Two Questions

When you guys tighten your pivot screw on your sebenza does the action tighten? When You loosen the screw does the action loosen? On my sebenza I can tighten the screw real tight without having the action tighten up, or even change. In fact I can put my sebenza toghether and then remove the pivot screw and the action will not be affected. I've talked to a couple people and theirs tightened up when they tightened it. Maybe there was a change done? My sebenza was made in '97.

Also, two people I've talked to said their clips were very rough and ruins their pants. But I can't imagine my clip being smoother. They said the bead blasted surface was rough, but mine is smooth as can be. How about your sebenzas?

------------------
Johnny
<FONT COLOR=#ff0000>[</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff8000>]</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ffff00>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ff00>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ffff>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff00ff>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff0000>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff8000>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ffff00>[</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ff00>]</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ffff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff00ff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff0000>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff8000>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ffff00>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ff00>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ffff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff00ff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff0000>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff8000>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ffff00>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ff00>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ffff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff00ff>></FONT>

I just checked my small Seb, born in June of `97, and the relative tightness of the screws had no real noticable effect on the tightness or increased effort in the action of opening and closing it. The critical dimension seems to be the height of the pivot bushing relative to the "stack" height of the washers and blade as fitted between the scales. I, personally, have yet to see another knife built to such fine tolerance (despite what Benchmade's ad says), but I'm just starting to dabble increasingly int he high end and custom market.

As for the clip, I wear alot of Dockers and the occaisional suit, so I've pretty much "smoothed" every clip on every knife I own, rounding corners and smoothing the finish if necessary. Hell, I've got jeans that are 4-5 years old, carrying knives of some sort the whole time, and there's really no wear on the tops of my pockets. I guess it depends on the clip itself, but IIRC, I only smoothed the inner corners, or edges of my Sebenza clip, never smoothed the finish itself, and it's fine.

HTH.

------------------
Don LeHue

The pen is mightier than the sword...outside of arm's reach. Modify radius accordingly for rifle.

The tightness of the pivot screw has no effect on the action of either the old or new style models that I have, it only gets so tight then seats. If you loosen the screw completely the knife still holds together until you torque it.

I don’t use clips, so will decline to comment.

------------------
James Segura
San Francisco, CA

The Sebenza is designed so that all the screws should be comfortably tight. Tension of the screw makes no difference to the pivot. If the blade does not move smoothly, it is because it has not been assembled correctly or that one of the washers has been damaged. (We can fix these kinds of problems!) The Sebenza has always been made in this fashion and the pivot design is one of the vital contributors to the strength, smooth operation and integrity of the knife. Adjustable pivots are an excuse for workmanship.

Anne

Back