Umnumzan Users - What are your experiences?

BMCGear

Gold Member
I have a CRK Umnumzan headed my way. I've always overlooked the Zan for the 21 or the Inkosi but I think that the handle is going to fit my hand really well. For those with an Zan what do you like about it? Post some pics if you don't mind. :)

You got me looking through my old pictures and I found this pitbull:

20150825%20IMG_5669.JPG

I've always wanted to love the Umnumzaan but my WC Sebenza 21 is in my pocket so often that the Umnum just never really has had a fair chance.

I don't think I even own this tanto any more but I've got a standard Lefty Umnumzaan in my pocket today and it's definitely a very capable knife with a lot going for it. I just have more of a "connection" with my old WC 21.

B

i like the quiet opening, the ergos and its a bit grippier with the cross hatches. I love the harpoon and blade grind in general.

I prefer the 21's with the bushing and the inkosi doesnt grab me too much but im really liking the zaan. something about it is just right

I've sold a bunch of mine but kept the Wilson Tactical Star Tac edition as part of that collection. It's an awesome blade that fits your hand like a 1911. The milling pattern (on all types) adds grip and gives the knife a tactical look. The 3-point lockup is really solid and most of the time the o-ring on the thumb stud/stop pins yields a quiet deployment. And contrary to many opinions, I really like the over-travel stop because it lets you handle it a bunch rougher or when using gloves to not over-extend the lock bar. The harpoon blade is cool and the Tanto version just looks wicked paired up with the scale milling.

You are going to love it. Excellent choice!

39516529722_3f81db00c7_b.jpg

39217491142_fd3ef957e4_b.jpg

31915644243_602eab1940_b.jpg

Do yourself a favor and give your thumb a vacation now & again for the first couple of weeks. ;)

I tried the 21 and 25 but they just were not quite what I was looking for, I appreciated the craftmanship and tight tolerances but those scales just tended to get a little slippery when wet :rolleyes: I never had one slip enough for it to be a safety issue but it was stuck in the back of my mind.

Then I bought this old Zaan off of the exchange and found my CRK, it just feels better to me with the crosshatch and different detent. Sometimes I wonder if I should have held out for one with the lockbar stabilizer but I am not generally too tough on my nicer knives so it has not been a problem and I really prefer the look of the old pivot.

23057831043_f2329127f6_b.jpg

23056736274_f26df6d2a1_b.jpg

It's one of my favorite knives. Just fits really well. Though my use tends to just be taking it out to cut up some cardboard just for the fun of it.

I love mine... if fact, I am celebrating my Zaan's fifth birthday today, as well as my second sons third birthday! Happy birthday to both, don't know what I'd do without you.

Can't really say anything more that hasn't been said already. For me, I enjoy the quietness of the knife. Here's another thread that you can enjoy until yours gets in your hand. You really won't know until you have it.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/umnumzaan-pics.1522075/

Thanks for the link.

I appreciate everyone's input. The Zan was never really on my radar but I think the handle shape my fit my hand really well.

The quietness harpoon and the texturing all do it for me, i prefer new pivot. blah blah blah op just buy one second hand and if you hate it no money lost

Well, as I said here in another thread, I got my wife a Small Sebenza and I was debating a CRK for myself. Thanks to this thread and the link provided above I'll definitely be getting the Tanto Umnumzaan.

Is that one brand new? An excellent choice I really dig mine. I have hunted one down that was manufactured on my birthday. Probably my most cherished knife of them all. The O-rings have worn off though, I'll need to replace them at some point.

Aw yeah, i really like it. Been using it for on duty use as im scared to loose my UG doing that and that one i cant replace. Only got the two knives for now.

The dampened opening is real distinct. Glad youre liking it

Back