U.S. purchased Benchmade International warranty?

I have been twisting and turning between picking up a Bugout or a Para 3. I am leaning towards the Bugout because of all the positive warranty, replacement blade, repair reviews.

But most reviewers are based in the U.S. Anyone (that bought their Benchmade from a U.S. online retailer) ever had to do a warranty replacement, repair or purchased a replacement in countries other than America?

Did you need to ship it to Benchmade USA, and pay for the return shipping cost? Can I take the knife to a local authorised Benchmade re-seller in Australia and do any of the above? I would appreciate hearing your experience with Benchmade (and Spyderco and Hogue) warranty.

I'm in Canada, so YMMV. We have a problem with our border guards who will confiscate (read steal) totally legal knives on re-entry back into the country. So sending into the US for warranty is not recommended (Benchmade has hinted that they don't recommend it either).

However, I have had screws, clips and Omega springs sent out to me, and I would think that they would also do that for you lads "down under". If your border guards aren't thieves like ours, then you can send in a knife for warranty but if you can do the repairs yourself, that would be what I recommend.

Oh, and I would be surprised (if you go with Spyderco) that Spyderco would send anything out but I have not needed any of their warranty yet so again YMMV.

I'm in Canada, so YMMV. We have a problem with our border guards who will confiscate (read steal) totally legal knives on re-entry back into the country. So sending into the US for warranty is not recommended (Benchmade has hinted that they don't recommend it either).

However, I have had screws, clips and Omega springs sent out to me, and I would think that they would also do that for you lads "down under". If your border guards aren't thieves like ours, then you can send in a knife for warranty but if you can do the repairs yourself, that would be what I recommend.

Oh, and I would be surprised (if you go with Spyderco) that Spyderco would send anything out but I have not needed any of their warranty yet so again YMMV.
Spyderco doesn't ship out internal parts. Fellow Canadian here, I had a warranty issue and they refused to ship me the parts. The knife sat in my drawer for over a year until I found replacement parts on the secondary market. Benchmade seems to more accommodating as they will ship some small items like pocket clips and omega springs to your door, however I have my doubts they'd ship an entire blade replacement to you.

I bought a "well used" 580 from a guy at work for peanuts. I intended to send the knife to BM for a blade replacement that would have been a total cost of less than a hundred Canadian pesos for a virtually brand new Barrage. Benchmade talked me out of it, and they said that "it isn't their policy to send out blades". Now interestingly, she didn't say that they WOULDN'T send out a blade but did give me the idea that they wouldn't. However, I have heard unsubstantiated rumours, on the dark web, that sometimes they may, so again YMMV. Maybe promise flowers?

We have a problem with our border guards who will confiscate (read steal) totally legal knives on re-entry .. If your border guards aren't thieves like ours

I haven't had an experience (touch wood). But a lot of people said they do confiscate whenever they "just feel like it", even if those things are legal and sold in the country. So I guess they're kind of similar to thieves and thugs.. just criminals on the government payroll.

I had a warranty issue and they refused to ship me the parts. The knife sat in my drawer for over a year. Benchmade seems to more accommodating as they will ship some small items like pocket clips and omega springs to your door, however I have my doubts they'd ship an entire blade replacement to you.

What was the problem with your Spyderco if you don't mind sharing the detail? That's too bad about the blade relacement with Benchmade. The price of the Bugout here is $184 USD for the base model (S30V), and $180 USD for the Mini Bugout.

I don't know if the extra $70 on top of what you gents are paying over there worth it for the warranty of a Bugout. It's nearly double the price.

My take on it is this: most reputable brand knives, you will likely never need the warranty. The parts that normally wear on a Benchmade are (at least for now) sent out to you for replacement at no additional charge. As far as their pricing goes, my 940 is only 20 bucks more than my PM2. I like my 940 better.

KAI also will send out replacement parts, not sure about blades though. Spyderco? Well hopefully you will never need to get it fixed.

The reasons Spyderco does not usually send out internal parts is, first, fraud, second, they have CQI so their models are constantly evolving to get better. Often times parts from one iteration will not fit the newer or older one. They cannot tell without the knife in hand. From Australia, you should have no problems, anyway.

I have used BM's warranty, once. They balked at fixing my knife in a timely manner, but I explained I was moving out of the country in two weeks and they fixed it and turned it around and got it to me just in time. However, I know some horror stories, too.

I have not had to send a knife in to Spyderco, but I have one I will send when I get enough dinero saved up. The owner is very involved with us and this small issue will get fixed without an issue.

The Bugout you mention is very light, but the handle has a huge amount of flex, so if a hard cut requires any torque, it won't do it well. The Spyderco is heavier, and the blade stock is thicker, but even so, it will still out slice the BM. it will take some serious use.

South African here. I’ve been buying Benchmades and Spydercos for close on 20 years and have never required warrantee repairs. Quite honestly as an international buyer I’m not sure the warrantee is actually worth anything as the backwards and forwards shipping costs half way around the world, time involved and possible drama with customs is just not worth it. It is highly unlikely the local agents will be able to do repairs.

Both companies make excellent product, buy whatever you like most and don’t be scared to use it (I didn’t say abuse).

My take on it is this: most reputable brand knives, you will likely never need the warranty.

I have never had to make a warranty claim on a Benchmade knife, and I've had a few. Spyderco, on the other hand, has sold me knives with mechanical defects that effected function and safety. I found their response to my requests to be, shall we say, suboptimal. I haven't bought a Spyderco in years as a result of their customer service.

Reactions: DMG
I'm a Canadian and I've sent a few knives South to Sypderco for adjustment. Both as a result of me; not of any inherent defect or flaw in the knife. One I got the lock rocking a bit and they fixed that. The other where I lost a clip screw. They sent me screws out twice but it was an older model that they didn't have parts for. Eventually I sent it back and they custom machined the right size of screw.

Never had one seized at the border either and Blade HQ is normally where I shop.

You could probably find a store in Australia to re-export it for service but that would be expensive. And at times if you were were a customer who'd been with the store for years and actually bought hundreds of knives there they would tend to bend their rules for you.

If you're someone who bought a used knife on ebay and want to swap it in store for a new one it won't happen. I know that sounds ludicrous but it's not outside of some folks entitlement.

The nice thing about knives is that if you do have to send one away it's pretty easy to find another one to use in the meantime.

I
Never had one seized at the border either and Blade HQ is normally where I shop..

I wish I held your optimism, but unfortunately, I can't afford to play russian roulette with the CBSA. Besides, they have enough free knives already.

Maybe our friends in Ozzyland have saner public servants manning (ladying?) their borders but the shipping cost would still be quite dear I should think.

The reasons Spyderco does not usually send out internal parts is, first, fraud, second, they have CQI so their models are constantly evolving to get better. Often times parts from one iteration will not fit the newer or older one. They cannot tell without the knife in hand. From Australia, you should have no problems, anyway.

I have used BM's warranty, once. They balked at fixing my knife in a timely manner, but I explained I was moving out of the country in two weeks and they fixed it and turned it around and got it to me just in time. However, I know some horror stories, too.

I have not had to send a knife in to Spyderco, but I have one I will send when I get enough dinero saved up. The owner is very involved with us and this small issue will get fixed without an issue.

The Bugout you mention is very light, but the handle has a huge amount of flex, so if a hard cut requires any torque, it won't do it well. The Spyderco is heavier, and the blade stock is thicker, but even so, it will still out slice the BM. it will take some serious use.

You should see the videos of people abusing Bugouts.

Here is one:

Last edited:
I have been twisting and turning between picking up a Bugout or a Para 3. I am leaning towards the Bugout because of all the positive warranty, replacement blade, repair reviews.

But most reviewers are based in the U.S. Anyone (that bought their Benchmade from a U.S. online retailer) ever had to do a warranty replacement, repair or purchased a replacement in countries other than America?

Did you need to ship it to Benchmade USA, and pay for the return shipping cost? Can I take the knife to a local authorised Benchmade re-seller in Australia and do any of the above? I would appreciate hearing your experience with Benchmade (and Spyderco and Hogue) warranty.
I'm in Malaysia and so far, has had no problems over the years with Benchmade sending me replacement parts free of charge/postage (they will only send parts like screws, clips, male pivots but not replacement blades though). Parts requests were sent by email, and used to take 2-4 weeks to arrive (at least double that nowadays due to the Covid delivery slowdowns, based on recent experience). Only had to mail in for a replacement blade once, some years back (broken 530 blade, my fault) when they charged a standard price of $30 for a satin blade. However it appears that as of the beginning of this year, the blade replacement cost will be based on at least 1/3 the original MSRP, so sending in for a re-blade may not longer be viable for international customers when return international postage is factored in.

I've had Spyderco send me replacement clip screws, and even a pocket clip (for my long discontinued Persian) free of charge too, a year or two ago.

Back