Umnumzaan's thumb studs came off

So I was using my Umnum off and on all yesterday and when I went to flick it open the last time, I noticed that the thumb stud was loose. I tried to tighten it, thinking it would screw in. That didn't work though.

Anyone have any ideas?
1MWYRzV.jpg

Send it back to CRK, they'll fix it. That's not suppose to happen and there's not much you can (or should) do to fix it yourself.

They changed this to a solid thumbstud several years ago for this very reason. Only way to remedy it long term is to send it in.

I believe the thumb studs are pressure fitted ... so +1 to send it to CRK they will fix you right up.

Hey! Your thumb studs fell out.

Send it in to be updated with a new stud. That sucks but it sounds like you have other knives.

Well, damn. I'm pretty bummed. It took a lot to get up the internal courage for me to start carrying and using a knife this expensive. I know things happen, but I always thought CRK represented the pinnacle of quality for a production company. I'm sure they'll fix it under warranty...

I do have other knives, luckily, but no other CRKs. Guess this is why you guys have multiples. :)

Thanks for the suggestions!

You can always use industrial strength epoxy . But I'd send it in personally.

I always thought CRK represented the pinnacle of quality for a production company.

Nothing is perfect but the expectation seems to cause more grief with CRK than any other brand. They make the most perfect and consistent knife on the market today. Full stop. I have customs in the $2-4k range which can get close, but not quite there. And those makers aren't producing in any sort of volume.

The most perfect and consistent knife on the market will still have flaws, there will be the odd thumb lug or cracked blade that needs to be addressed. And that's why there's a warranty.

I don't own multiple knives so I'm prepared when the thumb lugs fall off on one and it needs to go back to Idaho.

Nothing is perfect but the expectation seems to cause more grief with CRK than any other brand. They make the most perfect and consistent knife on the market today. Full stop. I have customs in the $2-4k range which can get close, but not quite there. And those makers aren't producing in any sort of volume.

The most perfect and consistent knife on the market will still have flaws, there will be the odd thumb lug or cracked blade that needs to be addressed. And that's why there's a warranty.

I don't own multiple knives so I'm prepared when the thumb lugs fall off on one and it needs to go back to Idaho.

Well said sir.

Didn't we just have a conversation about flicking CRK's?

Yes, and unfortunately in the case of the Umnum, the studs are the stop mechanism so they have the force applied each time. I can see that if the rings or alignment of them is not exact there will be unequal pressure and that could be what causes it to loosen to this point.

Solid thumb stud? That means a larger hole in the blade the same diameter as the stud. So... new blade for this one?

This is is a very fair point and I largely agree. Having said that, I also have knives that are cheaper and also have excellent fit and finish. Companies like WE, Microtech, and even ZT. I'm not saying they are at CRK's level of consistency, I'm saying that the ones that I have had hands on experience with have all been excellent. I also agree that all manufactured products will have imperfections. I in no way was trashing the company, I just said I was bummed. CRK is, appropriately so, held to a higher standard than most. They have won numerous quality awards from Blade and damn near every review of their products espouse the quality of CRK's products. Again, I would say that this reputation is well earned.

As I learned from you all though, the thumb studs were originally a flawed design. If they weren't, CRK would not have switched to a new design. I look forward to having the improved version.

Your perspective, however, is well taken.

Didn't we just have a conversation about flicking CRK's?

I saw the post on the flicking. It was specifically calling out the Sebenza and flipping as a pastime. There's a difference between flicking your knife open to use and flicking it open on the couch while watching the Expendables. I would also argue that the Umnum is built to be flicked open for use, but that would probably start another debate in which I have little interest.

Simply put, I used the knife as intended and it failed. I think CRK is an excellent company. I'm confident that they will rectify the situation and I still plan to buy a couple of others.

Solid thumb stud? That means a larger hole in the blade the same diameter as the stud. So... new blade for this one?

I'm also curious about this. I was assuming that they would just put in a new stud. Do you guys think it will be a new blade along with the new stud? I'm indifferent towards either approach, but it would be cool thing to know.

Turned out amazing. CRK fixed the thumb studs, reconditioned the knife, and even reimbursed me for the shipping cost. Amazing customer service.

This 100% will make me purchase another CRK. I'm thinking a large inkosi.
So they did not need to replace the blade? That's good

Turned out amazing. CRK fixed the thumb studs, reconditioned the knife, and even reimbursed me for the shipping cost. Amazing customer service.

This 100% will make me purchase another CRK. I'm thinking a large inkosi.
That's awesome service. And good choice, you will absolutely love the large inkosi, it's equal favourites with my Umnum, it's such a solid knife.

Back