Udhaipur and Cheetlang

I discussed the question of the similarity between a civilian UDHAIPUR khukuri and a GH CHEETLANG khukuri with a friend, who suggested I put the question on Bladeforum and get the opinion of someone who has experience of both these khukuris.

The friend said from the pictures he has seen he believes that I am correct in my assessment of the similarities of these two
blades. He suspects that they are essentially equivalent.

There are probably a few people who own one of each, and they may be able to give us a more informed opinion. We will be grateful to those who can come in here with their opinions!

Johan, nice to see you here.
The differences in these two models, the cheetlang and the Udhaipur (which is the Gelbu Special) are, the basic designs of the blade and handle. The Main difference is the placement of the fullers; on the cheetlang they run along the spine like an Ang Khola, on the GS they run along the flats of the blade allowing the spine to retain it's full thickness. The handles are a chainpuri style for the cheetlang and the standard style for the GS. As I do not own both I'm not qualified to give a performance comparison of the two, so I'll leave that to those who are. I refer you to the Himalayan Imports site for more pictures of the Gelbu Special as that will probably help more than my answer
smile.gif
Just follow the links at the bottom of any post from Bill Martino.
Hope you find what you're looking for.

Much obliged to you, 778! Will do as you suggest. Until then , and while I'm waiting for some more comments, there is a picture concerning the cheetlang/udhaipur question that is slowly beginning to form in the back of my mind. I'm beginning to believe the udhaipur was the "original" design, born in the village of Udhaipur in SE Nepal. The Gelbu sp. evolved from the udhaipur (that has positively been established), and parallel with that, the cheetlang evolved, also from the udhaipur. I suppose there's sufficient difference between the three to justify separate nomenclature, but I reckon this is one style with three representatives, one being the "parent". Forumites, shoot me down in flames if I err, for correctness' sake!

Back