Uneven bevel grind on a Seal Team Elite?

Is this normal on a Seal Team Elite with serration? Here's how the bevel look like.

Please look at the picture that says "Asymmetrical V"

knife_types.png

depends on how much and where. Are you meaning the serrated portion? in which case, yes, they are only ground on one side. As for the rest, there will be a slight difference, there almost always is on most knives I've seen, especially those which a partial serration.

More obvious around the tip area. When I look at the tip, it would look like the pic of asymmetrical V.

I have found that asymmetry at the tip on factory knives to be not so uncommon. However usually they are pretty small
and you have to really look very hard. The STE example above is more blatant than I have seen. Is there more asymmetry
on the rest of the blade?

I remember the seal 2000
And How the serrations
Had Caused the secondary bevel
To be grossly non symmetrical
When the knife's profile was viewed from either side.
I think it has to do with trying not ruin the teeth of the serrations
During the sharpening process.
Unfortunately, these serrations
gets in the way of grinding the secondary bevels surface
Into a more perfectly aligned fine edge.
Always give some thought about partial serrated edges on a knife
Especially if you have trouble with the idea of having to sharpening in the long term.

If the asymmetry is that blatant and enough to bother you I would see if I can return it and get it exchanged.

I've NEVER incountered that in ESEE, or kabar. But have many times from SOG. 'Multiple' grinds on a blade are more difficult to obtain evenly than flat, or more simple grinds. This is why I' m not pulling the trigger for a SOG 2.0 Bowie which I really want. SOG has lost sales in my opinion, for this reason.

I've NEVER incountered that in ESEE, or kabar. But have many times from SOG. 'Multiple' grinds on a blade are more difficult to obtain evenly than flat, or more simple grinds. This is why I' m not pulling the trigger for a SOG 2.0 Bowie which I really want. SOG has lost sales in my opinion, for this reason.

I had an Esee 4 with a terrible grind like that. It is a production knife. Variation should be expected.

I remember the seal 2000
And How the serrations
Had Caused the secondary bevel
To be grossly non symmetrical
When the knife's profile was viewed from either side.
I think it has to do with trying not ruin the teeth of the serrations
During the sharpening process.
Unfortunately, these serrations
gets in the way of grinding the secondary bevels surface
Into a more perfectly aligned fine edge grind and seal .
Always give some thought about partial serrated edges on a knife
Especially if you have trouble with the idea of having to sharpening in the long term.
the appearance of a bevel on a knife can vary depending on the design and intended use of the knife. Serrations on a knife can also affect the appearance of the bevel. If you are concerned about the bevel on your knife or have any questions about its appearance, it may be helpful to consult with a knife expert or the manufacturer of the knife for more information.

Small asymmetries are just a sign that your knife was sharpened by a human and not a robot. If the robot had made a same, it would have self-destructed because ROBOTS don't make mistakes.

futurama-bender.gif

Back