Two of my kitchen knives appear to have different bevels each side?

I would rate my freehand sharpening skills as pretty advanced, I can hold and maintain a nearly perfect angle without a guide, and most of my knives look pretty uniform after sharpening. Two of my kitchen knives out of a set, the chefs knife and the asian cook's knife appear to have two different bevels, even trying to reset the edge in a pull through carbide sharpener (20 degree angle setting) does not solve the problem. the left side of the bevel has a much wider face. What could be causing this? Is it possible the primary bevels have different angles and this is why the secondary cutting bevels appear so different?

Who makes them? Some Japanese company's put asymmetrical geometry on purpose to tent to right or left handed people. However I think you may have answered your own question in being that the primary is not even.

When you say asian, I'm assuming not japanese. Cheap Chinese chef knives have sloppy bevels, even some lower end japanese knives ($100 or so) have sloppy bevels.

Good japanese knives have even bevels, but sometimes they give you a 60/40 bevel or 70/30 bevel, usually 50/50, but the edge would be perfectly centered.

You could try evening the bevel on a nice japanese knife, but will offset the edge.

Some knives are a 50/50 edge some 90/10 others 70/30. Depending on the make of the knife though I'd put my money on just a bad hand grinding .

If the knife is sold as a 50/50 edge it's just sloppy sharpening from the factory . Few ways to correct it

1 is find the shallowest angle and sharpen the while knife at that angle . You can do it in one setting or you can just do more strokes at a shallower angle on the side with the highest bevel angle and it would eventually work itself out .

I just bought a knife and one side the heel was about 25 30 degrees and the tip about 15 ,other side the heel was about 20 and the tip about 30 . I took both bevels down to about 15 degrees.

Who makes them? Some Japanese company's put asymmetrical geometry on purpose to tent to right or left handed people. However I think you may have answered your own question in being that the primary is not even.

Hampton forge. They're cheap. Would it affect the cutting if the edges/grind aren't perfectly symmetrical? I'd rather not waste time on cheap kitchen knives my family is going to just beat up anyways if it isn't necessary.

I've sharpened for money for years and it is amazing how varied bevel and edge geometry is. This is true even on expensive knives.

Was at dads friends house and their kitchen knife set was over half a grand made in Japan. I'd say a 20/80 bevel grind but it was perfectly matching on all of them as if it were made like that. Pretty sure some are actually made to have different on each side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am familiar with Hampton Forge. They are definitely cheap kitchen knives. The uneven bevels are not on purpose.

Easy to sharpen, though. I used a Norton Coarse/Fine India stone to resurrect a dull and chipped Hampton Forge chef's knife for my nephew. You should be able to sharpen out that bad grind on any inexpensive SiC stone or AlOx stone.

Back