Type of steel used for wrenches?

Just quenched a few more wrench knives, one of which was made from a 3/4" 31Crv3 Tool Shed wrench with under .35% carbon. Here is a quick clip of a Nicholson file on it a few minutes after the dunk in peanut oil. Would my guess at 56-58 rc be correct?
I am wondering if the longer soak I did this time allowed some extra carbon to work its way into the steel. The spine is only about .130"-.140" thick with the 2 edges being at about .030", so even if the carbon only soaked in 1 mm deep, that would be almost the whole blade. Most of these knives I have done in the past did just fine, but the last 2 where I did a very minimal soak, were the ones that seemed super soft and caused me to question the steel(s).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma-j5mD3Epg

Could you use a product like Kasenit or Cherry Red to add carbon? At reduced edge thicknesses the case depth would likely be the entire blade thickness. I've surface hardened 1018 plates for various tooling using those products and it's relatively easy to get above 60 RC.

I have been doing a little research and a product like Kasenit may be designed to only harden a specific, uniform depth into the steel. I think packing it in boneash and/or charcoal and letting it cook for about 30+ minutes will do the trick.

Back