Two more WIP to share

Here are a couple more in progress. The dagger is a design concept I am exploring. I seem to be doing a lot of daggers recently. I must like them. The hybrid blade is just something I felt like doing for a bit of fun. I had the blank laying around for a while and finally just decided to get it moving. I am not all about small blades. While these aren't monsters, they are bigger than the normal range I usually stay within. The dagger is a hair under 6" blade and the hybrid blade is a 7.5" blade. Both are from D2. The dagger will stay pretty much as is while I evaluate it. The hybrid blade I am deciding on the finish, maybe a DLC. I am going to bead blast the handle and add the lanyard hole.

Both of the points on these knives are quite aggressive. Even though the dagger doesn't appear to have a narrow taper. They both move well and as you would expect, the hybrid blade is balanced to be more of a chopper.

What do you guys think?

Should the hybrid blade get more consideration than a 1 off?

DSCN0948.jpg

DSCN0951.jpg

Woah, the dagger looks like what I'd imagine a Pinkerton sgian dubh would look like. I like the hybrid enough to want a more pocket sized blade version of it, say 8 inch overall with 4 inch blade and 4 inch handle. All in all, very impressive.

Hark, you pretty much nailed what I was thinking with the dagger. After I live with it for a while I was going to make two more with the needed changes, One would be a dagger and one would be a more classic single edge Scottish dirk.

If I downsize the hybrid blade, I will need to make some adjustments. RJ Martin's Rampage is this blade shape in a smaller package.

If I downsize the hybrid blade, I will need to make some adjustments. RJ Martin's Rampage is this blade shape in a smaller package.
I had a feeling this is where you got influence from. The blade shape made me think of Martin's from the start. His shortest is 8.8 inches though. I actually prefer 7.5 to 8 inches for comfortable fixed blade carry.

When are you gonna start making folders?

When are you gonna start making folders?

Folders are coming. I am working out the final details on my first custom. I am shooting for a prototype for Blade. Nothing crazy, just a straight forward frame lock.

I'd love to do a frame lock but being that I only have a Dremel, a HF drill press, and a 1x42 belt grinder, a fruction folder and balisongs are my current offerings.

the hybrid would make a great folder. 3.5in ish blade. but I am looking forward to seeing your folders.

Thanks everyone! I guess I will have to take a hard look at the hybrid blade and see about adding it to the line up. If not as a fixed blade, then as a folder. I already have a rough idea for one that should be different.

Back