Underrated CS products

Discussion in 'Cold Steel Knives' started by DangerZone98, May 7, 2020.

1. nephron

nephron Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 3, 2017
    Kwaiken can fly under the radar in the innocuous Saya, looks like a reading glass case at first glance. Beautiful Damascus Blade too.

IMG_3162.jpg IMG_3164.jpg IMG_3161.jpg

2. 45Shooter

45Shooter

Mar 30, 2001
    The bowie machetes are very under rated. Not as machetes - blades too short - but as a fighting bowie. Big, light, fast - easy to sharpen (including the clip for a back cut) and easy to mod. Cheap enough that if you lose or destroy one, it's not exactly a tragedy.

willc, Smiling, dogstar and 1 other person like this.
  3. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    I’ve always been curious about Cold Steel’s 1055 knives but online reviews mentioning uneven grinds, less-than-ideal edge retention, and soft heat treatment gave me pause. I’m referring to the 1055 Kukris, Black Bear knife, Latin machete, gladius, etc.

dogstar likes this.
  4. dogstar

dogstar

Jan 23, 2011
    Well, those are cheap machetes, but they are functional. I own a couple and they don't disappoint.

5. upnorth

upnorth

Nov 25, 2006
    Not only that. But they can also be modified into extremely close renditions of the British Fur Trade Dag, particularly the Shanghai Warrior. Some of you Fur Trade/ Mountain Man reenactors, or appreciators, might consider this. Look at pictures of Fur Trade Dags and it jumps right out.

Smiling, DangerZone98 and dogstar like this.
  6. Kels73

Kels73 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2012
    When I think underrated, the Recon 1 comes to mind. The Cold Steel community regards it highly, but I don't feel that it gets the praise it deserves in the broader knife community.

I also agree with what others have said about the American Lawman. I put it in the same category as the PM2. It is a fantastic EDC.

jux t, DocJD and insta9ves like this.
  7. whp

whp

Apr 26, 2009
    This could have been my post. Totally agree with both assessments.

DangerZone98 likes this.
  8. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    “In the broader knife community,” that’s true. Based on the EDC threads, most folks seem to prefer ZTs, Hinderers, CRKs, and there’s nothing wrong with that. Those are very fine knives too.

As a knife user though, I do think you’re missing out if you skip the Recon 1. It’s a solid, satisfying tank of a knife.

9. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    Medium Espada IMO is the best of the Espada series, it's probably the strongest knife of this size. I didn't know it was discontinued until i tried to buy another last night. It's a bummer :-(

[​IMG]

razorburn, DangerZone98 and willc like this.
  10. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    The Bush Ranger is another very underrated cold steel that's seldom talked about. This is actually a great design, and it really should have been much more popular. Great comfortable handle, great steel, great medium size. I think the thickness and the bowie shape may have contributed to its lesser popularity, since people carry knife of this size prefer slightly thinner handle for EDC.

However i would like to change a few things which i think will make it better:
    1. Make the handle slightly thinner, NOT TOO THIN, maybe old-school American Lawman thick. Right now it's a bit too thick. I like thick handle, but this is a bit too much.
    2. Use thumbstud instead of thumbplate, like the cheapo bush ranger version.
    3. Maybe make the blade spear/drop point instead of clip point. Even better maybe make a spear point version in addition to the clip point version.

I've heard people asking for a no-choil American Lawman, i think the able change will make it very close to that.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    razorburn and DangerZone98 like this.
  11. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    [​IMG]

willc and razorburn like this.
  12. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    Nice, you got it in XHP too. I’ll probably just get the Aus10a large version in the future.

The Espada XL makes for an awesome meme, but that’s pretty much it lol.

insta9ves likes this.
  13. afishhunter

afishhunter Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 21, 2014
    Finn Bear, GI Tanto, Kudu, Eland, and (not a bowie) Bushman?

Not a knife, but I've seen little, if any mention of the "Torpedo" throwing thingamajig, and the various spears, as well.
    I'd guess they are somewhat underappriciated too?

DangerZone98 likes this.
  14. 115Italian

115Italian

Nov 13, 2015
    Just picked one up. Cant wait to use it tomorrow.

DangerZone98 likes this.
  15. 115Italian

115Italian

Nov 13, 2015
    I think cold steel is under rated in general by the knife community. They’ve added a lot to the knife culture and in my opinion deserve to be placed in the top category of knife companies. They have great designs and affordable prices with quality steel not matter the type.
    Anyone can get a cold steel knife thanks to their selection of knives and price levels. Their lite lines are and awesome thing. Hats off to making great knives.

16. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    She’s a gem alright. Hope you enjoy your new knife. :)

115Italian likes this.
  17. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    I don’t see AK-47s a whole lot in the CS forum. This one’s another fine knife.

[​IMG]

18. cistercian

cistercian Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 22, 2015
    I ordered a Frenzy 2 last night. I have been meaning to get one for awhile...
    I can't wait for it to get here. My biggest folder will remain my Ti Lite 6" in aluminum and S35VN.
    But the frenzy should be quite a bit more pocketable and weighs a lot less.

Too bad they did not sell well as it looks like an excellent design.

DocJD and DangerZone98 like this.
  19. Dadpool

Dadpool Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2015
    The Frenzy is outstanding. Every longer knife I consider buying gets weighed against it.

nephron, cistercian and DangerZone98 like this.
  20. whp

whp

Apr 26, 2009

A wide selection of quality knives at relatively bargain prices. Without a doubt, the best bargains on the knife market currently. That s what map pricing has done to the competitors, put the burden of the inefficient business practices of some knife retailers on the backs of the consumers.
    Keep up the good work Cold Steel.