Two "specialized cutting instruments" in process

Brian.Evans

Registered Member
I dropped my carbide faced file guide and snapped one of the carbide pieces, so I had to pause the Dart EDC run while it's off at Bruce Bump's shop getting repaired. Hopefully it will be back tomorrow or Monday. However, I wanted to work on something productive, so I got these rough ground and ready for heat treat. I usually make EDC and general purpose fixed blades, but I wanted to try a couple that were a bit more specialized.

First is about an 8 1/2" chefs knife. 3/32" 52100, right under 2" at the heel. I'm going to be making six more of this pattern once the Dart EDC run is finished, three in 52100 and three in AEB-L.

0520151123.jpg

This is a project I've been working on for quite some time. I partnered with a guy over on Straight Razor Place forum three or four years ago to help me design a straight razor and convert to CAD. This is my first attempt at grinding one of the blanks. I have round nose, square nose, and square nose with a barber's notch patterns ready to be cut. This was ground on a 2" wheel, hopefully I can grind the next one on a 6" or 8" wheel. 0.220" thick A2, 0.850" from spine to edge. Should be right in that 16ish degree inclusive edge angle. The next ones will be in AEB-L or 52100.

0520151123a.jpg

Razors and kitchen knives are completely different than regular fixed blades. Even if these don't turn out I'm going to keep plugging along. I've really enjoyed pushing my limits as a maker by trying these.

Back