1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Two out of three knives received today

Discussion in 'Schrade Knives Collectors Forum' started by timsclips, Apr 21, 2008.

1. timsclips

timsclips

Nov 27, 2007
    Last week I won a couple of auctions for some Schrade knives, two were for LB-7s, lightly used Old Timer and Uncle Henry models, and one scrimshaw SC-503, also used but a pattern that I had been looking for. Today three packages showed up by USPS, one had a hole in it and stamped contents missing by the USPS. The LB-7s showed up no problem, nicely packaged for what was charged by the sellers. The SC-503 was missing. It was shipped in a 65cent padded envelope with $1.49 postage and the shipper charged $5.50 to ship. There was no insurance offered, although I probably would not have took insurance at the cost of the knife was small, $10.00.
    Am I wrong to be upset that the seller would overcharge by charging twice what it cost in material and shipping to send the package and then do a poor job of packaging?
    :mad:

2. Trent Rock

Trent Rock

Jun 29, 2007
    Was the $5.50 clearly stated in the ad??
    I get people complaining all the time about shipping (I guess they complain by leaving me 1 "star" rating for shipping costs)
    I don't really know why they complain when the shipping charges are clearly stated in the ad
    I figure the 3 bucks extra is for his time waiting in line at the post office and packing supplies

Having it poorly packed with holes in the box is a different story
    I guess you can leave him a 1 star rating for shipping charges and tell him to pack his stuff better next time

There is a thread on BF somewhere about EBAY knife shipping nightmares.........

3. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    I have had two knives go missing in those padded envelopes!! Fortunately, I had paid for insurance, and got my money back. Hard objects, i.e. knives, get "squeezed" out easily. I tried it with my fingers. I was able to twist the package a bit, and push a knife right through the side!! Now I actually ask for boxes!

4. lrv

lrv

Sep 14, 2003
  5. El Lobo

El Lobo

Sep 6, 2002
    Just for some of the newer folks,

The "Video" boxes are what I use for Priority Mailing. The smaller one will accommodate several knives and may still be under a pound. The slightly larger one will handle something like a Knife/Collector's Tin. These aren't Flat Rate, but rather $4.60 if under one pound, and a bit more if over. And I always get the $.65 Delivery Conformation, which you can track online.

It's a shame about losing a knife from an envelope. :grumpy:

Bill

6. thawk

thawk

Oct 28, 2006
    Good tip Larry. Those are the priority boxes and if it is a decent knife, its worth paying the $5.25 to ship them with delivery confirmation. I pick the boxes and those green delivery confirmation stickers up by the stack at my local PO. When I ship I tape up all the seams and that pull strip thing so a quick entry would not be too inviting. I've even had people mail me a knife loose in a nonpadded envelope. :thumbdn:

7. Mountainwind

Mountainwind

Mar 13, 2006
    I really hate it when a mint condition box, is sent in an envelope. I always arrives in a flattened condition.

8. 6.0stroker

6.0stroker Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 21, 2008
    :confused:Is it just lazy or maybe ignorance? I have made 4 purchases on that auction place:Drecently 1 came in the padded envelope:thumbdn:but at least knife was wrapped in bubble wrap :rolleyes:,2 in the tyveck envelope w/paper and the smashed box:thumbdn: (and new knife Thankfully not damaged),3 double posterboard envelope :thumbdn:no damage but poor way to ship IMHOand, 4 in the cardboard box and packed well:thumbup:.!? 1 out of three ain't bad :eek: will people ever learn:jerkit: always always if offered get the insurance and ask if its not why!!! thats my .02 worth!

9. Roger999

Roger999

Mar 22, 2008
    I've had that happen when i bought on ebay last time, the knives fell open while transporting and the seller resent the knives :).

10. timsclips

timsclips

Nov 27, 2007
    I never had an issue with the stated shipping charge of $5.50 that was stated in the auction. I do believe that when you are charging twice what postage and container is costing you, you do have an obligation to package well.
    I sold gun magazines for nearly ten years, mostly pistol magazines about the same size as a pocket knife but maybe less in weight. While I was selling them I charged a flat $5 fee, always shipped priority with tracking or insurance. I was getting about a dollar over actual cost of shipping for handling. Sold about 300+ magazines without having one get lost in the mail.