Uncoated blade? Need a straight answer

Will Cold Steel ever make uncoated version of some existing popular models i.e. Recon 1, American Lawman, AK47, G10 Espada & etc. as regular production run?

This has been asked a lot over the year(s) and I honestly thought 2020 is gonna be the year. I cannot imagine how an uncoated version(satin or stonewash) could be more expensive to make than the DLC coated version, unless there's a concern of maintaining more product SKUs?

No obligations, but it'll be nice if CS could share whether it's planned or if we should stop expecting it. Thanks.

Last edited:
As far as the Recon goes, we have discussed making it uncoated however, we're not yet allowed to due to the exclusivity with Blades Canada. As far as other models, Lynn really enjoys the coated blades because of how much more tough it makes them in every regard. It has nothing to do with cost and everything to do with functionality. The amount of people that buy knives and don't maintenance them is staggering. There is a whole big world of consumers outside of Bladeforums that are not "into knives" and don't know how to clean and oil, etc. It's much more effective to have a coated blade and be more protected against rust and scratching. As always, we discuss these types of things regularly and weigh our options. Ultimately it is Lynn's decision and I have no idea what direction that will take going forward.

Will Cold Steel ever make uncoated version of some existing popular models i.e. Recon 1, American Lawman, AK47, G10 Espada & etc. as regular production run?

This has been asked a lot over the year(s) and I honestly thought 2020 is gonna be the year. I cannot imagine how an uncoated version(satin or stonewash) could be more expensive to make than the DLC coated version, unless there's a concern of maintaining more product SKUs?

No obligations, but it'll be nice if CS could share whether it's planned or if we should stop expecting it. Thanks.

Depending on the knife, Citristrip works pretty well in removing the black finish on most cold steel blades. One coat, wait 24 hours or so, use a razor to scrape off the finish, wash off with warm water and soap, use some metal polish. Depending on the knife, the ease of which you can remove the finish in one sitting may vary.

Depending on the knife, Citristrip works pretty well in removing the black finish on most cold steel blades. One coat, wait 24 hours or so, use a razor to scrape off the finish, wash off with warm water and soap, use some metal polish. Depending on the knife, the ease of which you can remove the finish in one sitting may vary.

I don't think that works on DLC which is the standard coating for CS folders. Older ones with Teflon coating sure.

I could understand coating on carbon steel / rust prone steels, but if you are sticking to stainless, then rust is a non issue. And I always thought that the looks of a well worked coated blade (coating wears off in some spots) is less appealing than scratches on a satin blade.

Is there a difference in the finish required on a blade to be coated VS a standar satin finish? Could it be cheaper in labour (grinding belts, time, etc.) to leave a rougher finish + coat than getting a decen satin finish?

I was right now looking at the Broken Skull just to see if there was a satin finish version... but there is none. For me coated blades scream tacticool... and I am not into that.

Mikel

Any update on these? I’ve been wanting a Recon Scout for quite a while, and I love A2 steel.

You guys will be the first to know when they're in stock. I do not have updates or timelines. Coronavirus issue is wreaking havoc on international trade.

Reactions: AF
As far as the Recon goes, we have discussed making it uncoated however, we're not yet allowed to due to the exclusivity with Blades Canada. As far as other models, Lynn really enjoys the coated blades because of how much more tough it makes them in every regard. It has nothing to do with cost and everything to do with functionality. The amount of people that buy knives and don't maintenance them is staggering. There is a whole big world of consumers outside of Bladeforums that are not "into knives" and don't know how to clean and oil, etc. It's much more effective to have a coated blade and be more protected against rust and scratching. As always, we discuss these types of things regularly and weigh our options. Ultimately it is Lynn's decision and I have no idea what direction that will take going forward.
Appreciate this explanation.
I believe an American Lawman with an uncoated blade would compete with the Spyderco PM2 as one of the best edc folders on the market for knife people.

Appreciate this explanation.
I believe an American Lawman with an uncoated blade would compete with the Spyderco PM2 as one of the best edc folders on the market for knife people.

Agreed. While not having data, I suspect many of the model that did not become as popular as they could be(i.e. mini recon) because of the coated blade. It should be easy for manufacturers to look up the sales number for coated vs uncoated version of the same models from across the industry. I sincerely hope CS put in some basic due diligence on these things. Otherwise it’s just tone deaf(sorry for the strong words).

For reference, Benchmade discontinued 80+ knives this year, most of them are either black coated and/or serrated version of some popular models. They are only going to be making coated versions of some model where it makes sense(i.e. the triage or any police/military oriented models).

It kinda sucks that sometime a model was discontinued not because it had bad design but for silly reasons like having only coated blade or plastic clip. It’s being setup to fail from the beginning. I suspect this is what happened to the Broken Skull too, with that terrible billboarding and the exclusively black blade.

While it’s cool that Lynn enjoys coated blade, all respects to him but the market doesn’t necessarily enjoy it as much. Ultimately the bossman needs to decide whether he wants to make knives only he likes, or starting taking some feedback/data from the market. Im sure CS can find the balance.

Last edited:
As far as the Recon goes, we have discussed making it uncoated however, we're not yet allowed to due to the exclusivity with Blades Canada.
I'm digging up this thread from 2020, sorry about that. Is the agreement (Recon1 with uncoated Blade) with Blade Canada still valid?

I'm digging up this thread from 2020, sorry about that. Is the agreement (Recon1 with uncoated Blade) with Blade Canada still valid?
Not sure of the answer, but CS was bought out by GSM Outdoors and the CS mod you're replying to is no longer here.

Not sure of the answer, but CS was bought out by GSM Outdoors and the CS mod you're replying to is no longer here.
Thanks for your answer, I didn't consider the moderator thing.I knew about the sale of Cold Steel to GSM Outdoors.

Maybe someone else from Cold Steel/GSM Outdoors can respond.

Back