ultra low cost sword - ontario 22" ct5 machete 1075

for around $25 you can't beat the value of this 1075 beast it's almost 28" total length
fairly thick too, like 3mm

it's heavier than I expected, but still excellent... I'm going to mod it to get a longer handle on it. This works out really well, since about 4" above the handle is not sharpened.

the basic plan is to make it wak-i-like
has anyone else done this? or own the ontario ct5? share your thoughts please ; )

ct5-22-machete-8294-8291__32488.1517696567.jpg

Last edited:
:) I do love the idea of making it a two hander ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I want to see completed project pics . :p

well, here is a quick paintjob -> I'm thinking of doing an ironwood handle (not desert, but hophornbeam)
I don't want to lose the drop on the pommel, it makes for a great grip catcher

I may have to do a gentle taper on the section (black showing thru) of the grip.. or see if the wider grip is feasible - (it might work out if I keep the wood thinner in this section)... share any ideas you have?

anyway, it's really a great value - I'm surprized it's hardly ever mentioned on the forums
5SzLIFi3jlZt.jpg

I forgot to mention - it's only an 18" blade (sharpened)...
so the handle will be like 10"

I think it should be nice

Sounds like a fun project. Machetes are useful tools and in a pinch can certainly serve as a formidable weapon, but they are not swords. The geometry, balance, construction etc. are very different.

valid points - most machetes tend to be around 2.5mm at thickest, and generally taper down to 1.5mm or some even less

the ct5 is a solid 3mm the whole way - no taper & trust me, the weight and balance are definitely on the sword side

Back