Underrated blades

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by linuxology, Nov 23, 2019.

1. linuxology

linuxology Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Which blade (custom maker or production down to the model if applicable) do you feel is underrated or does not get enough respect.

My answer: Spyderco Caly 3.5 (this blade has perfect ergos and design imo. Does not seem to be can be popular.They picked up on the secondary market for a great deal and many times don't move when I watch them.

Share yours.

halden.doerge likes this.
  2. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 20, 2015
    You may not like my answer : Paring knives.
    Two that I have EDCed are the Cold Steel Kitchen Classic mostly for the superior handle.
    And way, way back in the day the Wusthof because it was available.
    Both are quite thin, decent enough steel and cut circles around knives like my Buck 110 at least for the things I was using it for which obviously did not include bush craft.
    IMG_3533.jpg
    IMG_3288.jpg

Pinemoon, linuxology and marchone like this.
  3. madcap_magician

madcap_magician Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 27, 2005
    White River Knife and Tool and Vehement Knives. Excellent knives, zero forum chatter.

4. BenjaminRush

BenjaminRush Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 17, 2015
    PMP Revenge -- got some positive reviews from the YouTube people but haven't heard a lot on the forums. Big, slicey, and just freaking awesome.

5. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    The Christy companion.
    [​IMG]

onekerf and Dadpool like this.
  6. JDRanger

JDRanger Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 14, 2017
    Guardian Tactical. Very good knives that don’t get much print coverage or forum mentions.

Sigsog226 likes this.
  7. TheJon

TheJon

Apr 12, 2014
    Always surprised the benchmade mini Presidio wasnt more popular. The one I have is by far the best becnhcmade I've ever seen in terms of quality. It's so smooth, not a bad mark on it

8. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    Anza knives. They are kind of different, as we say in Minnesota. Made from files, so the blades are unfashionably thick, a curious blend of art and utility. They have a few fans, but not a huge following. I like them. 5D105B4E-9884-4F6A-90DB-86894904BBA0.jpeg 2BA502FC-824A-4D2A-A2E3-3317FA2C0D04.jpeg

Pinemoon likes this.
  9. marchone

marchone Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2013
    This. ^^^

One of the observations I have made here is that most posters tend to categorize kitchen knives as inferior to all others. IMHO a 4" to 5" paring knife is often indistinguishable to a hunting knife.

10. inkynate

inkynate Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2010
    The semi-recent Spyderco Baby Jess Horn sprint, which has remained available for a looooong time.

11. allenC

allenC

Jun 18, 2000
    Al Mar folders.

onekerf likes this.
  12. Sigsog226

Sigsog226 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2013
    I gotta agree with everything mentioned so far. I was going to say Guardian Tactical otf's too.
    And Hogue, although they have started picking up alot of popularity lately. Took awhile though.

13. justjed

justjed

Oct 23, 2010
    Another vote for White River Knives. Their treatment of S35VN leaves little to be desired.
    The Sendero Classic is a first-class using knife. Don't know why more people aren't carrying one.
    I'll probably wind up with another Classic and an M1 Caper, not necessarily in that order.

Also, Anza knives are as tough as Tops, but somewhat limited in style due to the raw materials(files) and stock removal method of manufacture.
    Still, they're worth every penny for a using knife.

14. madcap_magician

madcap_magician Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 27, 2005
    WRK&T's fit and finish is CRK-like, as well. Gorgeous polished stonewash blade finish, and all the edge are radiused and polished... even on the $95 paracord-wrapped Backpacker. Incredible work.

Jason Chambers and CoryMc like this.
  15. razorburn

razorburn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2007
    I'd have to say the Cold Steel broken skull a great value.

16. CoryMc

CoryMc Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 3, 2016
    A big third for White River knives. The fit is incredible for the price and they are the sharpest out of box I’ve ever experienced.
    82B1D3F0-6F8B-4FF3-9DFE-3004F5D54F57.jpeg

17. shortwinger

shortwinger Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2010
    I would have to say the Grohmann Canadian Belt knife, specifically the Original Pattern #1 and the Army/Boat/Yachsman #3. I have carried the #3 daily for hunting and at work and can't say enough about it. When I first got it I thought it would fit a narrow job description but after watching one of the Canadian Armed Forces guys do a long term review and talk about hard use over a many years I began using it as a fixed blade edc. It hasn't let me down and is a pleasure in hand.

18. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Case Mini Copperlock.

Lander boy Matt likes this.