Types of knives and their uses?

These are butter knives. They're used to spread butter.

4Butter01.jpg

Are these made by Benchmade :D:D:D

I know there's specific reasons to varying designs, grinds, materials, etc, but I don't really care what something is designed for. A knife is a tool. As long as it can handle the daily jobs I need of one, I don't give a rip what it was "made to do". I'm going to use it for whatever I need at the time I've got it on me. Like building a fire; I use my SK5 recon tanto to baton, feather, strike rods, cut apples, stab random things when I'm bored, cut paper to remind myself it can, shave hair on my leg because "what's the leg of a knife collector if it isn't missing patches of hair?", etc...

I bought the tanto because I just love the look of tanto blades, always have, but I'm pretty sure it was designed for one thing... Fighting and self defense. Nothing but Cool factor, for me, but it does just as well at these tasks as my Terava Jääkäripuukko and my old Coast Bowie. Heck, even my CRKT Onion Skinner gets abused like this, but I don't hunt. I don't need to skin anything, I just like a knife with a huge belly to it. They cut tomatoes and paper like a dream!

So the purpose? Pfft. What's that? My knives are all hammers and nails, pry bars and food prepers, and so the list goes on. If one can't handle the tasks, I give it to friends or family and move on, because they aren't worth my time, as my time is utterly invaluable.

Okay thanks guys. Yes, my legs have lots of missing patches of hair too.

But can someone tell me why the curve of a Katana and the curve of a kukri help them do their job? I really want to know WHY these weapons are good at what they do.

Thanks,

Bo

Because they move the center of moving mass further toward the front of the blade, increasing momentum, inertia, and leverage. In addition, the curved edges tend to lessen rolling of the material being cut, as can happen with a long straight edge. Also, in a draw cut, the curve of the Kukri pulls material into the edge, increasing the depth of the cut.

Curves , waves , and serrations all also increase the surface area or effective length of blade in the cut .

Okay right on guys.
Does the fact that a smaller surface area caused by the curve babe anything to do with it? That should cause more friction. I didn't see that anywhere. Maybe I missed it.
That article on curved blades is really cool. I'm going to check out the link about the science of it later.

Thanks,

Bo

Back