Underwater Kinetics SL4 Flashlight

First a brief description:
ABS body with polycarbonate bezel, watertight to 500 ft. VERY high intensity Xenon bulb, takes 4 "C" cell batteries. Positive on/off switch. Green and black Nylon cord lanyard with black plastic barrel type clamp and a rubber sleeve which fits over the wrist area.

I was at Ruff's earlier this week and decided I wanted to try this light out, so I bought it kind of half heartedly.
When I compared it against my 4 "D" cell Maglite, the difference in brightness was nothing short of astounding. The Maglite has a Krypton bulb(twice as bright as a normal bulb) but still it looked like a candle next to the SL4.
The sheer intensity of this light has to be seen to be really appreciated. I believe it is as bright as a Police patrol car spotlight. Maybe brighter.
The 4 "C" cells ride next to each other, in pairs, in the "handle" of the flashlight making for a wide body. The body is somewhat textured for a surer grip.
The switch is located under the bulb and is the only area of contention I have with this flashlight. The switch is hard on the finger or thumb, whichever is used to activate it.
The thing is HARD to engage and dis-engage and the traction provided digs into the skin unmercilously. I believe this will start to correct itself as the switch is cycled and "broken in".
The light of the flashlight itself has no dark spots in the beam and outside of the initial beam the entire area in front of you is bathed in a softer light. Inside of that primary beam is Candlepower Hell. If you look at this light, you'll swear you just looked at the face of the sun at high noon on a sunny summer day. I highly advise against doing this, unless of course, you like having blind spots in your field of vision.
biggrin.gif

In conclusion:
I am amazed at the sheer light power that comes out of this relatively compact package. If you see one at your favorite outdoor sports dealer, get him to let you see for yourself what a lightbright monster this flashlight is. I paid less than $25.00 for mine and I feel I came out with the better part of the deal. Bye-Bye Maglites...

------------------
The individualist without strategy who takes opponents lightly will inevitably become the captive of others.
Sun Tzu

I have had a couple of theses lights and always carried one in my BC pocket when diving. I left one with our divemaster in Cozumel in 97 and then won one in one of the games at Diver's Splash.

Great little light. I think the 4AA has a little more bang for it's size and is a little more versatile as well.

THe SL6 is a great light as well.

------------------
Clay Fleischer
clay_fleischer@yahoo.com
AKTI Member A000847

Back