Two new tiny ants in the family

Hi everybody,

I finally did it and got me an Izula, or I should say two, one desert tan for me and one pink for my girlfriend, both with micarta scales.

She just loves it, and now there is something useful in her purse :)

Instead of posting pics of the new babies, I thought it would be better to post a pic of a real Izula. I met this (not so) tiny critter in the rain forest of Ecuador, near Misahualli. For size comparison, the finger on the picture is my girlfriend's index.

77538138_23fa28c2b3_b.jpg

Man that's a big friggin ant! reminds me of one of my favorite short stories, Leiningen Versus the Ants

Remind me to wear my biggest stomping boots if I'm ever in the parts of the world with ants THAT big :D

Geez... no wonder you guys had to make the Izula bigger. I'd want to have at least my 5 to deal with that sucker :eek:

Imagine that ant crawlin' up yer shorts :(

Holy crap! That's one hell of an ant. I'd hate to stumble across one of their nests. BTW, terrific pic of that ant.

I met this ant at night, when we decided to have a walk around our lodge (yeah, I know, easy survival :)), and it was something between 1 inch and a half and 2 inches long.

It was the biggest ant I had ever see, so I told my girlfriend to put her finger on the picture, to be able to see the size of the beast. It was not aggressive, but it was clearly interested in this little meaty thing. If we knew it was a bullet ant at that time, I don't think any of us would have put a finger so close of it !

By the way, this is the place where we spend two days and a night : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agaI0ISoAqA

Unforgettable trip, and I miss this forest, even if I hated the weather :)

Back