker.

Daniel Fairly Knives

Full Time Knifemaker
I grew up out in the country in Texas and we always had some cool knives to use for farm work and whatever else we had to do. I was thinking about a couple of the knives the other day and looked them up, it was kind of interesting.

The USMC Hospital Corps Bolo Knife was one we used a bunch. It is one of the coolest knives I have used, it was great for all kinds of chopping. From what I gather it was made from around 1912 until the 1960's. It has a rounded tip and many were chisel ground! :eek::cool:

Back in the 60's and 70's these were popular knives to modify, they are made of some kind of super steel that defies analysis according to some sources.

It was rumored that this knife was used for field amputations :eek: as it was a Hospital Corps Knife. Other sources say it was mostly used for clearing brush, digging holes, and other camp tasks. They are pretty big, 1/4" thick and almost 17" long.

Here is a link with a photo and some information.

http://www.valleymartialarts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=108&products_id=1613

On site link with photo. There were 2 manufacturers and this one looks more smoothed out or almost hand rubbed, the other one looks more crisp.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...944-USMC-large-Bolo-Knife-excellent-condition

Last edited:
Another cool one we had was the USAF Folding Survival Machete. This big folder sported a huge rounded tip blade perfect for chopping, digging, and just about whatever else you needed it for. It reminds me of the Hospital Corps Knife except that it is a fair bit lighter and a folder. We used this one a lot also.

I can't believe this was a 1940's design, to me they look very modern.

http://www.19thcenturyweapons.com/508/blades/usafknif.html

http://www.icollector.com/USAF-A1-folding-Machete-Imperial_i9277596

These are too cool, everyone needs a folding machete!

Last edited:
Sorry I don't have any photos on this thread, the links have some cool ones. I saw one of the Bolo's last year at the flea market for only $80... I should have snagged it!

USMC Bolo
USMCCorpsmanParkerized.jpg

Folding Machete.
wwiiknife.jpg

A recent chopper.
002wg.jpg

Last edited:
That usmc bolo looks likt one hell of a sandwich knife!

I can really see your inspiration in your designs, good work.

-Xander

That usmc bolo looks likt one hell of a sandwich knife!

I can really see your inspiration in your designs, good work.

-Xander

Yeah I need another one, they rock.

Thanks! Take these designs and then mix them with inspiration from Phill Hartsfield and a few other makers along with my own odd ideas and Bam.. DF Knives.

This one looks like something that might come out of your shop :)

The LC-14B
wwii-us-woodmans-pal-knife-rare-pat-appl-for-mark_130501162873.jpg

That's actually a Woodman's Pal, a modern incarnation of the military issue LC-14-B Survival Tool. It was first produced in WWII, and was used a lot all the way up until the Vietnam war era. The original ones included cord, a sharpening stone, magnifying glass for firestarting, and fish hooks all in the canvas sheath/pouch. Old-school jungle gear baby !

That's actually a Woodman's Pal, a modern incarnation of the military issue LC-14-B Survival Tool. It was first produced in WWII, and was used a lot all the way up until the Vietnam war era. The original ones included cord, a sharpening stone, magnifying glass for firestarting, and fish hooks all in the canvas sheath/pouch. Old-school jungle gear baby !

Oh yeah, I remember reading about one recently, funny I confused it with a Beet knife... Wayne Goddard has a photo of one that looks a lot like the Woodsmans Pal, but he said it was for beets, lol. Thay are cool! I like how they come with a kit, I have always hought about incorporating something like that into a sheath or handle.

This is a beet knife, or topping knife as some call it around here.

d_30749.jpg

-Xander

You can see my confusion... lmao.

I need a sugar cane harvesting machete, they are pretty cool. I couldn't find a good photo online but they are about 3 feet long with a huge bulbous blade tip and a hook. I have never seen one in the States but they are common in the Caribbean.

You can see my confusion... lmao.

I need a sugar cane harvesting machete, they are pretty cool. I couldn't find a good photo online but they are about 3 feet long with a huge bulbous blade tip and a hook. I have never seen one in the States but they are common in the Caribbean.
I bet you could make one;)

Back