Two years (and counting) with the BM705S Mini-Axis...

Professor

Gold Member
Two Years with the Benchmade 705S Mini Axis Lock (and Counting)...

(Warning: This is long and drawn out, and may be even a little narcissistic at times, and I apologize in advance, especially to any non-Benchmade fans who might be reading.)

Tomorrow, the first day of May of 2001, marks the second anniversary of my discovery and everyday toting of the Benchmade 705S (partially serrated) mini McHenry and Williams Axis Lock folder. While two years (and counting) of consistent pocket carry of the folder may only realistically be a tick of the clock to many folder carriers, to many others (myself included), it’s an eternity of dedication to one in a sea of knives.

I got my pre-production Benchmade 705S in May 1999 in just enough time for it and its larger brother to accompany me for two weeks’ travel through Europe. I literally received it a day before the trip. I knew when I ordered it (sight unseen) that it was going to be the knife for me. I loved and carried the 710 frequently, though I really wanted something smaller with G10 scales and the Axis mechanism and something that could in the worst case scenario be used as last-defense self-defense. The knife fit the bill perfectly. I’ve got smaller hands, and found the little knife to be absolutely perfect for Jim Keating’s Reverse Grip mode. Though drawpoint with the knife is not going to happen, it can be drawn, opened, and re-gripped faster than anything I’ve tried that doesn’t shoot out the front with a mid-handle-located firing button and a concealex small-of-back sheath (like I’ve heard MT CTII’s do).

The little knife (and its brother) have pulled double duty in Rome, Venice, Florence, Assissi, Italy; Zurick and Interlocken, Switzerland; and Grand Cayman Isle on two occasions. The 705S has been along when snorkeling and diving, flying domestically (actually did it by accident; I prefer to put all bladeware in checked baggage to be on the safe-side), and has cleaned two bucks and one doe in one week, homefront-wise.

The 705S is often employed in the kitchen when my Heckels paring or boning knives are dull and there’s schmeg to be cleaned from chicken about to go in a casserole, etc. or for removal of the long layer of fat on the outside of a pork tenderloin. It’s the one knife that I know will be sharp and up to any reasonable challenge.

On a daily basis, the 705S accompanies me into ugly corners of my city and state, usually accompanied by something larger or that goes “pow,” but the 705S would be there even if something else were not. It is my primary LPU (Life Preservation Unit), and honestly, I’ve got about as much chance of losing or misplacing it permanently as a recent President did of not actually inhaling. It’s not going to happen. There was an instance at a large outdoor birthday party where I accidentally dropped my 705S off a dock into a nasty, stagnant pond. Not to worry, I went in after it with my shoes off until I felt it and retrieved it with my feet. The endeavor generated fits of laughter, though having my knife back drowned it out considerably. While unconfirmed, there may have been beers involved.

My collection grows now on a monthly basis, and I’ve developed a liking for Microtech’s as secondary carry pieces. On one occasion I considered giving up the 705S for daily carry due to having discovered the beauty that is the Chris Reeve small Sebenza. The jury was actually out a while on that one. I carried both for a month simultaneously and it boiled down to preference for the 705S because of it’s ease (for me) and speed of opening and closing, locking mechanism that defies the very nature of folder locks (though the Sebenza operates on essentially the same principle), as well as a single event that was the prime determiner. I dropped my 705S on my brick steps while changing the bulb in an exterior lighting fixture. After a small stream of obscenities, I finally got the gumption to pick it up and examine it. There was a miniscule amount of white dust on the G10 that I rubbed away with my thumb to discover that there was nothing at all left in its wake. No scratches, nothing. I then realized that similar circumstances with the small Sebenza would not be as pretty, as pocket carry alone had begun to wear a beautiful “patina,” as the Sebenzanistas like to call it, over the once solid gray surface. To date, the small Sebenza is that only knife I’ve owned of many productions and customs alike that made me consider giving up the 705S for daily carry, and I’m here to tell you, there have been a lot of innovative folders and small fixed blades introduced in the past two years. I’ll never say a bad word about the small Sebenza; it is simplicity in its most elaborate form, and a model of precision that others (custom makers and production companies alike) can only aspire to (in my opinion, of course).

My 705S has undergone a few customizations in its short lifespan. I replaced the stock Nylatron washers with phosporus bronze washers, giving it nominal improvement of smoothness-of-action, but significantly improved lateral integrity. I spoke with Allen Elishewitz on the matter recently, and he agreed that bronze is a more rigid washer material, but not necessarily better than Nylatron or Teflon by any means. He went on to say that not too long ago, he made the switch from bronze to Teflon washers. We agreed that every unique application is going to have its better washer material, and in my humble opinion, with a smaller washer as with the BM705, 940, 770, etc., bronze washers decrease your side-to-side blade play greatly.

My 705S has also gone through a myriad of spacer materials. The first was the G10 spacer that many prepro’s tend to have, followed by stainless standoffs (ala REKAT), followed by a Delrin spacer, and now I’m back to a G10 spacer that I cut, shaped, and fitted myself. Overall, I am continually amazed by the durability of G10 as a handle and spacer material. My present-day 705S locks up tighter than it originally did, with the locking bar at the same point it was along the blade tang two years ago and no noticeable wear on the stop pin despite two years of addiction-flicking. Performance-wise, the 705 is one of the sharpest knives I own via the Spydie Triangle stone system.

Well, I hope you’re not sleeping as a result of my long ode to the 705S; I don't even have the ability to post some pics! I just could not let two years pass without advocating the little knife for everyday carry for those who might be considering it. The Benchmade Axis-locking series of knives is ever-evolving, and now they’ve even got 710 trainers with exacting features yet dulled blades that, at someone else’s suggestion, I am teaching my daughter to open and close with caution. Thank you, and good night.

Professor.

I've had my 710 for almost as long. The best production knife there is, if you ask me. It's only become better with age.

I have a 770 to keep it company now, for when a 4" folder isn't really appreciated.

------------------
Man, I hate smileys.

Professor, I enjoyed your post. The last knife I felt that way about was my mini AFCK, which I carried daily for about 3 years. Take Care...Ed.

I'll post the same thing I did over in Benchmade's forum:

------

Very cool. Mine just past it's one-year birthday earlier this month. It was love at first sight. In all the pictures on Benchmade's site, I just passed it over: 'why would I want that?!' But then I was at a show, and was looking through the Benchmades on a dealer's table. I fell in love. If he wanted to charge me full retail, I would still have left with that knife in my pocket. Luckily, I had recently won a 856 in a contest by Cumberland Knives. That and a little bit of cash made the 705 mine.

Any other knife, I may or may not have on me. But I always have that 705 on me. I think the only things that would have a chance of displacing it would either be an Axis by McHenry or Williams, or maybe a Ralph Small Apogee with an Axis lock, if it ever gets licensed to other makers.

Still, I'd probably find a place to carry the 705. Just couldn't turn my back on a friend, like that.

--JB

P.S., I wonder if it get's a big head about being carried opposite knives which cost several times what it retails for? It must feel pretty good to be thought their equal.

------------------
e_utopia@hotmail.com

I didn't think your post was too long at all. That's quite a tribute to the 705 if you chose it over a Sebenza! Sounds like you have a good one.

Well done, Professor. You are too modest. Thank you for the insights and the polished prose.

-w

Thank you gentlemen
smile.gif

It really is a workhorse of a little knife. I wouldn't trade it for the world. It is doing very well to stand the test of time and use, and hopefully I'll get a picture of it posted one of these days. I no doubt have the same admiration for it that Sebenza owners have for their lovelies.

Professor.

Totally agree Professor!
Have had my 705Black S for two years now- it's my most frequent carry knife, and fits perfectly in my jeans pocket...no problems with the springs and solid lock-up. Just clean it now and then and spray a little Rem Oil into the spring area, pretty low maintenance.

Nice review... I like the BM 710 a bit better (the 705 was too small for me).

I am hoping to convince my friend to make me a replacement blade from talonite for my 710
wink.gif
. That would be an ultimate folder IMO.

David

------------------
DIVERTI NESCIO

---------------
My Photopoint pictures

Mikov Knives

I was touched by that review. I frequently play with both the 710 and 705 at the shop I work at. I too feel the 710 is one of if not the best production folder on the market. I am starting to have a love affair with my new 550 Griptilian. Let's see if it lasts 2 years though.

Prof--your tale gladdens me. I have the feeling that every time I hike past a stretch of scummy water I'll think of you groping the bottom barefoot while successfully retrieving your knife.

Yeah, I'll always remember that pond fondly. It was nice of the pond to give up my knife, I reckon. Forgot to mention the smell... It wasn't a pretty ride home.

biggrin.gif

Professor.

Back