Umnumzaan Tanto Blade Measurement

DRLyman

Gold Member
Odd request. Could someone with an Umnumzaan Tanto take a picture of the knife laying on it’s side with a tape measure or ruler above the knife starting at the tip of the blade for me, please?

This work?

ogW0X66.jpg

Is yours different?
I was hoping nobody would ask the reason for the request I made :( I will answer even though it is embarrassing. It does make CRK customer service look very good, though.

I have a KME sharpener. I've sharpened two Ti-Locks, and 3 Inkosis that I have. Also several Bucks, Benchmades, and Spydercos. Never had a problem and all turned out great. This darn tanto turned out really bad, though. I'm not touching that blade again with the KME. I'll just stick to touch-ups done with my Sharpmaker instead.
I tried sharpening the tanto with the KME and really screwed up the end of the blade. Tried fixing it and it just didn't look good to me. I sent the knife to CRK with a note asking them to replace the blade telling them it was my fault that it was screwed up and I'd pay the $135 (if I remember correctly) for it. They called and said they could fix it for free and do their spa treatment, but it would shorten the blade. I decided to go that route instead of replacing the blade.

The knife came back, finally. I love the tanto Zaan. It's my favorite of the CRKs that I own. I hated being without it. Blade is back to normal and sharper than it was when I received it the first time. All I had to do was pay for shipping. According to the measurement in the picture, I lost 1/8" of the blade. I am happy with that. Lesson learned, and I won't make that mistake again :)

The only person who is missing the 1/8 an inch is you. Enjoy it; now it’s custom.

Life is short, enjoy.
I'm looking at it that way, too. I still love the knife. You wouldn't even notice it unless it was pointed out. I was surprised by the service from CRK. They could have easily just charged me for a new blade. Very happy with their service.

I always wondered how a regular zaan blade but the top of the tanto would look like. That might be something interesting.

I was hoping nobody would ask the reason for the request I made :( I will answer even though it is embarrassing. It does make CRK customer service look very good, though.

I have a KME sharpener. I've sharpened two Ti-Locks, and 3 Inkosis that I have. Also several Bucks, Benchmades, and Spydercos. Never had a problem and all turned out great. This darn tanto turned out really bad, though. I'm not touching that blade again with the KME. I'll just stick to touch-ups done with my Sharpmaker instead.
I tried sharpening the tanto with the KME and really screwed up the end of the blade. Tried fixing it and it just didn't look good to me. I sent the knife to CRK with a note asking them to replace the blade telling them it was my fault that it was screwed up and I'd pay the $135 (if I remember correctly) for it. They called and said they could fix it for free and do their spa treatment, but it would shorten the blade. I decided to go that route instead of replacing the blade.

The knife came back, finally. I love the tanto Zaan. It's my favorite of the CRKs that I own. I hated being without it. Blade is back to normal and sharper than it was when I received it the first time. All I had to do was pay for shipping. According to the measurement in the picture, I lost 1/8" of the blade. I am happy with that. Lesson learned, and I won't make that mistake again :)

It's more Yakuza style now. You know how they cut their pinkies off if they transgress the boss? Your Zaan cut off abit of its tip in a similar way.

One of my CRKs I have had no problem sharpening. Most knives I have no problem even if it takes long sometimes. The convex edge grind on CRKs seems to make them tricky to sharpen.

Don't be embarassed, we all make mistakes as we learn. None of us hasn't "sharpened" an edge into such oblivion it seems beyond repair. I would recommend practicing on some cheap tanto blade shapes first. How did you mess it up? Did you not sharpen the primary edge seperate from the tip edge?

It's more Yakuza style now. You know how they cut their pinkies off if they transgress the boss? Your Zaan cut off abit of its tip in a similar way.

One of my CRKs I have had no problem sharpening. Most knives I have no problem even if it takes long sometimes. The convex edge grind on CRKs seems to make them tricky to sharpen.

Don't be embarassed, we all make mistakes as we learn. None of us hasn't "sharpened" an edge into such oblivion it seems beyond repair. I would recommend practicing on some cheap tanto blade shapes first. How did you mess it up? Did you not sharpen the primary edge seperate from the tip edge?
I like the Yakuza analogy. Never would have thought of that. :)
Yeah, I should have tried some cheap tanto blades first. I think if trying on a KME you may have problems unless you just barely get the end of the tanto edge if possible. I’m not trying that again with the KME. I’ll just do touch ups with the Sharpmaker with this blade.
I ended up screwing up the rounded transition behind the tanto edge if you get what I mean. Looked pretty bad.
Back to normal now, though. Just a hair shorter and sharper than when I originally got it, so I’m happy.

Back